Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for ideas on a new CC pistol

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Honestly you can find most of those answers with the search function and I'm not going to reinvent the wheel here for you.

Let's drill down a bit. What are you trying to accomplish? Do you just want "different" or is there some problem you're trying to solve? If your goal is to be as good as you can be, pick one platform and stick with it. If you want to collect or have a new shiny play-toy buy whatever catches your eye. Can you deactivate the safety 100% of the time when under extreme stress, possibly being grappled, and possibly injured? If you're willing to bet your life that the answer is 'yes' get something with a thumb safety. If that's not a wager you're willing to accept, get away from thumb safeties and go with a TDA or striker fired gun.

As far as why I wouldn't want one, any semi-auto I can fit in a pocket isn't going to shoot well enough for me to be satisfied with. The Shield is as small as I can go and not feel like I might as well hold the gun with chopsticks.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Walther PPK
    He said a good pistol.

I love me some Walther PP/PPK but it's not a gun I would run out and buy for concealed carry. So many sharp edges...Very mediocre DA trigger pull without lots of work. Shit sights. Also it's a heavy gun compared to anything polymer. And even with a flat magazine in place a PPK isn't what I would consider a "pocket" pistol.

That said if Walther made a new blued PPK in .32 ACP, I'd have one in like 5 seconds.

Site Supporter
    May I ask politely, if you have shot the different guns in the context of a quality tactical class or a competition venue such as USPSA or IDPA?

The utility of a gun's mechanics and the interaction with your own skill level will quickly become evident.

Discussing hypothetical equipment change outs without empirical testing is silly, sorry to say.

From John Holschen:

A quote from John Holschen (respected firearms instructor) outlines the mindset of “The One Percent Club”. “Amateurs focus on equipment, Students focus on technique, Experts focus on tactics.”
    Holschen once pressed my head into the mat with vigor. Ouch. Just saying.

Site Supporter
    “The Berettas are just too much to carry on me.”

You are a 6ft, 270 lb truck driver and your the Berettas are “too” much” to carry on you....

Bless your heart, I got nothin.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Make one of your Storms work or pivot to a vetted Kahr are both workable solutions. Keeping a mini 1911 running reliably can be more art than science. I would take a hard pass on such a platform unless I was already a dyed in the wool 4-5 inch 1911 guy who was going to take the time to stay up on keeping the mini 1911 running.

Having said that:

Help us understand why a 6 ft, 270lb truck driver cannot wear one of his 3 Storms in quality owb holster, held in place buy a quality belt (size 42-44 IIRC) such that he can have a positive, consistent sub 2 sec draw when his hands are at his sides?
    Yeah, I understand what you’re saying about the little mini-1911. I didn’t fully realize that it’s still going to be like an actual 1911, except smaller.

But like I was saying, the only reason why I even considered one is because they’re small, and they are carried the way I carry my big 10 mm sig when I’m out in the woods- only difference would be that the big Sig gets carried outside the waistband and this one would be carried inside a pocket in a pocket holster.

But as far as that last part- Are you asking why I just don’t carry openly? Or are you talking about concealed carry in an OWB holster? If the latter the case, I guess I could try that but until I find some long enough T-shirts to even see if they would cover up my Ruger in that low-profile pancake holster I’ve got that I told you guys about it a different thread that could be covered up that way, that that’s why I don’t carry any of those on me.

For grins and giggles I bought one of those really nice, black, pancake holsters that Beretta sells and even with that, I can’t conceal them, even the smaller Compact I have. I don’t know if it’s just my build or what, but I feel like I have to have a trenchcoat just to cover those up even in that holster.

I can’t do shoulder holster carry because I don’t wear overshirts to cover them. The only time I could even come remotely close to getting away with that would be in the winter time but only on a day when it was actually cold enough to me that I could wear a light jacket all day long.

Out of curiosity-how long does it take for you to draw your pistol out of your cargo pants and put a shot on an 8 inch plate @5 yrds with your hands at your sides before the “beep” goes off so to speak
    Are you talking about from a standing or seated position?

I guess I could be wrong but it seems to me like you’re talking about doing that drill from a standing position. If that’s the case then I could see how reaching down to access a pistol out of a cargo pocket would be kind of hard to do.

But unless the really long T-shirt idea works to fully cover up a pancake holster for concealment- that’s why I like cargo pocket idea because yeah, even though it’s not as easily accessed that way while standing, but at least carrying it that way while sitting is much better while I was in the truck.

I figure since the top pockets on my new cargo pants have much bigger front pockets than my current bluejeans that it’ll make it easier to move the pistol to it if go inside a store.
    FWIW-It is starting to sound like you are looking for a hardware solution to a software problem.
    Please explain, now that I’ve had time to answer your response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

“The Berettas are just too much to carry on me.”

You are a 6ft, 270 lb truck driver and your the Berettas are “too” much” to carry on you....

Bless your heart, I got nothin.
    Appreciate you waiting for me to have time to respond to your first response.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Don’t really think I want anything striker-fired as I really have become accustomed to hammer-fired guns.
    By wanting a DA/SA, pocket sized, 10-round capacity gun you really don't have any options. Striker vs. hammer, if it makes any real difference, won't have any effect in a self-defence type scenario where you're digging a gun out of your pocket quickly to dispatch an aggressor.

So, if you accept that a striker-fired weapon is your only choice, the P365 would be it. I just got one and still can't get over how small and readily concealable it is yet still have 10+1 onboard. I chose it to replace my G43 for precisely this reason. There are other small, pocketable handguns of course but you won't find another one with that capacity in that size.
    Last edited by Pappy35; 09-20-2019 at 01:31 PM.

The LTT XD-E seems to be the obvious choice but a Glock + SCD is always recommended because it just works. For true pocket carry a no-lock 442 would be my suggestion.

I can’t imagine doing anything combative with a pistol flopping around in a cargo pocket.

FWIW-It is starting to sound like you are looking for a hardware solution to a software problem.
    Amen.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    The LTT XD-E seems to be the obvious choice but a Glock + SCD is always recommended because it just works. For true pocket carry a no-lock 442 would be my suggestion.
    I’m liking that little Springfield.

I can’t imagine doing anything combative with a pistol flopping around in a cargo pocket.
    Again, I primarily chose this method for sitting down in the truck all day. Of course it’s not gonna be very good for when I’m out of the truck standing up, but next to finding a concealed open carry version that works and can be covered, I don’t know of any other way.

I apologize if this sounds flippant (not my intent); maybe you just need a better belt and better holsters.

A better belt/holster combo made a huge difference for me.

User Tag List