Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I need a Glock 42?

Site Supporter

Do I need a Glock 42?

I have a 642 and a Glock 43 I often pocket carry. I realize need has little to do with many gun choices. I'm trying to decide if I need a 42. There are situations where the 642 shines and times where the 43 gets the nod. There are also times I wish I had something a little smaller. Normally this is due to pocket shape or size. Is the 42 smaller enough to make a difference or woukd I have to step down to an Lcp?

The 42 will have less recoil than the other choices. The 42 will be a little larger than the 43 and maybe the same the 642. I have seen reports of the 42 being quite shoot able and accurate. I carry wadcutters in the 642 and federal 145's in the 43.

I'm there with you. Have a 442 and a G43...teetering on the edge of a G42 purchase, despite my reservations about .380.

I've probably read this thread completely 10 times:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....istol-there-is

@GJM 's post #22 sums it up. It weighs the same or less than the 442, to boot. It prompted me to dig up a used G42 blue gun and try out some holsters...from that, I think it is way more suitable to pocket carry than the G43. The Blue Force Gear holster GJM mentioned works way better than the others I have tried.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I have a 642 and a Glock 43 I often pocket carry. I realize need has little to do with many gun choices. I'm trying to decide if I need a 42. There are situations where the 642 shines and times where the 43 gets the nod. There are also times I wish I had something a little smaller. Normally this is due to pocket shape or size. Is the 42 smaller enough to make a difference or woukd I have to step down to an Lcp?

The 42 will have less recoil than the other choices. The 42 will be a little larger than the 43 and maybe the same the 642. I have seen reports of the 42 being quite shoot able and accurate. I carry wadcutters in the 642 and federal 145's in the 43.
    I had a 42 and eventually ditched it because it didn't do anything I couldn't do better with a small revolver. The "problem" I had with the 42 is that in its performance envelope, it was basically the same as a gun at the useful end of my revolver curve, but lacked the unique niche performance capabilities of a wheelgun.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    The "problem" I had with the 42 is that in its performance envelope, it was basically the same as a gun at the useful end of my revolver curve, but lacked the unique niche performance capabilities of a wheelgun.
    Care to elaborate on this niche performance capabilities.

Hammertime

Do I need a Glock 42?

I like the G42, but I am on again, off again with it. Currently on again.

Pros:
    Lightweight, 16.3oz loaded with 7. Lighter than a 642 with 5. Much lighter than a G43 at 21.8oz loaded.

Extremely reliable. I have had two come through 2k tests with zero stoppages not attributable to ammo defects.

Small enough to hide.

Absolutely delightful and non punishing to shoot. Almost .22 level fun.

Cons: 4oz heavier and significantly bigger than the LCP which shoots as well, but is not nearly as fun or reliable. I think the G42 is kind of big for the pocket. But it is probably the smallest thing that is stone cold reliable. Certainly the smallest semi auto pistol.

.380 ballistics are marginal.

I personally am at a quandary. I want a reliable, lightweight pocket gun and am caliber agnostic about it. I have tried many over the years and am currently trialing a G42 versus a LCR in .38. They both feel quite large, heavy and obvious versus an LCP in the pocket which absolutely disappears. The LCP just doesn’t meet my reliability standard though.

Both the G42 and .38 LCR hover at 16.2-3 oz loaded so they are similar in weight. The G42 shoots much better, and seems much less bulky in pocket. The LCR draws amazing and has a heavier and perhaps safer trigger, but is shootability hampered next to the G42.

Other guns I have tried:

Unreliable: P3AT, Beretta Bobcat, Boberg R9.

Too heavy: G43, Rohrbaugh R9

Pretty decent, on the heavy side and sometimes unreliable (mine wasn’t). Sold because it felt unbalanced compared to the G42: Kahr PM9.

The G42 might be the best of all the bad choices.

If you just want a gun with you that will almost certainly bang once, with the least bother: Ruger LCP.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 09-21-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    I'm there with you. Have a 442 and a G43...teetering on the edge of a G42 purchase, despite my reservations about .380.

I've probably read this thread completely 10 times:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....istol-there-is
    The 42 will add another round to load for. I have also read that thread and a few more. A lot of good info. Most of the talk on the 42 are pre 43 threads.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I had a 42 and eventually ditched it because it didn't do anything I couldn't do better with a small revolver. The "problem" I had with the 42 is that in its performance envelope, it was basically the same as a gun at the useful end of my revolver curve, but lacked the unique niche performance capabilities of a wheelgun.
    I load my 642 with wadcutters. I think that levels out the performance side between the 42 and 642. The 42 can shoot the hottest round comfortably, easier to reload and an additional round.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I like the G42, but I am on again, off again with it. Currently on again.

Pros:
    Lightweight, 16.3oz loaded with 7. Lighter than a 642 with 5. Much lighter than a G43 at 21.8oz loaded.

Extremely reliable. I have had two come through 2k tests with zero stoppages not attributable to ammo defects.

Small enough to hide.

Absolutely delightful and non punishing to shoot. Almost .22 level fun.

Cons: 4oz heavier and significantly bigger than the LCP which shoots as well, but is not nearly as fun or reliable. I think the G42 is kind of big for the pocket. But it is probably the smallest thing that is stone cold reliable. Certainly the smallest semi auto pistol.

.380 ballistics are marginal.

I personally am at a quandary. I want a reliable, lightweight pocket gun and am caliber agnostic about it. I have tried many over the years and am currently trialing a G42 versus a LCR in .38. They both feel quite large, heavy and obvious versus an LCP in the pocket which absolutely disappears. The LCP just doesn’t meet my reliability standard though.

Both the G42 and .38 LCR hover at 16.2-3 oz loaded so they are similar in weight. The G42 shoots much better, and seems much less bulky in pocket. The LCR draws amazing and has a heavier and perhaps safer trigger, but is shootability hampered next to the G42.

Other guns I have tried:

Unreliable: P3AT, Beretta Bobcat, Boberg R9.

Too heavy: G43, Rohrbaugh R9

Pretty decent, on the heavy side and sometimes unreliable (mine wasn’t). Sold because it felt unbalanced compared to the G42: Kahr PM9.

The G42 might be the best of all the bad choices.

If you just want a gun with you that will almost certainly bang once, with the least bother: Ruger LCP.
    The LCP I had was reliable. I didn't find it fun to shoot. I think the 42 is a good compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Care to elaborate on this niche performance capabilities.
    Small revolvers are (in my opinion) better for deep concealment and entangled gunfighting than small semi-autos. Since the capacities are largely the same, if I'm not going to carry a full size gun, I can do more with a wheelgun than I can with an auto of similar size.

Site Supporter
    Yes you do.

Others, especially E/doc_glock have covered the pros/cons on paper. I’ll just note that I’ve owned 2 G43s and 3 642s, and they’ve all moved on. I still have the 42 (and an LCR, for C/jetfire’s reasons).

The 42—at least the current production—is one sweet, reliable, easy shooter. I really like that user-friendly little gun.

Everyone has an opinion, and mine is that Glocks are cheap enough to split around the 43, with a 42 and, say, a 48 or 26–making the 43 pretty useless to me. Like I say, JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I acquired a G42 a couple years or so ago in a multiple used gun purchase. Figured I'd keep it around for an intro gun.

Once I started shooting it I quickly fell in love with the damned thing. Super smooth and more accurate than I ever expected. Play around with one at 75 yards - it'll surprise ya.

I geared up for the G42 and started carrying it. More pleasure. And with some of the rather spirited Underwood loads I have a fair amount of confidence in the little Glock

Now I'm caught up in an extended medical issue thing and lightweight, slim and low recoil are quite important to me. The 42 has worked well enough for my new reality that I decided to buy a second one. Winter's comin'. One on me and one in the coat pocket.

The Glock 42 is a pistol I never wanted yet it has become a favorite. Ya just never know what life is going to throw at you. Sooo.... yes, I say you should indeed buy a G42

Name:  P1110045.jpg
Views: 2053
Size:  102.7 KB

User Tag List