Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Threadlocker (Loctite)

Threadlocker (Loctite)

Having used the wrong threadlocker for a particular application trust me when I say it's a bitch.

For small screws such as the ones for a pistol mounted RMR. It obviously has to hold against the vibration but also be removed with hand tools and without the application of heat.

What do you guys use??

Thanks, David

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    Having used the wrong threadlocker for a particular application trust me when I say it's a bitch.

For small screws such as the ones for a pistol mounted RMR. It obviously has to hold against the vibration but also be removed with hand tools and without the application of heat.

What do you guys use??

Thanks, David
    I'd use Purple Loctite, 222 or 222 MS.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

A single drop of purple for any small/fine screw that needs to be hand tight or slightly torqued.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhado View Post
    vibra-tite VC3
    I got some vibra-tite VC3 for small RDS screws. Little nervous as it is RED and I immediately think RED Loctite. VC3 will allow screws to be removed without significant efforts?

Used Blue on my last two, no issues. It breaks mechanically.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I got some vibra-tite VC3 for small RDS screws. Little nervous as it is RED and I immediately think RED Loctite. VC3 will allow screws to be removed without significant efforts?
    VC3 never fully hardens, it stays thick and sticky. This makes it easier to remove than blue loctite while keeping screws in place.

I've used in on MOS, AOS and direct mill screws with no issues.

It's also reusable up to 5 times. This makes it great for holster hardware that needs to be adjusted. You can loosen and tighten the screws without having to re-apply.

It also sets in 30 min so you can mount optics before you drive to the range instead of needing to wait 24 hours.

I've found this application information to be useful:

222 - Purple - Low strength thread locker, designed for precision metal fasteners under
    3/4". Protect threads from rust and corrosion. Removable with hand tools. Temp range -
    65 to 300 degrees F. Cure Speed 20 min. Full 24 hrs.

242 - Blue - Medium strength thread locker for fasteners up to 3/4". Cures reliably even
    on stainless steel. Tolerant of oil and other contamination. Protects threads from rust and
    corrosion. Parts can be disassembled with hand tools. Temp range -65 to 300 degrees F.
    Cure speed 15 min. Full 24 hrs.

262 - Red - Permanent strength thread locker for fasteners up to 3/4". Designed for
    extreme environmental/chemical conditions. Especially useful for holding tight Grade 5
    and 8 fasteners. Protects threads from rust and corrosion. Localized heating and hand
    tools required for disassembly. Temp range -65 to 300 degrees F. Cure speed 30 min.
    Full 24 hrs.

272 - Red - Hi-temp/hi-strength formula. Suited for temperatures up to 450 degrees F.
    Fast cure on most surfaces including "as received" fasteners. Recommended for bolts up
    to 1 1/2" in diameter. Heat and hand tools required for disassembly. Temp range -65 to
    450 degrees F. Cure speed 60 min. Full 24 hrs.

277 - Red - High strength for locking fasteners up to 1 1/2". Prevents fasteners from
    loosening due to shock, heat or vibration . Protects threads from rust and corrosion.
    Removable with heat and hand tools. Temp range -65 to 300 degrees F. Cure speed 60
    min. Full 24 hrs.

290 - Green - Medium strength thread locker for pre-assembled bolts up to 1/2".
    Penetrates threads by capillary action: simplifies preventive maintenance. Secures set
    screws and other assemblies after settings are completed. Used to seal welds and porous
    metal parts. Protects threads from rust and corrosion. Temp range -65 to 300 degrees.
    Cure speed 10 min. Full 24 hrs.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    This...
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    This...
    +Plus 3

I used it on motorcycle carb mixture screws back in the day. It was the only thing that would hold them set once set and still allow adjustment. Think of it as a hard wax/hard rubber hybrid or something. It's good stuff for high vibration applications.

User Tag List