View Poll Results: Strong or Support Side for Pocket BUG?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strong Side

16 39.02%
  • Support Side

25 60.98%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket BUG: Strong or Support Side

Hammertime

Pocket BUG: Strong or Support Side

For years I carried a pocket pistol on my support side, figuring it was best if I could get either hand on a gun should the situation require it. Lately I have carried strong side, leaving the support side available for pepper spray or flashlight, and allowing me to shoot with my dominant hand.

I don't know the right answer. My main concern for strong side is that I may just forget about the much better gun AIWB and draw the pocket under stress. My main concern support side is that I don't shoot all that fast with my non dominant hand.

What are the collective thoughts? This may be more of a Mindset and Tactics post so apologies if I picked the wrong subforum.

I typically do what you do. If it’s my BUG it’s support side since there is a full size pistol on my strong side. On the rare occasion a pocket gun is my only gun it’s in the strong side pocket. That’s usually just at home lounging around.

Support side for the reasons you mention or if it has to be transferred to a trained companion.

That said, I have the same questions you do, so I look forward to responses to this one.

I always liked the idea of back up on the left but the P&S Snubbies vid made me rethink where it went. The scenario where having a hand in the pocket during or pre contact seems more likely than the weak hand ninja draw. If shits bad enough that you need to access a second weapon, it’s probably bad enough to use the weapon hand you shoot bestest and fastest with....unless your intent is to leverage it for contact shots for FUT extrication.

I vote support since the only time I carry a bug is on duty and I couldn’t get it out of my strong side pocket
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Support side.

Balance.

Gun available to either hand.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    I always liked the idea of back up on the left but the P&S Snubbies vid made me rethink where it went. The scenario where having a hand in the pocket during or pre contact seems more likely than the weak hand ninja draw. If shits bad enough that you need to access a second weapon, it’s probably bad enough to use the weapon hand you shoot bestest and fastest with....unless your intent is to leverage it for contact shots for FUT extrication.
    That is exactly what convinced me to change as well. Thanks for stating it so clearly.

Hammertime
    I will add a support side caution: mags can pop out in the pocket because the typical mag release is exposed and can be pressed when you lean on hard surfaces.

I have been known to shave down the release to prevent this as I don’t intend to ever reload the pocket gun in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I will add a support side caution: mags can pop out in the pocket because the typical mag release is exposed and can be pressed when you lean on hard surfaces.

I have been known to shave down the release to prevent this as I don’t intend to ever reload the pocket gun in a hurry.
    Another option is to use a holster that protects it. I have one of these for each side.

http://www.detroitholster.com/store/product/john-r/

Whichever side you pick, it seems to me it would be best to make it permanent... Under stress you don't want to reach in the wrong pocket.

User Tag List