Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other bad grandparents out there?

Any other bad grandparents out there?

I’m sorry, I know grandparents are supposed to be all lovey-dovey, but I wouldn’t mind a bit if the whiny brats never came around.

I think raising their parents cured me of any desire to be around children.

Doesn’t every family need a grouchy old fart who the kids are afraid of?

Site Supporter
    My daughter and granddaughter moved out of state and I miss them both terribly. Granddaughter is a well-behaved 13 year old.

So no, I can't say I relate to your sentiment and I'm glad.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I’m sorry, I know grandparents are supposed to be all lovey-dovey, but I wouldn’t mind a bit if the whiny brats never came around.

That sucks. It must be hard. If you don't mind me asking how involved were you with your kids?

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    That sucks. It must be hard. If you don't mind me asking how involved were you with your kids?
    The Boomers I know in real life with that same outlook toward their grandchildren are the same ones who only did the absolute bare minimum with their kids. It's just easier to pass it off as being a grumpy old fart in your old age than it is to admit that you probably regretted having kids and it showed in your parenting.

Or I could be totally wrong.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    No.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Only 1 so far but my goal is to be as good a Grandpa to him as mine was to me. That goes for however many grandkids we end up with...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    I miss my kids being little, love my little nieces and nephews, and wish both these stinking adult children I have would get on with finding someone and get to baby makin so I can be a grandpa.

Get off my lawn.

Those folks usually die alone in a hospital with nobody to speak for them. Those whiny brats and their parents usually reciprocate in kind. So no...estrangement from family is usually not a good thing.
    Last edited by Paul D; 09-26-2019 at 10:15 PM.

I'm an occasionally moody artist type with a 10 year-old grand-daughter and a 4 year old grandson, both of whom I see daily.
    They are my shot at Immortality, and I cannot allow mere pique to color that.

I had one grandfather who was difficult. The other grandfather had a few prickly moments, but was otherwise the sort of man I hope to be. I still cherish & remember our conversations and the lessons he tried to impart. He's been gone 29 years and I still miss him and think of him almost daily. My brother & cousins feel the same.
    I hope to be that sort of force for good in my grandkids' lives.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Let me throw this out there -

All but one of my grandparents are dead. The one left is a piece of shit who should have died decades ago. I haven't even seen her in 20'ish years and when she is dead, it'll be good riddance to her. Two of the other three (maternal grandparents) were also pieces of shit who lived far too long and though they died painful deaths, they didn't come soon enough nor were they harsh enough to mete out the justice that was needed.

Out of four grandparents, 3 of them are pieces of shit I'm glad are dead and/or I hope will soon be dead. Only one, my Paternal Grandfather wasn't a complete piece of shit. Unfortunately - he was the first of my grandparents to die and has been dead for nearly 20 years. He is the only one I miss and I was all of 14 when he died and didn't get much time with him. I wish I had, because I never really got to know him well or spend time with him.

I carried my Paternal Grandfather's casket and laid him to rest as a pallbearer. I don't even know where my maternal grandparents are buried, nor do I care.

- Do you want to be the one who is missed or the one who is good riddanced?

Think about it. You have an opportunity to spend time with the next generation and even instill in them some of Grandpa's passion and life. When you're gone, they'll either smile when they recall the happy days, even if they are few and far between, or they'll be happy you're dead. Maybe they are a bit bratty, try talking to the kids (your kids not the grandkids) about that.

User Tag List