Thread: 3 gun, red dot zeroing, and other basic shotgun questions

3 gun, red dot zeroing, and other basic shotgun questions

I assume most of these answers are out there, but I’m having difficulty finding them so figured I might as well ask here since we have a number of resident shotgunners.

I’m hoping to shoot my first 3 gun event in early October. I’ve done a number of pistol and rifle classes and some USPSA but have never been close to any 3 gun matches so I know that I’m going to get wrecked in shotgun. I have a bunch of scattered thoughts and context, but for brevity’s sake here’s some background: I typically carry rifle and pistol mags in HSGI tacos on a Ronin belt. The way it’s setup gives me two rifle mags, three pistol, plus dump pouch and an RTI’d Safariland holster. I have a few different chest rigs if I really needed to carry more ammo but often throw my starting mag in a pants pocket during classes. I have nothing for shells. My only shotgun is a pump 870 that’s mostly stock aside from a Mesa saddle and Aridus CROM with Vortex Crossfire mounted. Probably obvious that my stuff is oriented more towards the “tactical” realm which may have some downsides in competition but I prefer it that way. The few USPSA matches I’ve shot have all been with my Roland Special and I’d rather have dedicated fighting equipment that can work in competition than the other way around. That being said, here are some questions:

1. Does anyone have a solution for carrying spare ammo without having to significantly readjust the rest of my equipment?
    2. Has anyone had poor results with 00 Flitecontrol at 25 yards? I was trying to pattern and zero my dot for it but the only range where I can shoot buck goes from 10 to 25 and the spread between those two distances was significant. I’m wondering if it’s the choke that I have in the gun, I don’t remember exactly what it is but I think it’s an improved cylinder.
    3. Going along with the above - any differences in zeroing procedure from a rifle? I was shooting between 3-5 rounds and then trying to adjust off of those, but the spread made it near impossible. Start with slugs first maybe just to ensure I’m mostly on paper at 25?
    4. Knowing nothing of the target array at the local 3 gun, is there a specific GP load I should look at for competition? I know it all has to be lead, and birdshot has to be between #6-9, but they mention slugs as well. Should I look at having both?
    5. Besides being able to run the gun efficiently, what am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) A couple of four shell holders like these - https://www.safariland.com/miscellan...ier-34768.html - You may have to move stuff on your belt.

2) The shot pattern will probably be 8-12" in diameter at 25-yards. I dunno how big your dot is, but you aren't likely going to hit the whole shot column on the dot at that distance. If you're putting all the pellets in a pie-plate circle at 25 you're doing fine. If not, then yes, you might need to open the choke up a bit (cylinder should be the next loosest). The choke can affect the wad in FC and cause it to produce erratic patterns.

3) Yes you could try with slugs first. If anything, I'd swap chokes first and then deal with everything else.

4) Yes. Whichever patterns best at 25-yards with same choke that your slugs and buckshot hit with.

5) With an optic on the shotgun you'll be in Open Class and you're gonna get DESTROYED, but that's okay, have fun.

If you have a CROM and don't mind yanking the dot, then I'd sight the sights with birdshot out to 25 and slugs out to 50 (or know your holdover for 50) and shoot it that way. This way you'll be more competitive. But that's me.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    1. Does anyone have a solution for carrying spare ammo without having to significantly readjust the rest of my equipment?
    So first off, ditch the Mesa side saddle and get either the Aridus or Vang side saddles for your gun. They are far better.

For carrying more shells for reloads a method that I like is the Gunner Solutions Easy-8 carrier:

https://gunnersolutions.com/products...n-carbon-black

It's set up to allow for at least twin loading, which is going to be useful in 3 gun.

2. Has anyone had poor results with 00 Flitecontrol at 25 yards? I was trying to pattern and zero my dot for it but the only range where I can shoot buck goes from 10 to 25 and the spread between those two distances was significant. I’m wondering if it’s the choke that I have in the gun, I don’t remember exactly what it is but I think it’s an improved cylinder.
    A change of distance of 15 yards will certainly have a dramatic impact on any buckshot...even FFC in many barrels. You can certainly try using a cylinder choke in the gun to see if that improves your longer range patterns. If that doesn't help, you can try swapping barrels. Or you can have your barrel worked on by Vang Comp with their FFC package that usually significantly reduces pattern sizes at 25 yards.

3. Going along with the above - any differences in zeroing procedure from a rifle? I was shooting between 3-5 rounds and then trying to adjust off of those, but the spread made it near impossible. Start with slugs first maybe just to ensure I’m mostly on paper at 25?
    Slugs will only work if they hit to the same point of aim as your buckshot...which at this point you don't know. If you will be shooting slugs at distance in competition a fair bit, it might be useful to zero with your slug of choice and see where your buckshot ends up in relation to your slug zero. My general advice on zero is to zero the gun for the ammunition and situations you are going to be using it in most. If you do some experimentation you should be able to find a slug that will hit close to your buckshot, or vice/versa. I find that Federal's TruBall slugs tend to hit to the same point of aim as Flight Control in my guns. Not a guarantee for your gun because they're all a little bit different, but it's worth a shot.

4. Knowing nothing of the target array at the local 3 gun, is there a specific GP load I should look at for competition? I know it all has to be lead, and birdshot has to be between #6-9, but they mention slugs as well. Should I look at having both?
    I'd say so. The exact target arrays you can end up dealing with may vary from knocking down steel (buckshot is good for that at distance, or the heaviest birdshot you can get away with) to breaking clays to shooting slugs at targets 100 yards away. It all depends on what your match director has for resources, range layout, and creative desire.

5. Besides being able to run the gun efficiently, what am I missing?
    Maybe go to a match and watch it as a spectator once to see what sort of shooting tasks are common to help guide your setup.
    3/15/2016

If you’re running a true Roland Special, you’ll be in Open due to the comp. if that’s the case then I’d keep the dot on your 870. You’ll be at a disadvantage since it’s a relatively low capacity pump. Open shotguns tend to be high cap in excess of 10 rounds (if mag fed) or they’ll be using speed loaders.

Very few of the 3g matches I’ve shot required buckshot, most were geared towards birdshot. I kept a few high brass #6 shells in my gear for spinners. Mostly I used 7 1/2 or 8 loads, whatever was cheapest and ran my semi-auto reliably. I typically used low recoil slugs. Never had an issue where my slugs and birdshot were not hitting in the same place. There’s a few places making really light 3/4 slugs strictly for gun games, but I never used them.

I’ve been using a mag fed shotgun for years so I’m not sure which is the best set up for the load 2 or load 4 method.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I zero my red dot pistols, PCCarbines, and shotguns with slugs, all at 25 yards.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Appreciate the replies so far. I'm fine with keeping what I've got and getting destroyed in my class. That's kind of why I mentioned the RS - I've gotten some looks at USPSA matches shooting open class with a Glock, but I like using it and my MOLLE belt for now. Maybe if I do it enough that I'm more competitive, I'll start tailoring guns and gear towards competition, but at the moment, I enjoy being able to compete with the same gun I carry. That being said, I probably won't put any more money towards the 870 like the VC barrel, just because I know I'm going to want a semi like the 1301 as soon as I shoot this match.

For the FC, I wasn't really able to find actual groups on the target, which is two feet wide and 19 inches tall. I think there were even some fliers off the target. I should have shot it at 10 instead of going straight to 25 and spending all of my on hand ammo there, but they took forever to call the range cold and I'd expected better based off of stuff I'd seen online.

If your not getting 8-12" patterns at 25 yards then try a cylinder choke.

I shoot 3gun with a molle belt a SOE shotgun micro rig, a 1911 and a shockwave with a rmr.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I zero my red dot pistols, PCCarbines, and shotguns with slugs, all at 25 yards.
    I am just getting into shotguns. I got a benelli m4 and am putting a RMR on it. If I zero at 25, I would assume there will be offset at close range?

Also, Is there a recommended side carrier for the m4?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List