Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sealift Command activation

Sealift Command activation

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/20...-what-it-does/

U.S. Transportation Command announced this week the largest simultaneous activation of sealift vessels in its history, a stress test of the aging logistics fleet that would be called upon to move up to 90 percent of Army and Marine Corps equipment in the event of a major conflict.
    #RESIST

Wow, never knew we relied on steam powered ships to transport our military equipment in wartime. I though everything was diesel or diesel electric by now, but I don't know much about ships.

Seriously? How unusual is it to run a test like this?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Seriously? How unusual is it to run a test like this?
    I worked next to the base for the Charleston SC RO/RO ships for two years and never saw them go anywhere.

Wikipedia doesn't address "how often."

Through the 1970s and 1980s MSC provided the Department of Defense with ocean transportation. During the first Persian Gulf War, consisting of Operation Desert Shield and Operation Desert Storm, MSC distinguished itself as the largest source of defense transportation of any nation involved. Command resources delivered more than 12 million tons (11 million metric tonnes) of wheeled and tracked vehicles, helicopters, ammunition, dry cargo, fuel and other supplies and equipment during the war. At the high point of the war, more than 230 government-owned and chartered ships delivering the largest part of the international arsenal that defeated Saddam Hussein in Iraq. MSC was also involved in the 2003 invasion of Iraq, delivering 61,000,000 square feet (5.7 km2) of cargo and 1,100,000,000 US gallons (4,200,000 m3) of fuel by the end of the first year.

In August 2017, the Government Accountability Office issued a report detailing readiness issues that limited at-sea mission capabilities, prompting an investigation from the Department of Defense's Inspector General.
    So far as I can tell, neither does MSC's web site.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

https://news.usni.org/2019/09/17/tra...est-since-2003 is USNI News' take on the activation with more detail on the "why now." A relevant quote:

"This type of large exercise had been hinted about since March, when retired Rear Adm. Mark Buzby, the administrator of MARAD, appeared before the House Armed Services readiness and seapower and projection forces subcommittees, Mercogliano said.
    At the time, Buzby told lawmakers both the Ready Reserve Force and the crews operating the vessels were aging. New ships are needed and the merchant marine needs to retain young crewmembers.
    Mercogliano suspects the exercise is occurring now to give Buzby critical information before he heads back to Capitol Hill to provide lawmakers with an updated status of the Ready Reserve Force. Congressional staffers are already discussing Fiscal Year 2021 funding levels. Mercogliano said this is a good time to gauge the readiness of the fleet and for MARAD and TRANSCOM officials to push for funding."

There are other details in the article regarding performance problems in previous activations.

Site Supporter
    This sealift issue is a big deal. You do not move M1s, Bradleys, and Paladins efficiently on airplanes. The ability to project power is what differentiates the US Military from everyone else. Good thing that Desert Storm ended quick as there was a shortage of sealift to get the next wave of Heavy units over the ocean.

If it ain't pre-positioned and it won't fit on an aircraft? Good chance it goes on the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    Wow, never knew we relied on steam powered ships to transport our military equipment in wartime. I though everything was diesel or diesel electric by now, but I don't know much about ships.
    Pretty much every ship is steam powered, just the energy to create the steam comes from more modern sources than coal.
    Last edited by JodyH; 09-25-2019 at 09:50 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List