Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10-8 Performance Lab, Episode 4: Finishes For Your 1911

10-8 Performance Lab, Episode 4: Finishes For Your 1911

I assume that’s Hilton Yam himself? Really cool that he’s doing these videos.

Interesting comments about salt bath nitride but it seems to me that doing slide/frame/grip safety and then springs/small parts as appropriate would be the most reasonable strategy for a high performance finish. I do remember there was some conjecture about SBN and slide warpage when we were all worried about gen 1 M&P9 accuracy but I’m not sure if that was ever explored. All of my SBN service pistols have been stellar with regards to finish (Glock, SIG, H&K, S&W) and I’ve heard nothing but good things about Dan Wesson’s SBN on their 1911s so I’d imagine SBN would be good to go at least for the large parts on a 1911.
    Last edited by Super77; 09-19-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Didn’t Yam make this big announcement a couple years back about his “path” away from the 1911? Didn’t he stop recommending them?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    Didn’t Yam make this big announcement a couple years back about his “path” away from the 1911? Didn’t he stop recommending them?
    IIRC, he stopped recommending them for organizational issue. Not for individual use by a switched on user willing and knowledgeable to perform their own PM.

I think I remember that, but my memory is that he opined that 1911's were not suitable for mass issue because they demanded regular servicing. But he (again, IIRC) also said that for an individual who liked to mess with guns they remained appropriate.

I seem i remember that he went beyond just agency use and also said he wouldn’t be using them anymore. Unfortunately for some reason the post he wrote is no longer on modernserviceweapons where he initially posted it (even though older posts are still there) or at least the links to it from older articles are all dead....but I’m not a computer guy so could be I’m just not looking correctly. One comment from the time on another forum said he ended it with this line-“I no longer need the 1911 as a crutch, and can now just concentrate on the performance.”. I also remember him talking about how 9mm 1911’s were inherently problematic in his “path away article” which is interesting because once a few companies got the magazines worked out none other then Bill Wilson has said that the 9mm 1911 is actually more reliable because of the case design. I find this newly rediscovered interest interesting.

Site Supporter
    I seem i remember that he went beyond just agency use and also said he wouldn’t be using them anymore. Unfortunately for some reason the post he wrote is no longer on modernserviceweapons where he initially posted it (even though older posts are still there) or at least the links to it from older articles are all dead....but I’m not a computer guy so could be I’m just not looking correctly. One comment from the time on another forum said he ended it with this line-“I no longer need the 1911 as a crutch, and can now just concentrate on the performance.”. I also remember him talking about how 9mm 1911’s were inherently problematic in his “path away article” which is interesting because once a few companies got the magazines worked out none other then Bill Wilson has said that the 9mm 1911 is actually more reliable because of the case design. I find this newly rediscovered interest interesting.
    I respect Bill Wilson a lot and I'm sure he's forgotten more about the 1911 than I'll ever know. But I still consider the 5" gun chambered in .45ACP to be the most reliable 1911 variant. And I've done a LOT of experimentation with 9mm 1911s over the years. Mine were mostly real solid -- in fact they were reliable enough to carry -- but I never trusted them as completely as my 45s. That's just my view, not a statement of ultimate truth. I've even been a 9mm 1911 evangelist of sorts right here on this forum -- but I am once again going back to a 45 for carry.

As for Mr. Yam, in this video at about the 34:00 mark he talks about the 1911 vs. Glock thing a bit. Not much drama in his comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I respect Bill Wilson a lot and I'm sure he's forgotten more about the 1911 than I'll ever know. But I still consider the 5" gun chambered in .45ACP to be the most reliable 1911 variant. And I've done a LOT of experimentation with 9mm 1911s over the years. Mine were mostly real solid -- in fact they were reliable enough to carry -- but I never trusted them as completely as my 45s. That's just my view, not a statement of ultimate truth. I've even been a 9mm 1911 evangelist of sorts right here on this forum -- but I am once again going back to a 45 for carry.

As for Mr. Yam, in this video at about the 34:00 mark he talks about the 1911 vs. Glock thing a bit. Not much drama in his comments
    I watched the part you recommended. It illustrates why Yam getting involved in the 1911 world again kind of rubs me the wrong way. He’s pretty dismissive of the gun. Particularly when he talks about the 1911 having another resurgence right now and how he says the reasons are a mystery to him. I think he’s somewhat out of date on the platform because since his Lebron James Decision like moment back in 2013, things have changed. Production 1911’s from makers like Springfield have gotten way better due to advanced CNC machinery and 9mm 1911’s really have been revolutionary in the 1911 world. Things have changed more since his whole “path away” moment then they had in the 20 years before that. As awesome as my 2007 built CQB is for example, a 2019 CQB in 9mm is an even better gun by far.

Also, if it’s not a passion that you still get, it’s probably not the best thing to get involved in again. I’m a Mustang guy, I know allot about them and how to make them go fast but if I were to write a big post for people to read saying the Mustang Coyote V8 is a crutch and I’m going to a Civic Si and then years later get back in the Mustang game saying I don’t get why they’re popular and I don’t drive them.....but hey let me educate you about them.....I just don’t think that works. I mean, I get it, there’s more money to be made by him in the 1911 world then in the Glock world but for me, I’m going to stick with guys like those from Wilson and Rob from Alchemy when it comes time to learn about and outfit my 1911’s. They know more, and they’re passion for the gun means they keep more up to date on the current trends/state of the art in the 1911 world.

Just one mans opinion.

I can't imagine wanting to turn my back on knowledge offered by one of the very few people in the world who has experience shooting 1911s at a high level, building high end custom 1911s, and maintaining a fleet of them at an operator level. Plenty of people have two of those, very few have all three.

But I'm biased since Hilton is my friend, and I tend to stick up for my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I can't imagine wanting to turn my back on knowledge offered by one of the very few people in the world who has experience shooting 1911s at a high level, building high end custom 1911s, and maintaining a fleet of them at an operator level. Plenty of people have two of those, very few have all three.

But I'm biased since Hilton is my friend, and I tend to stick up for my friends.
    I get it, if he were my friend I’d be saying the same thing I’m sure. Obviously I’ve already stated why it rubs me the wrong way. For me I suppose there is a combination of arrogance and dismissiveness that rubs me the wrong way, so I should state that in fairness. I mean come on, he really doesn’t know why the gun keeps being popular? I’m not saying anyone has to agree or come to the same conclusion but anyone here could explain why it always comes back into vogue time and again even if it’s not their choice. Also the reason I’m not as interested is because there is more information out there on the subject then has ever been before. Wilson Combat alone has put out excellent 1911 maintenance videos and general knowledge recently that is just excellent. Also like I stated, CNC machines and advanced manufacturing process has advanced so much over just the past 5 years that the 1911 world has moved on considerably since his path changed. It’s actually staggering the amount of progress in 1911’s in that time. For example, the Wilson ETM/HD mags are game changing....and they were released after he left the 1911 world, which is why he’s probably still mostly talking about 47D’s and CMC Power mags. Also Wilson flat wire springs have changed the game for recoil spring function, particularly in the 9mm game, which has also changed so much since 2015ish. There’s simply more up to date information in larger volumes then ever before available from guys who have a passion and keep up with the 1911 and never made an announcement that they were turning their back on it half a decade ago.

Like I said, one man’s opinion.

User Tag List