Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for ideas on a new CC pistol

Looking for ideas on a new CC pistol

Don’t get me wrong, my little Ruger LC9S has served me well. I’ve enjoyed carrying it but because it was pretty much the only thing that I felt would satisfy my needs, back when I got it, I’m just curious what all else might be out there that might serve me better.

Yes, I am a fan of the PX4 Storm series by Beretta and after really liking carrying concealed in a cargo pocket of a pair of cargo pants (and shorts), I figured maybe I’d finally have enough reason and justification to get me one of those little sub-compact Storms because they work identical to my other three Storms. And, I can make it a Type-G decocker only to match the others but, even though it’s small, it’s still a heavy little gun. It’s like my Ruger but one and a half...lol.

So with that said, what would be a good DA/SA decocker only, single-stack pistol about or close to the size of the Ruger? How would one of those little baby 1911’s work? l know that’s not within the parameters of a single-stack(if there was one) SC Storm but it would however be very similar to how I carry my 10mm Sig out in the woods cocked and locked. Would that make a good pocket-carry pistol?

Don’t really think I want anything striker-fired as I really have become accustomed to hammer-fired guns.

I guess there’s always the possibility of revolvers too but I like being able to carry upwards of ten rounds without having to reload. Which, I know, I’ve often thought about the idea of carrying a second magazine and now that cargo pocket carry is very doable and much more comfortable, it also makes it a lot easier to carry a spare mag.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by corneileous; 09-20-2019 at 09:54 AM.

I think the most compact DA/SA pistol on the market is the Springfield XDE. Normally Im not a fan of Springfield, but Langdon Tactical recently released their upgraded version of this gun. There is a thread on it a few pages down, looks like it may be perfect for your situation, particularly if you need 10+ rounds.

I had a Sig P938 for a while, it conceals really well. Actually significantly more concealable vs a G43, despite being almost identical on paper. However, the manual safety is very hard to put back on safe, and the ambi safety would sometimes pinch my hand, and in general it was an uncomfortable gun to shoot unless you held it "just right", and my experience with it convinced my manual safeties were a bad idea for pocket carry.

I would also check out the Kahr series of Pistols if you need something smaller or cheaper Vs the XDE.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Nothing that meets all your wants exists. A small single stack won't hold 10+ rounds without a reload. A pretty big single stack won't either without extended mags.

Do you know the difference between TDA and SAO, because asking about 1911s in the same breath as decocker only doesn't make sense?

I guess if you're ok with SAO, a Sig P938 would meet the rest of what you want and is a fairly common pocket gun. Personally, I wouldn't want one but that's true of most pocket semi autos.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Glock 43X with SCD

SIG P225

Looking for ideas on a new CC pistol

After exploring a lot of different options, I’ve settled on carrying a compact TDA AIWB (CZ P-07) almost all the time. If I can carry a G43, a P07 isn’t really any more trouble.

If I need a very small gun, I carry a LCP 1 (v2) loaded with Underwood/Lehigh XP.

In between sized guns aren’t that useful for me anymore.

Carrying TDA and SA 1911 type guns seems like a bad idea. The manual of arms is too different.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-20-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I have tried a lot of different guns out there. And carried some of those too.

At the end of the day there isn't "one" gun that fulfills all needs and criteria. Instead, one should opt for at least 2 sizes of gun that have similar or the same manual of arms. In your case, you use and like PX4 storms, which have nice smooth DA trigger pulls and then convert over to single-action. If you're comfortable and accurate with those DA pulls, I'd highly recommend you go investigate Kahr's guns, in particular the 9mm and .380 series of guns. They have a long, but very smooth, DA trigger that is probably the closest thing you'll find a D-spring equipped PX4 in a sub-compact handgun that you can pocket carry.

I wouldn't fiddle around with changing your mechanics much. The Kahr won't care if you try to push down on a decocker that does not exist on its slide when you come off the gun and go to holster or assess after shooting. But the mini-1911s will care if you don't disable the thumb safety and they'll care if you don't enable the thumb safety too. Particularly the 9mm and .380 guns that don't have grip safeties. If you're used to a longer first pull and not having to do anything when you draw the gun except align the sights and stroke the trigger, then don't mess with your brain wiring, it ain't broken, don't try to fix it.

Site Supporter
    Make one of your Storms work or pivot to a vetted Kahr are both workable solutions. Keeping a mini 1911 running reliably can be more art than science. I would take a hard pass on such a platform unless I was already a dyed in the wool 4-5 inch 1911 guy who was going to take the time to stay up on keeping the mini 1911 running.

Having said that:

Help us understand why a 6 ft, 270lb truck driver cannot wear one of his 3 Storms in quality owb holster, held in place buy a quality belt (size 42-44 IIRC) such that he can have a positive, consistent sub 2 sec draw when his hands are at his sides?

Out of curiosity-how long does it take for you to draw your pistol out of your cargo pants and put a shot on an 8 inch plate @5 yrds with your hands at your sides before the "beep" goes off so to speak

FWIW-It is starting to sound like you are looking for a hardware solution to a software problem.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 09-20-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post

So with that said, what would be a good DA/SA decocker only, single-stack pistol about or close to the size of the Ruger?
    Walther PPK
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Nothing that meets all your wants exists. A small single stack won't hold 10+ rounds without a reload. A pretty big single stack won't either without extended mags.
    9 or 10- including one chambered would be ok. The Ruger with its 9-round mag works well. It’s a little tight in this fairly small pocket in my denim work jeans but a bigger front pocket would eliminate that.

Do you know the difference between TDA and SAO, because asking about 1911s in the same breath as decocker only doesn't make sense?
    Yes. Well, what exactly is true double-action? My Storms are DA on that first shot but they’re not like the D’s that are that same DA shot all the way through.

My 10mm p220 Sig is SAO and so is my little 22 magnum revolver but the only relevant difference, is the Sig doesn’t have to be cocked each shot thereafter like the little revolver. That’s why I asked about a little baby 1911 because it’s carried like my Sig.

Would one of those be OK for pocket carry? Looking at the little Springfield XDE, I see where it said it could be carried cocked and locked like a 1911 or it could be carried just like my storms can - safety off, hammer not cocked.

Which brings me to something I just thought of- having an un-cocked hammer with the safety off of that little Springfield is pretty much the same as any of my storms in their original type F format with the safety off but the reason why I didn’t just leave them they way was because Beretta advised against caring a type f with the safety off because it wasn’t designed that way. I really don’t think there’s anything different between a type f with the safety off and a type g.

I guess if you’re ok with SAO, a Sig P938 would meet the rest of what you want and is a fairly common pocket gun. Personally, I wouldn’t want one but that’s true of most pocket semi autos.
    So why wouldn’t you carry one? Just curious.

I just figured that really the only other pistol that I carry on me is my Sig, and I figured since a baby 1911 is carried in the same manner that maybe that would help with consistency. That’s why I’m looking at something at something either with a double- action/no safety, or a SAO semi that has to have a safety being that used to bring around both- the safety on the Ruger and the safety on the Sig or the safety-less DA of my Storms. Either one of those two styles is what I’m looking at. I just don’t want nothing that’s like a Glock.

The Berettas are just too much to carry on me. I’ve got the 45 storm over there that stays in my backpack that goes with me on the truck that holds my charging cords, Garmin/ other stuff- my .40 full-size storm stays inside the safe in the center console of my pick up, and the little 9 mm compact storm is what usually stays at home as my nightstand pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List