Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elbow pain and gun choice

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I don’t find the recoil on polymer guns to be as sharp as steel framed guns and I actually prefer it, though to control the recoil I have to apply much more grip pressure.

This. I have found 9mm 1911s and Beretta 92s honestly a little harsh despite their weight. The flex of a polymer seems to take the edge off for me.

Hammertime
    I also find the varied responses in this thread interesting professionally.

The general consensus from studies is that lateral epicondylitis is universal, self limited, and that there is no treatment (stretches, injection, surgery) better than placebo. It gets better on its own over 12-24 months.

All that is still a matter of intense debate amongst upper extremity surgeons who swear this or that treatment works best for their patients of themselves. They just don’t have any good science to support their preference.

I am going to start prescribing Tungsten firearms for my patients who shoot.

Kidding aside, I wonder whether the cause of the pain is lifting a relatively heavy item, or the gripping and response to recoil.

If it is lifting, it seems like a lighter pistol would help, and if it is from gripping and recoil, the heavier gun would help. And, I have no idea whether the Legion frame gives you the benefits of polymer and weight of a steel pistol, or neither.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I'm glad to hear that she's finding some relief.

**I am not a medical professional and I haven't experienced this particular problem**

I also think it's worth looking into the following book. My wife has found nearly immediate short term relief from migraines using the techniques in this book. After several months of treating symptoms, the frequency of migraine flair-up has reduced to one or two relatively mild episodes per year, which are quickly resolved.

If interested I can post or email pics of applicable pages.

Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self Treatment Guide for Pain Relief.

Dave, I'd be interested in reading those pages. My wife has debilitating migraines a couple of times a month. We've tried almost everything, but to no avail. Thank you for offering the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Our theory is that she had to grip the lightweight polymer frame more, especially side to side, to control recoil. Whatever it is, it has made a major contribution to her quality of life.
    I wonder if more back to front pressure and less side to side pressure would have an effect.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I’ve generally had better luck and experiences shooting metal framed guns than I have polymer framed guns. With Glocks in particular I feel more snap and transfer of recoil energy through my hands. I generally have to grip them harder and as a result my hands typically will feel it more from shooting them. Contrast that with a Beretta 92 or P229 that I don’t have to grip as hard and the amount of felt recoil is generally reduced.

In order of how much vibration and recoil I feel in my hands in from most to least.

Glocks >>> Other Polymer pistols >> Aluminum framed pistols > Steel framed pistols

Glock’s polymer is great from a weight savings standpoint. It’s kinda the least good from a pure shooting aspect.

Elbow pain is a problem. I have to use a Tens unit once or twice a week. Sometimes it hurts so much its hard to hold with that arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Dave, I'd be interested in reading those pages. My wife has debilitating migraines a couple of times a month. We've tried almost everything, but to no avail. Thank you for offering the pics.
    PM me your email address and I’ll get that to you in the next day or two
    David S.

I have less shooters elbow since switching from Sig 320s to CZ Shadow2s three years ago. But since then, I’ve also built grip strength, and improved my recoil management a lot. I am significantly more relaxed when shooting as well.

But I do think you need to lock wrist tendons more with a lighter gun, especially on the support side. When I do a long set of drills with a P-07, my support side forearm is sore.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Personal experience, take it for what it's worth...

Grip angle and operating mechanism have a lot to do with my level of comfort in sustained shooting activities. Much more than polymer versus metal. Neutral grip angles and hammer-fired operating mechanisms give me much more consistent comfort.

I find that I have to raise my elbows laterally when shooting Glocks... not to control recoil, however, but to keep the front sight indexed properly.

A lot of dumb decisions over the past 12 years means this position, while completely doable, aggravates pain in my wrists and elbows. Additionally, because I cannot really relax while shooting, I find that my front sight tracking is less consistent. If I flex too much or too little, I leave the goldilocks zone of pressure and end up with a front sight that needs microcorrections on each shot. I have to be very mindful while shooting Glocks or else I end up in an unnaturally hunched posture.

Shooting hammer-fired guns of comparable weight and with slightly more vertical grip angles allows me to shoot while relaxed, which means my sight tracking and timing are not dependent in active engagement of delts or tris. I can focus on consistent grip strength and eye-trigger coordination without excessive muscle engagement.

With a Commander-length lightweight 1911 (old version with the lightened slide), I get a front sight that returns to my original POA as well as a much slower, softer recoil cycle compared to the Glock (16# recoil spring and 23# mainspring decelerating a lightened slide versus 17# recoil spring and 5.5# striker spring decelerating a heavier slide). Even a steel-framed 10mm (22# recoil spring, 25# mainspring) is less aggravating to shoot long-term than the Glock 19.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

User Tag List