Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Statement from Colt

Statement from Colt

Colt Statement Regarding Cessation Of Commercial AR-15 Production
    September 19th, 2019

Company Response to Questions about Colt Participation in Consumer Markets

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. (September 19th, 2019) – There have been numerous articles recently published about Colt’s participation in the commercial rifle market. Some of these articles have incorrectly stated or implied that Colt is not committed to the consumer market. We want to assure you that Colt is committed to the Second Amendment, highly values its customers and continues to manufacture the world’s finest quality firearms for the consumer market.

The fact of the matter is that over the last few years, the market for modern sporting rifles has experienced significant excess manufacturing capacity. Given this level of manufacturing capacity, we believe there is adequate supply for modern sporting rifles for the foreseeable future.

On the other hand, our warfighters and law enforcement personnel continue to demand Colt rifles and we are fortunate enough to have been awarded significant military and law enforcement contracts. Currently, these high-volume contracts are absorbing all of Colt’s manufacturing capacity for rifles. Colt’s commitment to the consumer markets, however, is unwavering. We continue to expand our network of dealers across the country and to supply them with expanding lines of the finest quality 1911s and revolvers.

At the end of the day, we believe it is good sense to follow consumer demand and to adjust as market dynamics change. Colt has been a stout supporter of the Second Amendment for over 180 years, remains so, and will continue to provide its customers with the finest quality firearms in the world.

Very respectfully,

Dennis Veilleux, President and Chief Executive Officer

Disappointing nevertheless.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    ... the market for modern sporting rifles has experienced significant excess manufacturing capacity. Given this level of manufacturing capacity, we believe there is adequate supply for modern sporting rifles for the foreseeable future.
    The market for 1911's is also saturated, so I will pass on the 9mm Commander I've been planning and look to another manufacturer that did not throw us under the bus.

This is a blatant maneuver to curry favor with the anti gun overlords prior to next year's election. Given Colt's history of insightful long term vision, strategically savvy business decisions and financial success I am sure this will work out brilliantly for them just like all their past decisions.

Site Supporter

...our warfighters and law enforcement personnel continue to demand Colt rifles...

At the end of the day, we believe it is good sense to follow consumer demand and to adjust as market dynamics change.

The way I read it is, "So...all y'all want to buy parts kits, put 'em together, and call yourselves AR 'builders'? Fine, we'll just sell to the guys that actually buy rifles..."

Site Supporter
    Some media is portraying this as an antigun statement by Colt. They are having polls to ask if you support Colt! Thus, a business decision is framed as a political statement.

One thing that catches my eye is the discontinuity in the description of the guns.

Colt uses the silly Modern Sporting Rifle to describe the semi version. As I have ranted before this is a stupid attempt to make the guns appear nice and not as weapons of war. Since they are nice, please, please don't ban Uncle Fudd's toy. It negates the principles behind the RKBA which isn't about hunting and your lard ass in the deer blind.

Then, they discuss how they will sell weapons to the military and law - obviously as instruments lethal force for the protection of civilians by the law and as weapons of war by the military.

So which is it? Not being fully auto or even 3 round burst - It's a TOY!

While I’m sure that the business justification is very true I am also certain that politics pushed the first domino.

However, people who want Colts have probably already acquired them. The general market seems to buy whatever is trending on Instagram at that particular time. The AR-15 market has been a race to the middle for some time.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

This statement should have not existed.

But if had to be said

“Here at colt we could make a lot money if we weren’t retarded. But since we are, we’re going to make a needless statement that will enrage our core customers, empower those who hate us and make us look even dumber than a 4th bankruptcy would. And in the end we still won’t make more money because we’re retarded”

Quote Originally Posted by FredWyn View Post
    Colt Statement Regarding Cessation Of Commercial AR-15 Production
    September 19th, 2019
    Do you work for Colt?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    This statement should have not existed.

But if had to be said

“Here at colt we could make a lot money if we weren’t retarded. But since we are, we’re going to make a needless statement that will enrage our core customers, empower those who hate us and make us look even dumber than a 4th bankruptcy would. And in the end we still won’t make more money because we’re retarded”
    If Colt could make money from stepping on their own dick they wouldn't have financial problems any more. The last good leadership Colt had left in...2013 or 2014, I forget when Joyce left.

User Tag List