Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the Ruger 77/22

Tell me about the Ruger 77/22

I'm interested in the bolt-action and semi-auto .22 game for Appleseed and general fun.

I already own a S&W 15-22. The Ruger 10/22 seems like an obvious choice. What about the 77/22? It appears to accept the same mags and a local pawn shop has a scoped one listed for under $400 - well under anything I'm seeing the CZ's listed for.
    David S.

The Ruger 77/22 is a decent design that can be made quite accurate if one modifies the two-piece bolt. The new Ruger American Rimfire bolt-action rifles also use the 10/22 rotary magazines. The latter is less expensive (new can be under $300). With the 77/22 rimfire designs out of production (the 77/22 .22 Hornet is still in production), the prices on the rimfire 77/22 models are rising. $400 for one in decent shape with a decent scope is a good deal.

In the Ruger line I’d probably opt for the American.

I really like the CZ 457 American. It has the advantage of a 60* bolt throw which allows more flexibility in scope selection and mounting.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-american/
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

CZ all the way for a bolt gun.

Thompson Center TCR, spec-wise looks like the option to beat in the semi-auto category.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I’ve had the stainless steel bull barrel version for over 20 years. I like the gun quite a bit and it is a pleasure to shoot. It’s been a great rifle but honestly it hasn’t given me the accuracy that I was expecting. Not saying it has poor accuracy but I was expecting it to shoot like the Kimber 82s I shot in ROTC, instead it gives me accuracy typical of most .22lrs on the market. Maybe I just haven’t found the right load. Magazine commonality with the 10/22 is nice but what really sold it for me is the fact that it was one of the very few .22s that had the feeling of a centerfire bolt action rifle.

It certainly will serve you well for your intended application, just keep your expectations realistic when it comes to accuracy.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 09-23-2019 at 03:34 PM.

I’ve had one for 10 years. Once you find the loads that it likes, it’s a decent shooter.

Mine has caused many pests up to raccoon size to enjoy a nice long dirt nap.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

CPC offers a service to clean up the slop inherent in the two-piece bolt. http://www.ct-precision.com/ruger77.html

What’s the opinion on the CZ LUX stocks? Another local shop appears to have a NIB 455 LUX for under $400.
    David S.

A good one for under $400 is as rare as chicken teeth in my neck of the woods.

I have a first year production rifle (.22 LR) that shoots pretty well. I rarely shoot Match ammo because it shoots the regular stuff so well. It's currently zeroed for CCI Velocitors which will shoot to half an inch at 50 yards.

I also have one chambered in .22 Magnum. It's a bit more finicky about the ammo I feed it, but I found that it shoots CCI GamePoints to just over half an inch at 50 yards.

Both rifles could do better with stronger glass (they both wear Leupold 3 x 9's) but for stock rifles (Volquartsen target sears being the only modification) I'm pleased with how they perform.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 09-23-2019 at 04:40 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Lost River has said some good things about the Tikka T1x.

rimfirecentral.com is the place for rimfire info.

If you just want a bolt action on a budget, I wouldn't overlook an older Marlin. Demand is low, but the people who have them seem to like them quite a bit.

I haven't been impressed with Savage quality. Worth spending more to get more, IMO.

CZ 452 is more $ than 10/22, but I reckon worth checking out for semi-auto. I picked up one of the carbines awhile back with black stocks, 16.5", threads and iron sights.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List