Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back injury making me move away from string side IWB, where do I go?

Back injury making me move away from string side IWB, where do I go?

Hello everyone,

I've had back problems off and on for years and it finally got bad earlier in the year. I have multiple bulging discs in my lower back and have been doing physical therapy to get them back in place the best I can. That has helped tremendously but I've carried very little during that time while I am healing. The doc and the therapist don't ever see me getting back to 100% and I want to get back to carrying regularly. I've carried a 19 and for the past 3 years a 17 strong side IWB but when I get to the end of the day now I'm in pain and my back is very stiff. I'm not sure where to go from here, I think it has more to do with tightening a belt and having the gun push on me than weight but I don't think I can get away with carrying a 17 owb. Has anyone else delt with this, what was your solution? I'm honestly considering carrying a air weight j frame on both sides owb because it think I can hide them and the weight will be evenly distributed. Playing with the only revolver I have (Dan Wesson 6" 357) I also think I may can hide a k frame AIWB. I for the life of me can't get a Glock grip not to print AIWB but I've only tried a couple holsters. I've always liked strong side, it conceals well and I don't have to move to a da/sa platform to be comfortable.

Now that I'm having to make a change anyway, I'm looking for input on how to most comfortably, easily and safely transition away from string side IWB.

Build: 6'1, 250LB
    Attire: jeans and an untucked polo/button down. Own a business but visit customers so I don't like to print but won't get fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy45 View Post
    I think it has more to do with tightening a belt and having the gun push on me
    Would a different belt allow you to wear it looser?

Site Supporter
    43X AIWB in a JMCK or a Phlstr flex type set up? I have a co-worker with some of the same back issues. He carries a 45 OWB and may try this combo.

Try OWB or AIWB with a 43x or P365.
    That worked for me.

Suspenders?

These might help. I haven't tried them but it makes sense to me that, w/ suspenders taking a % of the weight, your belt won't need to be as tight.
    https://gunbelts.com/blog/suspenders-vs-belt/

If you're willing to change your daily outfit to accommodate the rig, you might want to try a quality shoulder holster; I also had some hip flexor nerve issues relatively recently, and the shoulder holster route worked decently well for me during my recovery period.

Best, Jon

A light gun aiwb sounds worth exploring. G43, lightweight commander, or maybe G48 (which I worry might not be better enough) in an SME or JMCK.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I’ve had lower back problems since I was in the military. MRI showed herniations on my lumbar discs. I switched from IWB to OWB and it helped a great deal. As has been discussed, try the following:

Lighter gun
    OWB holster
    Smaller gun
    Shoulder rig (needs to be balanced to avoid further aggravation of your back)
    Standing desk
    Last resort - crossdraw (harder to conceal and protect)
    Suspenders - I use this on my duty belt but not for concealed carry.

And the one I find most helpful- a quality belt designed to carry a gun. Every coworker I’ve had complain about their back has tried this and thanked me profusely. It still amazes me how many folks carry a gun on a belt they got at the mall.

And the most important thing for your back and overall quality of life is to try and get healthy. Whatever it takes because if you don’t the back issues only get worse as you age. I’ve been able to go back to IWB the last year or so. I only use OWB (or shoulder rig) on long road trips.

Good luck!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy45 View Post
    I also think I may can hide a k frame AIWB.
    I'm not quite your size but can conceal a GP100 MC in jeans and a t-shirt. An LCR AIWB is even more betterer as far as ease of concealment and comfort. One of the advantages of appendix carry is even if you are dealing with a limited range of motion you can get to it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I have fought the same issue off and on for years. In fact I just jacked up my back a couple days ago and am trying to recuperate. Definitely don't want another back surgery before elk season...

I run OWB rigs primarily, and the suspenders suggestion is an excellent one.

Dickies makes a pair that work very well. They have hooks to work in conjunction with a gunbelt.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

User Tag List