Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The VTAC is a Really Great Target

@JAD:
    Do you have a reference for the targets you mention-or images?

I agree on the VTAC and TLGs mentioned-they are quite useful and have variety of drills related to them. It’s almost a cliche, but the more variations of targets I can get the better. Steel i have found to be valuable in instruction/training, and can be utilized for testing(a la Rogers)-cost of course a concern. But even a 6-8 inch plate or two can “test” folks with a little forethought...or set a popper heavy, etc.

And of course, the good old B8...

The McKaig popper is a 6’ long, 1” diameter steel pipe attached to a heavy hinged base. It has a small disc welded at the top and a medium disc welded some 14” below. It has a cross member or members that can be used to mount a uspsa target so that it covers the discs and corresponds to the A zones. Ideally this stands off from the pole some, or one hangs a box to which one staples the target. It can be easily dressed with a t shirt and a ball cap. It is useful in surprise stages.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    The McKaig popper is a 6’ long, 1” diameter steel pipe attached to a heavy hinged base. It has a small disc welded at the top and a medium disc welded some 14” below. It has a cross member or members that can be used to mount a uspsa target so that it covers the discs and corresponds to the A zones. Ideally this stands off from the pole some, or one hangs a box to which one staples the target. It can be easily dressed with a t shirt and a ball cap. It is useful in surprise stages.
    Thanks-good description. I believe I recall something similar in the Tactical Conference matches.
    Any reference for the “wiggler”?

Jim Crews first showed me a pair of target frames mounted on springs and a swivel. The front frame was independent of the rear and created a variable no shoot. He usually used a pair of Tactical Teds. Ropes were attached to the left and right arms of the stands and Jim would stand behind you and jerk the ropes while role playing the bad guy.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Personally I prefer
    I’ll admit I don’t see the point of this target (and not “I see the point and I don’t like it”)

Obviously there is camo and it’s harder to see the scoring lines and the pistol and there’s no obvious aiming point, but I’m scratching my head trying to figure out why no obvious aiming point is a good thing.

(I’ve shot the IDPA matches with the t shirts over the target, and that tends to be harder to get accurate fast hits.that I get and would be on board with. This I don’t get.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    I’ll admit I don’t see the point of this target (and not “I see the point and I don’t like it”)

Obviously there is camo and it’s harder to see the scoring lines and the pistol and there’s no obvious aiming point, but I’m scratching my head trying to figure out why no obvious aiming point is a good thing.

(I’ve shot the IDPA matches with the t shirts over the target, and that tends to be harder to get accurate fast hits.that I get and would be on board with. This I don’t get.)

Same concept as the t-shirt on an IDPA target would be my thought. Not everything you will need to shoot will have a distinct aiming point. Therefore get used to determining the vital/scoring zones within a shape. Camo pattern added to mess with your head.

I've spoken to Chuck Talyor who for a time was Cooper's #1 man at Gunsite. Chuck designed and uses a target similar to the Gunsite target.

Chuck will tell you that many shooters will trend to the left in the thoracic cavity box due to the peak of the green blob. The idea being to ignore the pattern and shoot COM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Same concept as the t-shirt on an IDPA target would be my thought. Not everything you will need to shoot will have a distinct aiming point. Therefore get used to determining the vital/scoring zones within a shape. Camo pattern added to mess with your head.

I've spoken to Chuck Talyor who for a time was Cooper's #1 man at Gunsite. Chuck designed and uses a target similar to the Gunsite target.

Chuck will tell you that many shooters will trend to the left in the thoracic cavity box due to the peak of the green blob. The idea being to ignore the pattern and shoot COM.
    If that is the idea, the pattern on the targets should be random, as opposed to getting used to shooting “X to the right” of the blob.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've used the VTAC target quite a bit - my one complaint is that it is rather large and difficult to attach to the rather narrow cardboard backers at the indoor ranges I am compelled to frequent. I've come to really appreciate the Warren Tactical Target Facers, which are essentially reduced size IDPA/IPSC targets (A+C zones). They come in several varieties, from basic IDPA/IPSC scoring zones, to more 'tactical' style targets.

Name:  wts-2_N.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  93.6 KB
    Name:  WTS-4RT_N.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  65.9 KB

This version seems to use a version of the FBI Bullseye target. It reminds me of the (now out-of-print) Vickers Shooting Method facer, which was very similar but with a B8 bullseye in the center position.

Name:  WTS-6RT_L.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  48.3 KB

I wish the Vickers/VSM facer was still available - I thought it was a pretty useful target, though easy enough to pull together by adding a B8 bull to any silhouette.

Name:  fullsizeoutput_7779.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  102.6 KB
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 09-23-2019 at 07:27 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

@JSGlock34, check out the IPSC QIT Bulls Eye Target - it might fit the bill. I believe Hilton Yam designed it.

Name:  QIT-BULL-3T.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  52.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post

I wish the Vickers/VSM facer was still available - I thought it was a pretty useful target, though easy enough to pull together by adding a B8 bull to any silhouette.

Thanks, I didn't know about the IPSC-QIT. It does look similar to one of the Warren Tactical facers (no surprise since Hilton Yam and Scott Warren share a common background).
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List