Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Social Science Screwup

Social Science Screwup

This article may be of interest. https://quillette.com/2019/09/17/i-b...nstructionist/

A few quotes follow.

If I had known, 20 years ago, that my side in the ideological wars over gender and sex was going to win so decisively, I would have been ecstatic. Back then, I spent many evenings at the pub or at dinner parties debating gender and identity with other graduate students; or, really, anyone who would listen—my mother-in-law, my relatives, or just a random person unlucky enough to be in my presence. I insisted that there was no such thing as sex. And I knew it. I just knew it. Because I was a gender historian.
    Back then, quite a few people disagreed with me. Almost nobody who hadn’t been exposed to such theories at a university could bring themselves to believe that sex was wholly a social construct, because such beliefs went against common sense. That’s what makes it so amazing that the cultural turnaround on this issue has happened so quickly.
    I also published an article out of my Master’s thesis, which probably had a wider reach than my scholarly work. This was a fun article called Finding a Place for Father: Selling the Barbecue in Postwar Canada, which looked at the connection between men and barbecuing in Canada in the 1940s and 1950s. (Yes, this is the sort of thing that academics do.) First published back in 1998, it has been republished several times in textbooks for undergraduate students. Plenty of young university students, first learning about Canada’s history, have been forced to read that article to learn about the history of gender—and the social construction of gender.
    The problem is: I was wrong. Or, to be a bit more accurate, I got things partly right. But then, for the rest, I basically just made it up.

In my defence, I wasn’t alone. Everyone was (and is) making it up. That’s how the gender-studies field works. But it’s not much of a defence. I should have known better. If I were to retroactively psychoanalyze myself, I would say that, really, I did know better. And that’s why I was so angry and assertive about what I thought I knew. It was to hide the fact that, at a very basic level, I didn’t have proof for part of what I was saying. So I stuck to the arguments with fervor, and denounced alternative points of view. Intellectually, it wasn’t pretty. And that’s what makes it so disappointing to see that the viewpoints I used to argue for so fervently—and so baselessly [sic]—have now been accepted by so many in the wider society.
    You could cherry pick other contextual details. And indeed, in my book, I did just that. I had become fascinated by reading about the modernization of life at mid-century, and so I pointed out all of the ways in which people in the postwar years connected talking about modernity with talking about manliness. It was, as a work of scholarship, fairly elegantly done, if I may say. The problem was, it was also, partly, intellectually bankrupt.
    In other words, this is not science; it is religion as belief trumps all.

Sounds like Scientology.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Sounds like someone needs an involuntary gender change.

Social science lacking in scientific rigor? I'm stunned.

I remember sitting in a Sociology class as an undergrad. We were discussing Joan of Arc and the instructor was blathering on about how Joan of Arc dressed like a man, because she suffered from gender dysphoria and refused to abide by societies rules for women.

I raised my hand and said, "Then can you explain why Joan of Arc stated that she wore men's clothes to avoid being raped by the men she worked with?"

"She never said such a thing."

"Yes she did, it's here in the court records." - I read the passage aloud from the fucking textbook the instructor had assigned.

"Well...it's open to interpretation."

"What interpretation? That this commonly spouted talking point that holds Joan of Arc as a demigod figure in a modern socio-cultural context is probably not correct? Instead she should be understood as a function of her time and place in the world?"

"...Yes...Well, I think we'll end here for today."

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Social science lacking in scientific rigor? I'm stunned.

I remember sitting in a Sociology class as an undergrad. We were discussing Joan of Arc and the instructor was blathering on about how Joan of Arc dressed like a man, because she suffered from gender dysphoria and refused to abide by societies rules for women.

I raised my hand and said, "Then can you explain why Joan of Arc stated that she wore men's clothes to avoid being raped by the men she worked with?"

"She never said such a thing."

"Yes she did, it's here in the court records." - I read the passage aloud from the fucking textbook the instructor had assigned.

"Well...it's open to interpretation."

"What interpretation? That this commonly spouted talking point that holds Joan of Arc as a demigod figure in a modern socio-cultural context is probably not correct? Instead she should be understood as a function of her time and place in the world?"

"...Yes...Well, I think we'll end here for today."

This is going to reflect negatively in your grade young man...

As Feynman called it, "Cargo Cult Science".
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    This is going to reflect negatively in your grade young man...
    I got an A in that course. But I think it was mostly because the instructor didn't want to have to fight with me and instead wanted me to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I got an A in that course. But I think it was mostly because the instructor didn't want to have to fight with me and instead wanted me to go away.
    It is also because it happened some time ago. Today you would be called bigot and expelled by those very open and progressive people

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    It is also because it happened some time ago. Today you would be called bigot and expelled by those very open and progressive people
    Nah, not expelled; burned at the stake maybe, but not expelled.

• It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List