Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson m12

Smith & Wesson m12

For quite a while now I have been thinking about a model 12. Well I found a good clean hardly used m12 in excellent condition. When I got it I put a Tyler t grip on it and the m12 was retro cool. I went a shot the m12 and after 12 rounds with the wood grips pounding my hand I went and put some rubber grips on it. Now it’s not painful to shoot and my back and hip are not in pain carrying it. So far, for me, the m12 is the best balance of size, weight and power in a concealed carry revolver.

Name:  CA9199DE-98B2-4760-9055-896564E991E3.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  105.2 KB

Cool gun; early flat latch. Normally, I am one of those guys who completely shrugs off the "great .38 +P debate" as much ado about nothing. The exception is the model 12–I’d minimize the training with +P, because if the frame cracks, that’s it for the gun. That said, there is some early internet gun hand out there who documented something like 10k rounds of +P through a model 12 with no issues, so a few cylinders now and gain is most likely no issue. Just saying that there are instances of 12s being sidelined over frame cracking.

Selling my 2" RB M12 is probably my single biggest gun sale regret. I’m not even sure what 2nd place regret would be by comparison.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Cool gun; early flat latch. Normally, I am one of those guys who completely shrugs off the "great .38 +P debate" as much ado about nothing. The exception is the model 12–I’d minimize the training with +P, because if the frame cracks, that’s it for the gun. That said, there is some early internet gun hand out there who documented something like 10k rounds of +P through a model 12 with no issues, so a few cylinders now and gain is most likely no issue. Just saying that there are instances of 12s being sidelined over frame cracking.

Selling my 2" RB M12 is probably my single biggest gun sale regret. I’m not even sure what 2nd place regret would be by comparison.
    I shot two seasons of IDPA with a 12-2 running a 158 grain +P load that I used to run through a CS1. That was roughly 3000 rounds in matches. When I sold the pistol back to the guy I bought it from it was still in good mechanical condition.

That’s a sampling of one.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Brave -- lotta Model 12 cracked frame stories out there. That'd be a strictly match 148gr wadcutter gun for me -- maybe Critical Defense standard pressure -- far as defense use goes.

Checkout PGS Hideout grips: fills the hand and manages recoil better than magnas, but more compact and less clothes grabby than those Hogues. I stipple mine and prefer them to anything on a carry K-frame.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Spegel's are a great choice for a M12:

Name:  IMG_3381.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  64.5 KB
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    Brave -- lotta Model 12 cracked frame stories out there. That'd be a strictly match 148gr wadcutter gun for me -- maybe Critical Defense standard pressure -- far as defense use goes.

Checkout PGS Hideout grips: fills the hand and manages recoil better than magnas, but more compact and less clothes grabby than those Hogues. I stipple mine and prefer them to anything on a carry K-frame.
    That's true. There are a LOT of stories out there.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    I carry wadcutters in my 642 so I have no problem carrying them in my model 12. I wish they made them again. A 612 would be great.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    That's true. There are a LOT of stories out there.
    maybe more than the total production of model 12s...

Remember that grip frames are narrower in these than a standard K frame on most of the Model 12’s, so don’t be surprised of grip fit is poor if not using Model 12 specific grips.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Remember that grip frames are narrower in these than a standard K frame on most of the Model 12’s, so don’t be surprised of grip fit is poor if not using Model 12 specific grips.
    Yea, the original grips had the frame serial number stamped on them and fit perfectly.

The hogue bantam grips, since they clamp upon the frame, almost close to gap at the top of the frame, not completely, but enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List