Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Sparks fly at assault-weapons ban hearing on Capitol Hill

Just throwing this out there.
    Our public range and the PD range basically share a single fenced in facility.
    All local, state and fed LE drives right past the firing line to get to their section.
    All I've ever seen is "smile and wave" as bump stock (maybe actual FA, I don't really look at them either) dirt clod shooters burn through cases of ammunition.
    Same with suppressors and SBR's even before the proliferation of braced AR pistols.
    I've never seen a single concerned inquiry as to their legality.

In free parts of the country nobody gives a shit about what guns you own (and openly shoot) unless they're used in an actual criminal act.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    As someone who lived through the 94 ban right when I was seriously getting into shooting and now have been cursed to end up in the second most firearms hostile metro area of the US I have noticed a couple things about the few anti's who actually know what they are doing. They are Fabian in their tactics and know that their laws will take years to yield the desired affects. Crime control is not their intent as they are smart enough to know that the bad guy will always be able to get guns. Their intent is the destruction of the gun culture as we know it in America. They will ban our ARs and similar guns and know that we will keep them, but for most of us - they will remain at home as we do not want to risk the criminal penalties that would come with getting caught with them. We will not be able to train with them or enjoy them. Not only with our skill with them atrophy, but we will not be able to pass our passions on to the next generation. Then when we die, our children or grandchildren will not see the use in keeping them around and will happily turn them in for a pair of tickets to the Warriors game. In two generations - the "Well Regulated Militia" of the Bill of Rights will cease to be much concern.
    Funny you make this point. I live in TX, but I'm a refugee from CA and pay attention to what happens there as if it matters to me. Your post is what doing that has taught me.

The real target is conservatism generally. The Venn overlap between gun culture and conservative culture just makes guns a convenient proxy - a back door attack against conservatism generally.

Not saying classic Liberals can't be interested in guns or see the value of self defense or 2A, but statistically, that's not where the numbers are.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Just throwing this out there.
    Our public range and the PD range basically share a single fenced in facility.
    All local, state and fed LE drives right past the firing line to get to their section.
    All I've ever seen is "smile and wave" as bump stock (maybe actual FA, I don't really look at them either) dirt clod shooters burn through cases of ammunition.
    Same with suppressors and SBR's even before the proliferation of braced AR pistols.
    I've never seen a single concerned inquiry as to their legality.

In free parts of the country nobody gives a shit about what guns you own (and openly shoot) unless they're used in an actual criminal act.
    Yeah but all that stuff is (or in the case of bumpstocks was legal) even if some was NFA regulated. Plus binary triggers, while dumb are still legal. So no one has predication to go out of their way to look into it at the range. If an Australia style AWB went into effect things would be different.

Also just because YOU are not aware of inquiries doesn’t mean they don’t occur.

Myself and other LE members of PF get those inquiries all the time. Often they are AR pistols or shockwaves rather than SBS/SBR but not always. In the last month I’ve had an unregistered sawed off shotgun discovered during an eviction and a full auto Glock with one of the Wish.com back plates recovered in a search warrant. Things come up during house fires, car accidents, medical calls etc. Had an ambulance crew on a medical call discover an elderly gentleman with several Korean and Vietnam war frag grenades. Stuff happens.

Not to mention even on private land you shouldn’t piss off your neighbors and fire your bump stock equipped rifle in the middle of the night.....

Site Supporter
    I grew up in a house with two WW2 era sub machine guns brought home from the war. A friend had a belt fed German machine gun under his bed. These guns were not uncommon. In my world nobody cared. In the amnesty of 1968 I registered mine. Knowing the law, I chose not to continue violating it. Today these toys without paperwork would place me in a federal pen.

I am rabidly 2A. However, I don't buy into the they made me a criminal mindset. We make choices. I can't tell another what to decide but will say this. If you are doing time in a federal lockup while your family faces financial hardship at home, perhaps you made the wrong choice.

So we had best get busy and counteract this push. We need competent leadership. We need to enlist help where we can--from those who don't look like us and from those with different preferences. We need to educate those from the duck and skeet crowd if they are ambivalent.

I have heard that some gun forums have members who say that 5 is enough. I have not seen this. If someone can pm me about this website, then I will join with the purpose of educating. Perhaps we should spread out and join such forums.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    btw: if we can hold out for 5 more years or so, my 16 year old sons generation is somewhere to the right of Ghenghis Khan on the conservatism scale.
    These kids are freakin animals when it comers to wanting freedom and melting snowflakes.
    This. I see this so much now.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I hope you are right.

I see what you are saying but I do see a difference in the demographic of the people who are into the drug culture and the gun culture although I admit there is some overlap. Also it is a lot easier to do a line of coke, a pipe of crack, or smoke a joint than it is to train to proficiency on a rifle.

One thing for sure - we are going to find out first hand one way or the other.
    I see a lot of kids doing things: programming, jits, shooting, more than I ever have. Some of the ~16 demographic is pretty different than the 20-somethings now...

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The real target is conservatism generally. The Venn overlap between gun culture and conservative culture just makes guns a convenient proxy - a back door attack against conservatism generally.
    If the forum will allow me to place my tin foil hat on and recall the stories I grew up hearing from my grandparents about the Bolshevik takeover of the old country - it is all for the advance of Globalism/Internationalism/SoftMarksism/Neo-Communism/Neo-Feudalism/Statism (whatever you want to call it). Traditional American values are the real target, semi-automatic, military style rifles are simply the canary in the mine shaft.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 09-26-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I have heard that some gun forums have members who say that 5 is enough. I have not seen this. If someone can pm me about this website, then I will join with the purpose of educating. Perhaps we should spread out and join such forums.
    Realistically - 5 AR pattern rifles, 5 AK pattern rifles, 5 AR-10/M14/FAL/HK91 pattern rifles, 5 various shotguns, 5 various .22s for training, and 5 each of your preferred self defense pistol, probably is enough.

Site Supporter
    I have seen 5 is enough - here's one: https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139801

Here's another nuance. I've shot with HCM at a class and in matches. Do I put him at employment risk by breaking the law in front of him?

I agree that opposition to gun ownership has a totemic value for those not conservative. Some conservatives feed into that by demanding conservative ideology purity from all gun owners.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I have seen 5 is enough - here's one: https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139801
    First, nobody in that thread is saying you shouldn't carry more. They're offering their opinion that 5 is enough to them. I know at least one of the posters personally (he's a frequent guest at my house and will be here this weekend). I know for a fact he supports your right to carry whatever you want in whatever quantities you desire. For him, the answer is a 5-shot snub, not a limit on your right to carry whatever you want.

Also, that thread is 17 years old and was started during the AWB when high/standard cap magazines were "problematic", putting many folks in a situation of carrying revolvers or single-stack autos. The political and social situation is different now.

BTW, I was actively carrying either a 5-shot j-frame or a KT P32 and an active member at TFL, so when I saw that thread I was thinking "please don't let there be a post by a much younger mtnbkr there..."

Chris

Five is enough?

I mean I guess five of the same model is enough...for some people.

Right now my target number is 49 (wife said if I had 50 before we bought a house, we’re getting a divorce. But 49 is GTG). I’m eh...halfway’ish there?

I don’t really know, because I’ve never counted.

User Tag List