Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elbow pain and gun choice

Elbow pain and gun choice

My wife started competing in USPSA in May 2018, using a Glock 34. She was very familiar with the Glock, having carried one for twenty five years. She shot the G34 through June 2019, and had significant shooter’s elbow pain the entire time she shot the Glock. Her elbow pain was constant, and every week she would have to taper down her shooting in the latter half of the week, so as to be able to shoot matches in the weekend.

In July 2019, she switched to the X5 320, and shortly thereafter to the 320 X5 Legion. For those not familiar, the Legion has a Tungsten frame, and her pistol weighs 44.5 ounces with an empty magazine. Almost immediately after making the switch, her elbows started improving, and for the last month plus she has had no elbow pain.

Our theory is that she had to grip the lightweight polymer frame more, especially side to side, to control recoil. Whatever it is, it has made a major contribution to her quality of life.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have arthritis at age 28 because an auto immune disease. Shooting a steel frame 9mm 1911 is heaven compared to a glock.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 09-23-2019 at 08:52 PM.

You guys might want to contact Chad Reilly.

I haven't struggled with this issue so I don't know, but apparently he's helped a bunch of folks, including Robbie Leatham, IIRC.

Firearms Nation Podcast: Chad Reilly

I've heard interviews with him on Steve Anderson's podcast too
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Psoriatic arthritis runs in my family. I'm also 28 years old and a Glock 19 is downright unpleasant for me to shoot because the way it interfaces with the web of my hand, where my dad describes getting his worst pains. He ultimately wound up carrying a M&P shield because the single stack design meshes well with his hands.

My 1911s regardless of caliber are more pleasant. 9mm is considerably easier. A M&P9 FS works, as does a Beretta 92, hell even a Ruger LCP sometimes feels more fun, but I have become a big believer in the 9mm 1911.

As for elbow tendonitis...yeah anything that doesn't require as hard of a grip will lessen the pain and my other thought is that a Glock slide cycles very quickly compared to a larger 320 slide or a 1911 slide, which doesn't snap back and forth as fast.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    You guys might want to contact Chad Reilly.

I haven't struggled with this issue so I don't know, but apparently he's helped a bunch of folks, including Robbie Leatham, IIRC.

Firearms Nation Podcast: Chad Reilly

I've heard interviews with him on Steve Anderson's podcast too
    I have been aware of Chad and his exercises for years, and my wife and I do his exercises as part of our regular weight program. The switch from a light to a heavy gun is what fixed my wife's elbows. We were concerned the heavier gun might make her pain worse, when she first switched, so this development was unexpected.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Playing devils advocate here, I wonder if the slightly different grip surface and angle may have something to do with it as well. I don’t find the recoil on polymer guns to be as sharp as steel framed guns and I actually prefer it, though to control the recoil I have to apply much more grip pressure. If your wife is having to muscle the Sig much less that may also play a role in her decreased pain.

I get to put a few mags through a Legion this weekend. I’m looking forward to it seeing how it tracks under recoil.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 09-23-2019 at 11:48 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

I've just experienced the opposite. After shooting Glocks with dots primarily for the last year I've just started shooting a 9mm Colt Competition this week. And the shooters elbow I've been dealing with the last couple months just got worse. My theory is its related the the grester weight of the gun during the draw.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Site Supporter
    My elbow pain just exploded through the damn roof. Lifting a coffee cup is excruciating.

I know mine is derived from excessive shoveling and picking stickers...various yard work activities. However years of shooting hasn't helped either.

For me the entire draw stroke, especially the first vertical portion, is terribly painful. Adding weight makes it worse.

I've been fighting persistent left elbow pain since April. I've reached the point where just closing my left hand is painful. Gripping my Glock while shooting hurts like a sonofabitch, but I don't notice it during recoil.

Of course, I've been wanting to get back into the 1911 game for a while, and this sounds like a PERFECT excuse to do so...

I'm glad to hear that she's finding some relief.

**I am not a medical professional and I haven't experienced this particular problem**

I also think it's worth looking into the following book. My wife has found nearly immediate short term relief from migraines using the techniques in this book. After several months of treating symptoms, the frequency of migraine flair-up has reduced to one or two relatively mild episodes per year, which are quickly resolved.

If interested I can post or email pics of applicable pages.

Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self Treatment Guide for Pain Relief.
    David S.

User Tag List