Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Bag for Achy Joints?

Heavy Bag for Achy Joints?

I used to do a fair bit of heavy bag work. Boxed in my teens and later studied a couple different striking MAs. I've always enjoyed the bag work, but now I find it painful due to arthritis in my hands, and sketchy shoulders.

I'm considering trying a water-filled bag. I understand they're more yielding than traditional bags. Maybe, with wraps and 16oz gloves, my joints will be able to handle it.

Alternatively I may try a BOB (Body Opponent Bag). However, I get the impression they're good for refining accuracy, but sub-optimal for power development.

Does anyone have experience/advice regarding bag work and aging joints? Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Sorry, the only advice I have is Advil and rest. Myself, I was never super serious about it, but enjoyed it until the joints would be inflamed and sore after. Then I quit.

Water bags are the way to go and will feel very close to a human body shot. Unfortunately the best water bag (Powair) is no longer made but Title has a couple decent options. There are water bags with a foam wrap but I've never hit one that I liked. Gloves / wraps will help, look at the 16oz gloves made for master division boxing as they will have the best hand protection and have the durability for repeated bag use.

Another option is a double end bag or a double-double end bag. These will still let you punch / strike with feedback but minimize the impact on your joints.

I had similar issues developing with the bag a few years back. For me a combination of the largest gloves and proper hand wrapping helps. I use a Thai bag that I stuffed with old clothes like most of the the Thai camps do(good Thai bags come empty) so it’s solid but gives way more than a traditional boxing bag.

Also, I don’t focus on power development anymore, but mechanics. For me, proper mechanics and speed produce plenty of power. I much prefer working with a competent pad holder, but the bag has plenty of benefits for specific mechanics. I also limit the duration of my sessions and try to limit the number of reps of any single strike in each session. For me, this solved my issues. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I used to do a fair bit of heavy bag work. Boxed in my teens and later studied a couple different striking MAs. I've always enjoyed the bag work, but now I find it painful due to arthritis in my hands, and sketchy shoulders.

I'm considering trying a water-filled bag. I understand they're more yielding than traditional bags. Maybe, with wraps and 16oz gloves, my joints will be able to handle it.

Alternatively I may try a BOB (Body Opponent Bag). However, I get the impression they're good for refining accuracy, but sub-optimal for power development.

Does anyone have experience/advice regarding bag work and aging joints? Thanks.
    Yes - get a Muay Thai style bag, they have significantly more give.

I have a Title "Soft Strike" Thai banana bag that's pretty easy on the joints.
    I have it hung where the bottom of the bag just touches the garage floor so it has some give/swing when you really lay into it.
    Mine is about two years old (mine is the 1.0 version) and get's used for about 1.5 hours a week. It still has it's shape and hasn't softened up too much in the heavy contact zones.
    Last edited by JodyH; 09-22-2019 at 08:27 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

While there’s no replacement for hitting a heavy bag for peak power development, You can cover the majority of your power needs with medicine ball, weighted ball and shot put throws, band work, Jumping, swimming,etc.

You’ll have a lot more power development by staying healthy and not hitting a heavy bag, than you will if you’re risking obvious injuries. I think a BOB and some self restraint would be a better choice.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Not much to add, but listen to your body, because each person’s is different. I’m 51, and can hit the bag at the gym harder than hell (as in, my coach has forbidden me from using all but the 3 big bags—I can hit a lot harder than my skinny build would indicate), but one, I have good striking mechanics, and two, I always warm up.

I’ve got to get a good sweat going before I do anything that puts stress on my joints, because they’re not all that hardy. I’ll do 20 min of elliptical before doing bench, dead, or squat, and I’ll do at least 3 rounds of shadow boxing, and one or two rounds of "quick feet" on the ol’ plywood stepbox before I’ll even look at hitting the bag.

JMO, OMMV, etc.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Some great responses here.

It seems that a bag with softer construction (Thai, water, foam), combined with high quality gloves, may be a solution. Or the BOB, as a lower risk option.

I'll check Craigs List for all of the above.

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

ETA: I enjoy the double end bag, and the speed bag. And I appreciate the accuracy, timing and coordination they develop. But neither one is as satisfying as throwing hard shots on a big bag.
    Last edited by Mark D; 09-22-2019 at 03:52 PM.

I like the Title GEL gloves quite a bit, they do make a difference though they've gotten fairly expensive from when I first bought them.

Is it the impact or the motion that causes most of your pain? You could focus on speed and snapping your punches rather than a hard follow through to lessen impact. If you just want to work on punch speed and accuracy, double end bags are great.

User Tag List