Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elbow pain and gun choice

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Kidding aside, I wonder whether the cause of the pain is lifting a relatively heavy item, or the gripping and response to recoil.

If it is lifting, it seems like a lighter pistol would help, and if it is from gripping and recoil, the heavier gun would help. And, I have no idea whether the Legion frame gives you the benefits of polymer and weight of a steel pistol, or neither.
    George - I can tell you from my experience, gripping is more painful to my elbow than lifting or holding. If I grab a moderately heavy object in my (currently) uninjured hand, and transfer it to the palm of my injured side, I can hold it up with no pain. If I grip tightly with my injured side, even making a fist, I get a pretty good zap in the elbow.

The OT guy I've been seeing says to keep my elbow close to my side, and only lift/hold stuff with my palm up.

I forgot about this thread. Glad it came back up. I had pretty severe tendonitis in my left elbow a couple of years ago. Mine is on the inside of the elbow and in the bicep tendon. I tried stretching and trigger point work but that only gave me mild relief. I was shooting either a 34 or 17 at the time I don't remember which. I switched to a 5" 1911 in 45 around a year ago. The tendonitis went away. I didn't think anything about it. I thought the treatment I had been trying finally kicked in.

Three weeks ago I decided to put the 1911 down and go back to Glocks full time. Late last week I noticed the tendonitis was back. I haven't slept well the last few nights because if I move my arm the wrong way it wakes me up.

I've done very little live fire in the last three weeks. Maybe 750 rounds total. A decent amount of dryfire but not really any more than usual. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not. It has me really looking at 9mm steel guns again though.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I was about to ask if people think the elbow pain is just do to overuse and switching things around provided some relief because it changed the angle/grip enough to not aggravate the injury.... but GreggW experience counters that original idea I had.

I have been dryfiring and practicing with the Glock more recently and have noticed some elbow discomfort. Interesting to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    I was about to ask if people think the elbow pain is just do to overuse and switching things around provided some relief because it changed the angle/grip enough to not aggravate the injury.... but GreggW experience counters that original idea I had.

I have been dryfiring and practicing with the Glock more recently and have noticed some elbow discomfort. Interesting to say the least.
    I shot 150 rounds of 45 through the 1911 and 100 or so rounds through a friends Beretta 92 Saturday. I put a few rounds through a 17 and maybe 50 through my new 43x to check new sights out. I had a little elbow pain Sunday but not like before.

I’m not so sure it’s not a combination of over use and just gripping the Glock to tight. I’ve backed way off on dry fire with the 17 and it seems to have helped. I’ll add that weak hand only, the elbow that hurts, with the 45 was not very fun.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Our hands/arms/shoulders are very complex systems. I will not speculate, over the internet, what may be the exact cause of anything, or try to say that what worked for me will work for anyone else. Having said that, every time my elbows hurt, it had to do with my hands gripping something, or my wrists moving. Every time lifting or holding a heavy weight was an issue, it was my shoulders that hurt, or malfunctioned.

I know that I have to grip a Glock very tightly, to have any hope of decent accuracy. I can feel the frame flex. I need not hold a 1911 nearly as firmly.

The only time lifting a heavy handgun has been the least bit problematic, it was my right shoulder. As the pistol reaches full extension, my arm might drop a bit, like a gear slipping on a few worn teeth.
    Last edited by Rex G; 10-29-2019 at 04:02 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

A few years ago I had the same issue. I stopped shooting for a week or so, used ice packs on my elbow everyday after work. I then resumed shooting using my CZ 75's. I had read that switching to a heavier, hammer fired pistol would help for this issue. This worked for me. After 2 months, I went back to my polymer pistols.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I finally got basically Match trigger parts plus the LEM light TRS into a USP .45 FS. Was worried about the dry fire that followed, but initial impression is my elbow issues seemed to be reduced from what they had been previously. I'm sure it's not because the DA was lighter - it's still pretty darn heavy. But that big old slabby grip might have something. Will continue to monitor.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List