Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Social Science Screwup

I have a 2 year in social science. I'm 15 credits and an internship shy of a 4 year degree. I quit pursuing the degree because of professors who peddle this stuff, and stuff like it.

They peddle BS theories and concepts to moldable kids out of highschool and pass it off as higher intellectual thinking. Being a post-deployment 22ish year old I didn't buy in. The problem is that some teachers respect well thought out aruments against their opinion, and will still grade you fairly. Others will penalize you via poor grades for daring to not be open-minded like them. I got tired of having to write and say things that are 100% wrong to pass.

To graduate I needed two classes that were "problematic" They are only offered during opposite semesters. The first could only be taken with a female professor who was also head of the deparment. She could not reconcile nonsense theory with reality. She would talk about her husband and kids and their dynamics, only to talk about some warped theory that contradicted it in the next breath. The other professor seriously insulted me and made fun off me in class for being a Christian. He laughed, and the entire class just sat stunned. I think he was a bit insecure as a young professor and didnt like that I wasnt looking for validation. As the only male student I think he somehow felt challenged. I found out he was let go because he had young female students grading his papers in exchange for high grades. He had done some serious no-nos, hit on some girls, and actually done no work.

I wanted the degree to move toward law enforcment at the time. I have no intention to complete the 4 year. I learned alot about how people think, and it wasnt a waste. But it wasn't worth continuing either.

My wife also missed a 4.0 in her business degree because of 1 sociology professor who lost her test "but Im pretty sure you got a 50" on an open book test. Perfect marks in everything else. Perfect. Just shows the honesty of a few of those folks.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 09-22-2019 at 08:10 AM.

It amazes me that people don’t seem to realize that the “social sciences” are largely populated by people that never grew out of taking the opposite stance as their parents or the “establishment” as the basis for their entire existence.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    It amazes me that people don’t seem to realize that the “social sciences” are largely populated by people that never grew out of taking the opposite stance as their parents or the “establishment” as the basis for their entire existence.
    I think there's some truth to that, and that seemed to largely be the case in the 70's when I went to university.

But that doesn't negate the validity of some of their claims, aims and goals. The problem is often with the context, and (lack of) willingness to find a middle ground and not try to overthrow the system to achieve their goals. At least in my view.

No side has a monopoly on the truth.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List