Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Guncrafter 9mm 1911s?

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I also forgot to mention something about the second pic. Stuff just doesn't match. Wide serrations on the side of the slide, and fine serrations on the top? And pair it with Frag on the frontstrap? I'm almost expecting scallops on the MSH

Lots of custom pistols (especially the Agency types) seem to fall victim to the Elton John syndrome. You know, when you wear ALL your favorite clothes, at the SAME time...
    What this guy said.

Now this. This is simply stunning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    What this guy said.

Now this. This is simply stunning
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0243e0bcf5.jpg
    You guys would do well with a Les Baer
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    You guys would do well with a Les Baer
    Except from the accuracy and tight fit, Lots of Les' spec is less than stellar. Mine never sees the light of day
    Last edited by theJanitor; 09-25-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Except from the accuracy and tight fit, Lots of Les' spec is less than stellar. Mine never sees the light of day
    Details please

I'm sure we have a thread regarding the Baers

The barrel fit is wrong, especially for one with his knowledge. his commanche length guns are of the wrong internal dimension. his new frontstrap is too thick, much like production Springers. he specs flat bottom grips on guns without magwells. his triggers are mediocre, and butter lasts longer than his bluing. Otherwise, I love 5" 45acp Baers

I'm sure we have a thread regarding the Baers

The barrel fit is wrong, especially for one with his knowledge. his commanche length guns are of the wrong internal dimension. his new frontstrap is too thick, much like production Springers. he specs flat bottom grips on guns without magwells. his triggers are mediocre, and butter lasts longer than his bluing. Otherwise, I love 5" 45acp Baers
    I will agree that the barrel abutment on the Comanche is probably wrong but I have never seen a Baer that didn't run well.

I will agree that the barrel abutment on the Comanche is probably wrong but I have never seen a Baer that didn't run well.
    My brother and I have consecutive serial number Comanches. We bought them new in 2007. They are obviously gov't frames with a shortened dustcover. They never ran right, with all kinds of ammo and mags, and well past the 500rd "break-in". Les said that it was right, and that we didn't know how to shoot a 1911. I went to gunsmith customs right after that, as a result

Although I've never owned a GC, I know people I trust that have, and they have serious clout with recommendations from guys like Ned. So I'd be confident in a guncrafter
    Last edited by theJanitor; 09-25-2019 at 03:47 PM.

I have had a pile of Comanche and Stingers that did not run until John Harrison machined the frame to meet the Colt Commander standard. The Baer Comanche frame does not provide enough slide travel for reliability.

I also agree with @theJanitor about the aesthetics of the GC guns. I also feel the same about pistols from Ned Christiansen and Chuck Rogers. Both makers are technically excellent, whose guns run, but the final product is too different from that classic Colt look that, to me, is 1911. I appreciate what they are, but neither maker's products are for me. I much prefer the old-school SACS guns and am fortunate enough to have a older Custom Carry and a Harrison-modified SACS Pro.

I’ve never owned a Baer that ran, period.

Here’s at thread from another forum that has a few good posts from knowledgeable people about Bakers (most of the thread is a mess, though.

From Rob at Alchemy (who used to work for Baer):

There's a lot "wrong" with many of the stock Baer barrel fits. Will they work for quite a while? Yes. Are they done right most of the time? No. Does it matter to his fan base? Again...no.

Most likely what led to the ultimate failure was a stress riser caused by using a flat file to fit the lower lugs to the slide stop pin. The flat file puts a line into the radius and...the radius is only contacting the slide stop where it sits on the lugs and at the tips. A lot of stress is put on the tips and the line filed gets the crack started. Using properly sized lug cutters and fitting techniques along with the right link size goes a long way toward preventing this situation. One also needs to verify proper location of the VIS. Hood length was also probably a bit long. Just some of my thoughts.
    https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/baer-down.36128/

Sorry you guys had issues.

I can still stand by what I said about them running. I have a Concept VIII that went through an AFHF class without a hiccup, have several friends with Thunder Ranch, Premier II, and other 5 inch guns, and the Thunder Ranch was the favorite for guys on several handgun sites for a while. Another guy's Stinger ran well but he sent it to Harrison to have the abutment moved back so it would slingshot.

It's been a while since I carried or paid much attention to 1911s so I guess times have changed.

User Tag List