Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drills to Evaluate Differences Between Pocket Guns

Hammertime

Drills to Evaluate Differences Between Pocket Guns

I am on a bit of a pocket gun kick and would like to compare a few different guns on how they perform from the pocket. It would be good if any drills involved emphasized the differences between pistols and revolvers. Looking for suggestions or critique on what I propose below:

Most of the important differences between pocket guns probably involve weight, size, reliability and safety of carry in pocket, rather than shooting, but what I am asking for here are a couple shooting drills.

I am thinking:

1. Average Time to first shot to a 4" dot at 7 yards, starting with hand holding grip of gun. Figure ten rounds. I hope and suspect the various types of pocket pistols would be about the same for this. I have noticed, however, that pistols, especially as they get larger are more difficult to retrieve from the pocket or snag much more than a revolver.

2. Average time to first shot to a 4" dot at 7 yards starting outside the pocket. I have found the narrower grips tend to be easier to stick the hand in pocket to grab. In fact, just getting the hand in pocket in a hurry is a real downside of pocket carry as a primary carry method.

I am not sure that multiple shot drills are really significant, but I could use them to compare shot to shot time small pistol to smaller pistol to revolver?

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Ken Hackathorn Wizard Drill

https://youtu.be/GTZoi_3fE_Q
    I really like that one!

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Very helpful. Thanks for digging those links up.

Site Supporter
    Not a problem. I took Claude's class at Karl's, so they were in my memory bank.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Ken Hackathorn Wizard Drill

https://youtu.be/GTZoi_3fE_Q
    I like this drill. Five shots and you know.

I like to use a 5 shot neutral drill so that ammo capacity is not as critical for the test.

I thought I remembered doing something like this in the past. I checked my records and here it is. DOTW 168.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....vorite-Weapons

This adds some distance shooting.

I’ll second the suggestion of the “Wizard”; quick, low round count, can be run fairly easily.
    At the end of the day, it’s about the trigger, and how one works it.
    So, I’d throw in a “5 yard Roundup” and the Week 338 Drill Of the Week: CC pistol drill by Ed Head, GUNSITE Instructor
    IMHO, aggregate scores should give you an idea of how different guns perform.
    If you want to evaluate performance at distance, shoot a B8 at 25 yards, 10 rounds in 4 minutes(first part of FBI “Bullseye”; pocket start for each round.
    JMO...

Site Supporter
    Design drills based on close contact. Time is good. Placement is better. Draw small circles for head and heart. Reduce size on targets with defined head and chest areas. Sometimes start from hand in pocket, sometimes hand outside pocket. Establish your own par time. Then keep improving.
    • Work on starting draw—pushing off holster—without adversary noticing
    • 1yd, 2yd, 3yd, and so on out to 10 yards
    • Practice firing, stopping, and then reengaging at every distance
    • Practice running away past 10 yards
    • Practice against multiple adversaries
    • Draw thin rectangles on sides of target to represent side shot angles, engage rectangles at close distance
    • Practice distancing from adversary and reloading—empty or not
    • One handed shooting at 1-3yds
    • Weak hand only shooting
    • Dot Torture at 3 yards
    • Ball and dummy rounds throughout—four rounds with one empty case, three with two empty cases, or two with three empty

User Tag List