Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The VTAC is a Really Great Target

My favorite part of the VTAC target is the overlay of the USPSA target on top of the skeleton. It really shows you how ineffective D zone hits are and how poor C zone hits and some A zone hits are.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Actually, I am not sure the Gunsite target is even a good test target. People that shoot them a while come to know that the white cross is a good aiming point, so you might as well stick a B8 in the upper body and whatever you want for the upper CNS.

Instructions for the Cooper Cup, which uses this target, specifically say that any shot touching a scoring line does not count — that all shots have to be fully within the scoring area. My standard question, which has never been satisfactorily answered, is why do they discriminate against .45 acp and wide meplat bullet profiles.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This is a good Test target but not a good training target. For training purposes you need to have the smaller areas you need to hit well defined.
    Concur. I use B8s and 2” dots for training.
    Ignore Alien Orders

What we shoot at for targets is an interesting conversation indeed. To flip this conversation, I have to talk about archery. Once upon a time, a long time ago, I was a sponsored archery competitor. I shot local competitions and shot leagues where we used what was called a Neceehah target. It was a named after a local town where we had a state level shoot. They were little more than a deer silhouette in cardboard.

I had shot this target for years. Behind the front leg, up in the middle of the target from top to bottom was the big middle, lung shot on a deer.

While on a stand a deer comes out, there was no thought of grip on bow, or anchor location against my face or which pin to use or how to do the physical release of the arrow. The brain said, "shoot that deer" and the rest was what is called a mindless state. The action was executed. The bow came up, the shot was off and the deer was harvested. All of the minutia of the task didn't matter. The command to execute was just a pre programed response.

By shooting the Vtac style target, I hope to summon the same mindless act, if the personal threshold is ever activate to shoot, everything after the decision to shoot becomes a response to stimulus. A mindless act, void of details of the act. If I have to shoot, the grip, stance, sight alignment, trigger control all just take place.

I think that this is the greatest benefit to shooting the Vtac type target.

Banned
    This is a good Test target but not a good training target. For training purposes you need to have the smaller areas you need to hit well defined.
    What makes this a good test Target? Is it because it's hard to concentrate on it or cuz it's hard to see the gun in the lower right-hand corner?

The VTAC Target's I can only get at one place in Colorado Springs and he wants like four bucks a piece for them.

This. I understand the why's, but it's fucking obnoxious. More so with the masking tape as pasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    What makes this a good test Target? Is it because it's hard to concentrate on it or cuz it's hard to see the gun in the lower right-hand corner?

The VTAC Target's I can only get at one place in Colorado Springs and he wants like four bucks a piece for them.
    I thought they could be bought online? I had some at one point and didn't pay that much.
    Last edited by orionz06; 09-23-2019 at 06:42 AM.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Thank you

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Thinking out loud, but I'd like to see a target like that with the anatomy target on the backside of various clothed targets. I can already see someone bringing up the 3D objection, and I get it, but think for training for landmarks for aiming points it might be a helpful tool.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

The VTAC is a Really Great Target

The best test target I’ve found is a clothed McKaig popper with 8” and 4” discs. Those, and the Jim Crews wiggler.

If I wanted a static paper target for testing purposes the B8 is great.
    Last edited by JAD; 09-23-2019 at 09:17 AM.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List