Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I need a Glock 42?

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I had a 42 and eventually ditched it because it didn't do anything I couldn't do better with a small revolver. The "problem" I had with the 42 is that in its performance envelope, it was basically the same as a gun at the useful end of my revolver curve, but lacked the unique niche performance capabilities of a wheelgun.
    I've owned two and sold two. Great little pistol, a pleasure to shoot but I just cannot get past how anemic the 380 round is.

Now you guys have me thinking about one also. 27 is the smallest I have right now other then a lcp ll I carry if I’m riding my bicycle around a park or grilling on the patio. Other than that it’s an issued 23 everyday all day.

Quote Originally Posted by EJO View Post
    I've owned two and sold two. Great little pistol, a pleasure to shoot but I just cannot get past how anemic the 380 round is.
    That's really not the issue, I carry full wadcutters in my .38s. A .380 FMJ will penetrate pert near clean through a dude. Expansion out of little baby guns is never going to happen, so penetration is job #1. 38s and .380s will adequately penetrate. One of the problems with an FMJ is that it's more likely to glance off bone structures.

Site Supporter
    Since I mostly load my 642 with the lightest recoiling rounds I can, I also consider the 642 and G42 to be essentially on par ballistically. I carry whichever suits the attire of the day better except when I’m going to work - then, I either don’t take anything or take the 642 b/c I’m supposed to unload before I get there and lock up in the car. .380 JHPs don’t really like being repeatedly cycled through the action, while .38s don’t care how many times they are removed and replaced in the cylinder.

The G42 is lighter, thinner, holds a couple more rounds, has better sights, and we have two because my wife will actually shoot hers, unlike just about anything else that isn’t a .22. It never draws blood from the hand that shoots it. The 642 might.

I have no use for the G43. I have a G26, G42, and 642. G43 seems kind of superfluous.

All that said, I just bought a S&W 60LS because ... reasons. Including being able to actually shoot it without feeling masochistic or loading mouse-fart handloads for it. I may only shoot the 642 once or twice a year after this. Or maybe never.

Site Supporter
    My grip causes malfunctions in the G42. Yet, my LCP works, as did a previous one.

The LCP is the only .380 I can think of that has been reliable for me. P232, G42, M&P EZ Shield have all had issue.

The LCP is not fun to shoot, but it disappears better than either a G42 or j frame, and has been reliable in my experience. Plus the LONG trigger pull gives you some safety for its intended role.

I am not opposed to a .380 in a bigger gun, but I need it to be reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    That's really not the issue, I carry full wadcutters in my .38s. A .380 FMJ will penetrate pert near clean through a dude. Expansion out of little baby guns is never going to happen, so penetration is job #1. 38s and .380s will adequately penetrate. One of the problems with an FMJ is that it's more likely to glance off bone structures.
    I haven’t had issues with my G43 in a pocket. But if I had to carry a .380 I suspect I’d stuff it full of the solid copper bullets from Lehigh/Underwood. (Extreme Penetrator)

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    My grip causes malfunctions in the G42. Yet, my LCP works, as did a previous one.

The LCP is the only .380 I can think of that has been reliable for me. P232, G42, M&P EZ Shield have all had issue.

The LCP is not fun to shoot, but it disappears better than either a G42 or j frame, and has been reliable in my experience. Plus the LONG trigger pull gives you some safety for its intended role.

I am not opposed to a .380 in a bigger gun, but I need it to be reliable.
    I have never had an LCP (out of two) go 500 rounds without malfunction. The most recent did 303 which is a decent run without cleaning, but I guess I just want it better before I trust them.

If I knew it would go 200 rounds without cleaning and oiling, and do that every time for 1000 rounds total I would call that good to go.

Hammertime
    For context: I don’t carry any of these pocket pistols as a primary except lounging around the house, workout clothes, etc. A Rule 1 gun so to speak.

Mostly they are to give me the option for a ‘hand on the gun,’ gun, in addition to the usual AIWB. Timmy fantasy football in my case, but I like to experiment.

I don’t think pocket carry alone is ideal.

Site Supporter
    I was looking at the HandgunHero website today comparing the G42 and LCP II. Since Glock is having Blue Label pricing for veterans till Veterans Day I'm leaning towards the G42 for pocket carry but the LCP II is a wee bit smaller/lighter. I don't know.
    Last edited by Blades; 09-21-2019 at 10:27 PM.
    --Jason--

I wear Carhartt B357 shorts most of the year. I prefer to pocket carry a G43 whenever I can, however the front pockets on some of my shorts aren't as deep as the others and with these particular shorts I carry a G42. I use a Boraii Eagle pocket holster for both.

User Tag List