Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heavy Bag for Achy Joints?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Some great responses here.

It seems that a bag with softer construction (Thai, water, foam), combined with high quality gloves, may be a solution. Or the BOB, as a lower risk option.

I'll check Craigs List for all of the above.

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

ETA: I enjoy the double end bag, and the speed bag. And I appreciate the accuracy, timing and coordination they develop. But neither one is as satisfying as throwing hard shots on a big bag.
    Heavier gloves are your friend. Around 10 years ago I started having issues with my elbows and shoulders. Adam Singer of SBG Athens recommended I go to the heaviest gloves I could find. He won't allow any of his athletes to hit the bag with anything less than 18-20 ounce gloves due to injury prevention. I switched, and never experienced another issue.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

My elbows etc... do better if I keep them pointed mostly down when I hit the heavy bag. My knuckles never get full horizontal. Sort of like old bare knuckle fighters.

My shoulders do better if they are not raised and separated from good body connection.

When my elbows wing out they hurt after a while. Fist orientation varies with range and target but never gets fully palm down horizontal as I feel the twisting of the ulnar and radius.

YMMV.
    Last edited by 1slow; 09-24-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Buy an empty heavy bag and fill with shop rags you can buy in bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    Heavier gloves are your friend. Around 10 years ago I started having issues with my elbows and shoulders. Adam Singer of SBG Athens recommended I go to the heaviest gloves I could find. He won't allow any of his athletes to hit the bag with anything less than 18-20 ounce gloves due to injury prevention. I switched, and never experienced another issue.
    Thanks Paul. That makes good sense, and I have to wonder if the arthritis in my hands is related to a lot of striking with little to no protection when I was younger. I'll track down some 20 oz gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    My elbows etc... do better if I keep them pointed mostly down when I hit the heavy bag. My knuckles never get full horizontal. Sort of like old bare knuckle fighters.

My shoulders do better if they are not raised and separated from good body connection.

When my elbows wing out they hurt after a while. Fist orientation varies with range and target but never gets fully palm down horizontal as I feel the twisting of the ulnar and radius.

YMMV.
    I agree. In my case, throwing hooks are my kryptonite, especially to the "head". Winging my elbow high is a sure way to cause shoulder pain.

User Tag List