Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911 GSP Build

I could be pretty happy with a milspec with a tritium front sight and nothing else. As long as it doesn't have the new roll mark.

I've seen used loadeds for $600ish fwiw that seem to be what you want and would need less work done.
    My EDC
    Name:  KIMG1050.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  78.4 KB
    Name:  KIMG1052.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  102.8 KB
    Last edited by 03RN; 09-26-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Wondering Beard,sir the pistol pictured with the Gunsite hat is the one that I had and the one I'd like again.Thank you all again.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    As long as it doesn't have the new roll mark.
    What's with the new roll mark hate? Or to put it another way, what's with the billboard roll mark love?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I had one of the original GSP's, built on a Springfield (just like the one in the photo with the hat). The only option on these was an ambi-safety for southpaws. The front sight was silver soldered into a longitudinal pocket cut into the slide and the rear sight was a rounded Robbie Barrkman design that fit the GI dovetail. The pistol was well-dehorned and business-like.

I was a bit underwhelmed by it. The hammer's half-cock notch was contacting the sear when the hammer dropped and the bushing lug was soft and the bushing was pounding itself out of the slide. Also, the mag well wasn't beveled. I ended up selling it.

The lack of a modern high-swept beavertail was a negative too. I know Cooper hated these and mocked them as "ducktails" but they are a real benefit to shooter comfort.

John Harrison makes a rear sight that is a slightly gussied-up version of the rear sight used on the GSP. It is the best GI-dovetail rear sight available.

Rosco
    Last edited by Rosco Benson; 09-27-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    Wondering Beard,sir the pistol pictured with the Gunsite hat is the one that I had and the one I'd like again.Thank you all again.
    I'd contact John Harrison for that job. I believe he has a package (the basic one) that covers pretty much what you want.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I'd contact John Harrison for that job. I believe he has a package (the basic one) that covers pretty much what you want.
    And prepare to wait.

John Harrison's work is top notch but his waiting list is pretty long. He will take on certain small jobs that use his parts and don't require milling.

a build of that spec is pretty simple for most good smiths, and doesn't require milling

Silver solder front sight
    Harrison or hardball rear sight
    bushing/link
    trigger job
    thumb safety
    dehorn

it's the frontstrap that will be the holdup if you want serrations or checkering

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    What's with the new roll mark hate? Or to put it another way, what's with the billboard roll mark love?
    Just personal preference. I think it's gross looking. I also don't like Dan wesson roll marks. Between the font and the placement I just don't like them.

Springfields and colts are aestheticly pleasing to me

Thanks again gentleman.Mr. Harrison does beautiful work but it's well beyond my needs.TOTS did make the admonishment of my wallet knowing what might happen.Any suggestions on competent gunsmiths?Thanks again.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    Thanks again gentleman.Mr. Harrison does beautiful work but it's well beyond my needs.TOTS did make the admonishment of my wallet knowing what might happen.Any suggestions on competent gunsmiths?Thanks again.
    Contact Evolution Armory. They aren't cheap but may be able to meet your requirements within your budget.

https://www.evolutionarmory.com/

User Tag List