Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Back injury making me move away from string side IWB, where do I go?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I am also slightly skeptical of a lot of physical therapists, chiropractors, and orthopedists. Not trying to slam 'em - if you like yours, that's awesome. If you're not satisfied with your caregivers, check out Stuart McGill's work. The Back Mechanic is a decent place to start. Good luck.
    Thanks for this reference Mark.

I found some videos of him demoing his "Big 3". I'm already doing something similar to the Bird Dog, but I think I like the BD better. Will discuss with PT tomorrow. I've been doing what I consider his "Curl Ups On Steroids" for a while now... I'll probably keep doing mine, but will add some of his just to see. His version may be better for back alignment (on the floor vs on an exercise ball) but my PT version is way more core intensive. I got the "no more sit-ups for you EVER" talk from PT early on. I've got better abs now than I've had in 20 years, with zero sit ups. I really like his side planks! What I've been doing for that has seen mixed results... Will talk with PT about switching.

If I find these working well I'll probably order the book with videos. Something about reading books doesn't convey the details for me as well as video.

Another few tools in the tool bag.

ETA: This was a good demo video. Not McGill, but his student/client.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 09-24-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Thanks for this reference Mark.

I found some videos of him demoing his "Big 3". I'm already doing something similar to the Bird Dog, but I think I like the BD better. Will discuss with PT tomorrow. I've been doing what I consider his "Curl Ups On Steroids" for a while now... I'll probably keep doing mine, but will add some of his just to see. His version may be better for back alignment (on the floor vs on an exercise ball) but my PT version is way more core intensive. I got the "no more sit-ups for you EVER" talk from PT early on. I've got better abs now than I've had in 20 years, with zero sit ups. I really like his side planks! What I've been doing for that has seen mixed results... Will talk with PT about switching.

If I find these working well I'll probably order the book with videos. Something about reading books doesn't convey the details for me as well as video.

Another few tools in the tool bag.

ETA: This was a good demo video. Not McGill, but his student/client.
    Roy - it sounds like your PT is a good one, and you're obviously motivated. I agree that getting the video along with the book is a good idea. I bought Back Mechanic without the video and then spent too long on YouTube trying to figure out the best technique. It's not that the book is deficient, but I'm a visual learner, and I find video helps to grasp the finer points.

On the subject of videos, you may have seen this already, it's Layne Norton's actual assessment with Stu McGill and Brian Carroll. BD instruction starts at 7 min. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syKKv3sQ4O8

Regarding curls ups, I'm substituting with "Stir the Pot". It has McGill's stamp of approval too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNUnSrkI0KQ

Keep us posted, and good luck.

Site Supporter
    Roy - it sounds like your PT is a good one, and you're obviously motivated. I agree that getting the video along with the book is a good idea. I bought Back Mechanic without the video and then spent too long on YouTube trying to figure out the best technique. It's not that the book is deficient, but I'm a visual learner, and I find video helps to grasp the finer points.

On the subject of videos, you may have seen this already, it's Layne Norton's actual assessment with Stu McGill and Brian Carroll. BD instruction starts at 7 min. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syKKv3sQ4O8

Regarding curls ups, I'm substituting with "Stir the Pot". It has McGill's stamp of approval too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNUnSrkI0KQ

Keep us posted, and good luck.
    +1 on the videos. Doing exercises wrong can be a waste of time, or, it can hurt you more than the $30 it cost for the videos. Setbacks suck.

I watched most of Laynes 3-part video. While his situation (power lifting) isn't mine, I found the discussions with McGill about body mechanics, mechanisms of causation and philosophy on rehab enlightening. The latter has caused me to change my approach from longer workouts once a day, to shorter more frequent sessions, especially as symptoms begin to emerge. Too early to see results, but, the fresh mindset is motivating.

I've been doing stationary planks on an exercise ball for some time.... Stir the pot looks a lot less boring. I'm thoroughly tired of counting time in my head (I now use a wall clock with a second hand that I lay on the floor to watch time). Counting revolutions is less tedious.

Still considering yoga, but lacking the motivation to deal with the stay-at-home mom crowd at the local studio.

Apologies to the OP for the tangent... Hopefully some of this has been useful. Rehabbing a bad back is a process. Sometimes a life-changing one.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Suspenders, pocket carry, or switching to your other hand?

I often pocket carry an air weight 12.5 ounce 9mm J-frame conversion.

Back issues here too. Damaged lumbar discs. My G19 or P2000 carried AIWB can occassionally trigger a flare up if I do it all day.

All of us have different physiology and injury histories, but I've found the following to help:

• AIWB my 642 sometimes - it's only 16 oz loaded and it's less likely to cause me problems than the G19 or P2000.
    • Pocket carry the 642 a lot of the time. No problems whatsoever.
    • When carrying on the belt, I find a wide but flexible belt is more comfortable than a traditional 1.5" stiff leather gun belt. This runs contrary to established wisdom.

Shoulder holsters and suspenders seem like worthwhile options too, but I have no direct experience.

I am also slightly skeptical of a lot of physical therapists, chiropractors, and orthopedists. Not trying to slam 'em - if you like yours, that's awesome. If you're not satisfied with your caregivers, check out Stuart McGill's work. The Back Mechanic is a decent place to start. Good luck.
    What AIWB holster do you use for the J-Frame. Do you find it more or less comfortable that a longer pistol in that position?

I've got a pair of suspenders on the way to try. I have been very happy with my PT so far. My back has had drastic improvement it just seems that carrying a G17 SS IWB takes me the wrong direction. I have started swimming and light weight lifting with no issue but the gun hurts. I weighed it loaded in the holster over the weekend and it is 2lb 7oz and I'm thinking it's just in a bad place.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    I was out for a bulged disc at L4/L5 in '16 for six weeks along with sciatica. The only thing I could manage during that time was a 442 with a speed strip in a jeans pocket. Still occasionally get sciatica flare ups and the 442 goes to primary carry instead of back up to a belt carried Glock or K Smith. A good heavy leather belt helps in my experience to distribute the weight and can be worn looser than the typical flimsy dress belt.
    My thighs are too big for pocket carry but I'm thinking keeping a jframe even to go on a belt would help when I'm having a bad day or when I'm at the office. I'm thinking of going j-frame on the belt when I'm at work (small business with 15 employees) and the G17 in a bag. Them if I'm going somewhere more public I can strap on the 17 instead of wearing it all day.

+1 on the videos. Doing exercises wrong can be a waste of time, or, it can hurt you more than the $30 it cost for the videos. Setbacks suck.

I watched most of Laynes 3-part video. While his situation (power lifting) isn't mine, I found the discussions with McGill about body mechanics, mechanisms of causation and philosophy on rehab enlightening. The latter has caused me to change my approach from longer workouts once a day, to shorter more frequent sessions, especially as symptoms begin to emerge. Too early to see results, but, the fresh mindset is motivating.

I've been doing stationary planks on an exercise ball for some time.... Stir the pot looks a lot less boring. I'm thoroughly tired of counting time in my head (I now use a wall clock with a second hand that I lay on the floor to watch time). Counting revolutions is less tedious.

Still considering yoga, but lacking the motivation to deal with the stay-at-home mom crowd at the local studio.

Apologies to the OP for the tangent... Hopefully some of this has been useful. Rehabbing a bad back is a process. Sometimes a life-changing one.
    No apologies needed. I haven't been on in a day or two. I'm looking through the videos as well. Getting the back healed and keeping it in good shape is very important. I slacked off on some exercises and noticed a decline within a couple of days. Back to a routine and I am in much better shape. Tightness in the sciatic nerve but no real pain.

I appreciate all the input from both of you on PT and repairing your back.

RE: J-Frame AIWB

Not @Mark D, but I can give my experiences with J-Frame AIWB.

I use a PHLster City Special for my 442, the belt I use is a Spec.-Ops. Better BDU Belt. I can wear this rig 24 hours straight (seriously) while falling asleep on the couch, it really works for me. Now, for semi-autos the single point belt loop does not work at due to holster roll, but for the J it allows the grip to cant to the right (from the wearers perspective) and actually allows me to have a smoother and quicker draw than anything else I currently own. Thanks to the grip profile of the 442 this cant, for me, does not result in printing issues (my chest and waist are not on the same plane) and I can wear a relatively form-fitting T-shirt as a cover garment. I do not notice the weight of the 442, but I also do not have the same back issues you do so keep that in mind. From a long-term wearing perspective this is the most comfortable AIWB solution I currently employ and I seriously love the quick don/doff of the City Special. Another positive aspect of the City Special is that it is ambidextrous - all you need to do is flip the mounting hardware.

If I could shoot my 442 as well as a G17 AND knew I'd never need more than 5 rounds I would carry nothing else...if concealed carry were more like a Choose Your Own Adventure book.

I had been debating whether or not to bring the subject up in this thread, but since folks are discussing the rehab/exercise options for backs, I figure why not. For the OP and anyone else with back problems, I highly recommend that you at least try yoga for a while IF your doctor/PT says it's ok in regards to your specific condition.

I am fortunate enough that I haven't had the level of back issues that many of you in here have. But, I had been experiencing more and more stiffness and general aching in my back and joints. As a nurse for 15 years and counting I knew that was only going to get worse with time. So at the strong suggestion of a coworker who is also a yoga instructor, I tried it. I have found that when I'm pretty consistent with my practice I have way less aches and stiffness. My back and joints feel looser and just more comfortable. I'm actually wishing I had been doing it my whole life as i quite enjoy it. The studio I go to specializes in bikram (hot) yoga so that's mostly what I do, but I do occasionally partake in the non-heated yoga as well. They're both great, but I find that the hot yoga results in better stretching, plus adds more of a cardiovascular aspect to it. As a nice bonus, the increased balance and flexibility can be useful when it comes to BJJ. At least in theory! I'm a BJJ n00b so I still end up with my face being squeezed off in someone's armpit or mashed on the floor lol.

My studio also does a hot pilates class which I love a lot. I don't have other pilates classes to compare it to, but it's low impact, just hand weights and occasional resistance bands. Great for building core and back strength, and again the heat adds cardio benefits. Also theoretically helpful for BJJ as your core has a lot to do with it.

Sorry if this all seems a bit out of lane, but based on my experience and other practitioners I know, it's at the very least worth exploring if you can.

In regards to the "stay at home mom" crowd at the studio... I really wouldn't let that stop you. When you're doing yoga practice it's YOUR practice. You're just there for your benefit and whatever goals you're after. Nobody says you have to socialize there. In fact at my studio I would say the majority of folks barely say anything to anyone, they just roll out their mats and go at it. That being said, my studio has a surprisingly eclectic mix. I thought it would all be bored housewives and hippies. There certainly are those, but there are also college students, professionals, retired folks, even some young military dudes in great shape (nearby air force base).
    Also, there are plenty of yoga DVDs out there if you really don't want to deal with the class setting. I prefer the class setting so I can get some instruction and correction on my form. I hope this has been somewhat helpful for anyone reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy45 View Post
    What AIWB holster do you use for the J-Frame. Do you find it more or less comfortable that a longer pistol in that position?

I've got a pair of suspenders on the way to try. I have been very happy with my PT so far. My back has had drastic improvement it just seems that carrying a G17 SS IWB takes me the wrong direction. I have started swimming and light weight lifting with no issue but the gun hurts. I weighed it loaded in the holster over the weekend and it is 2lb 7oz and I'm thinking it's just in a bad place.
    I have two J frame holsters. The first is a Harry's Holsters Icon, and it's fine for the 642. It's comfy and easy to don and doff. It doesn't conceal well for me, though.

The other holster is a custom JMCK that Tony recently made for me. It's essentially a Wing Claw. As expected, it exudes craftsmanship. For many people it would be overkill for a J frame. But I like it, and the 642 simply vanishes in it, even under a fitted T shirt.

Honestly I prefer carrying a bigger pistol (P2000 usually), but the lighter weight of the 642 is much easier on my back if I'm carrying for a long period of time.

User Tag List