Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I need a Glock 42?

The G42 is the smallest auto-pistol that I have found, which I can use with a proper two-handed, thumbs-forward grip. So, its accuracy potential is far better than anything smaller. Actually, the G42 fits me notably better than some pistols which are quite a bit larger than the G42. This fit equation is, of course, with my individual, unique hands, so may not apply to others.

.380 ACP cannot smash through intervening cover as well as service cartridges, but can break bones, and has adequate penetration, so fits within my level of acceptability for unarmored opponents.

Age, wear, and tear have not been kind to my right thumb, hand, wrist, arm, and shoulder. J-Snubs now torture the base joint of my right thumb, at least with any .38 Special load. Compact nines, to include the G19, are now lefty-only weapons for me. The G42 has become my “old man’s” compact handgun. Just about any handgun, with a grip frame that does not fully bridge from the web of my hand, to the deepest point of the heel of my hand, is now problematic for me. The auto-pistols I will still shoot right-handed are either full-duty/service-sized, or, G42. The G42 is a uniquely helpful wee beastie, at least for now, for my aging hand(s), subject to change. (I can get all of my skinny fingers firmly on a G19 grip, but G19’s backstrap does not quite reach the bone at the deepest point of the heel of my hand, so, a G19, unless it has a WML or a comp to damp recoil, has joined the list of handguns I will no longer shoot right-handed*.)

In short, the G42 is, at least for this moment in time, a uniquely gentle weapon, for me to shoot.

The pocket-carry factor favors the J-Snub, especially in the event of a FUT, but some of my pockets pockets are more-or-less OK, if not ideal, with the G42. The G42 cannot totally replace the J-Snub as a pocket weapon, for me, but has largely replaced the J-Snub in this role, especially when a stout blade is added to the equation.

I need a G42, enough that I bought a second one. My wife is probably going to start carrying one of mine, soon, so, I will probably buy another G42, or more, soon.

I see the G42, as a personal need, for me.

*Though left-handed, I am right-armed. I chose to carry primary at 0300, in 1983, while learning DA revolvering at a police academy. So, having to mostly shoot lefty is not a scary prospect; I have been functionally ambidextrous with most of my handguns, for quite a while. The challenge, if/when I elect to transition to left-side primary, will be remembering the change of position(s) of the weapon(s).
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-22-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    I've commented on both a G42 vs a 642 in several threads on P-F. I like both. I can shoot both decently. I will shoot them in IDPA for grins and practice.
    I had bought one of the first G42s out there. Mistake, it was a horror and had to go back. Since then it runs well. The G42 is much easier on the hands than a 642. I might switch to wadcutters in the next ammo buy.

The Js somethings fit my pocket better. Carry the extra ammo - speed strip for the 642 (slow). Extra mags for G42: Since I pocket carry the G42 mostly (only use a holster at matches), where to put the extra. Well - suprisingly in Dockers (OH, no - Levis, boycott them, Boycott Walmart, Chik-Fil-A, fossil fuels, oh my), some have a neat pocket inside the right pocket that fits a G42 mag. For cargo pants, I found, DeSantis makes a two mag pocket mag pouch.

Finding a left handed OWB for a G42 was a pain. Haven't looked recently.

If you have J frame, you really don't need a G42 but I like mine.

Site Supporter
    I bought a G42 when they first came out. Great pistol - accurate, easy to shoot, reliable. I bought a G43 when they came out and sold the G42. I decided I wanted the 9mm over the 380.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post

The pocket-carry factor favors the J-Snub, especially in the event of a FUT, but some of my pockets pockets are more-or-less OK, if not ideal, with the G42. The G42 cannot totally replace the J-Snub as a pocket weapon, for me, but has largely replaced the J-Snub in this role, especially when a stout blade is added to the equation.
    First, what is a FUT? I feel like I should know but I've don't.

Second: I don't own a J frame or a small pocket carry semi-auto so I've been reading/researching and watching youtube videos about J frames, LCR's, and small semi-autos. I like the flatness os a semi-auto for pocket carry, but I also like the simplicity of a revolver for pocket carry. I'll probably end up with both someday, but I don't know what I should purchase first. I almost had a J frame but the buyer changed his mind and kept it. Now after reading about the G42 and I like Glocks, I think I need the G42 first. Maybe.
    Those with G42's are there any pants it doesn't work with? I wear jeans(cheap jeans) 99.9% of the time(#blessed) so I assume I can carry a G42 all the time.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    First, what is a FUT? I feel like I should know but I've don't.

Second: I don't own a J frame or a small pocket carry semi-auto so I've been reading/researching and watching youtube videos about J frames, LCR's, and small semi-autos. I like the flatness os a semi-auto for pocket carry, but I also like the simplicity of a revolver for pocket carry. I'll probably end up with both someday, but I don't know what I should purchase first. I almost had a J frame but the buyer changed his mind and kept it. Now after reading about the G42 and I like Glocks, I think I need the G42 first. Maybe.
    Those with G42's are there any pants it doesn't work with? I wear jeans(cheap jeans) 99.9% of the time(#blessed) so I assume I can carry a G42 all the time.
    FUT = eFfed-Up Tangle, or something like that. Shivworks/SouthNarc language.

Different weapons shapes work better in different pockets. All else being equal, it is easier to get a good grasp on a rounded-grip object than a flat, three-dimensional rectangle.

A protruding, blocky rear portion of a striker-fired auto-pistol slide can interfere with a smooth, swift exit from a pocket. pocket. The smaller the pocket opening, the worse it gets. The tighter the pocket, the worse it gets.

I have non-cheap jeans, Wranger “pro rodeo,” or something like that, and one pair of terrible 5.11 “tactical” jeans, none of which can accommodate a G42 or a J-Snub. I have given up on jeans, for carrying anything in the pockets.

Watch and listen to the P&S video, on the subject of snubbies.

Last edited by Rex G; 09-22-2019 at 01:41 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I have non-cheap jeans, Wranger “pro rodeo,” or something like that, and one pair of terrible 5.11 “tactical” jeans, none of which can accommodate a G42 or a J-Snub. I have given up on jeans, for carrying anything in the pockets.
    Will you get kicked out of Texas if you wear your jeans looser?

Levis #550, waist size 2" larger than my actual waist, allows me to front-pocket carry up to a G26 -- which is a bit uncomfortable for extended carry, but a G43 is no problem.
    Last edited by Joe Mac; 09-22-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    Will you get kicked out of Texas if you wear your jeans looser?

Levis #550, waist size 2" larger than my actual waist, allows me to front-pocket carry up to a G26 -- which is a bit uncomfortable for extended carry, but a G43 is no problem.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sN9IRfniuWI

I’d run into that too. I get your point.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sN9IRfniuWI

I’d run into that too. I get your point.
    Does Steven Seagal know you posted that vid?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I think they have been on the outs for quite some time now...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Hope not!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List