Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old School K9 Still Shoots

Are there any down sides to Kahr?

Quote Originally Posted by gunrascal View Post
    Are there any down sides to Kahr?
    In general?

Long trigger pull with a reset that is pretty much all the way back...

QC can be hit or miss.

"Break-in period" on a new gun.

Magazines can sometimes disassemble - the detent on the floorplate is kinda shallow.

That said, I really like my PM9. It is a setup well, shoots well, and for a single stack, subcompact 9mm, it is pretty consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Magazines can sometimes disassemble - the detent on the floorplate is kinda shallow.
    Are spare mags still known to spit out the top round sometimes? That was an issue years ago when I carried a K9 from the 2nd year of production, or thereabouts.

This is an old school K9. First year production.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by boing View Post
    Are spare mags still known to spit out the top round sometimes? That was an issue years ago when I carried a K9 from the 2nd year of production, or thereabouts.
    Yes.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Pocket carried a spare mag in a DeSantis Mag-Packer for years with no problem.
    Loose mag in my pocket or in my range bag will turn into a Pez dispenser.

On the 9mm mags make sure when you seat the last round in the mag you feel the "click", this minimizes the Pez effect somewhat.
    I don't really know what the "click" is, but I do know it when I feel it while loading.

For PM9's there's five things to do for reliability.
    #1 : Read the damn manual. Use the slide stop to feed the first round. Slingshotting the slide is iffy.
    #2 : Install a Wolff XP 20.5# recoil spring (replace every 1000 rounds), increases slingshot reliability and increases all around reliability. Note, I only replace the outer spring regularly, never touched the inner spring.
    #3 : Make sure your bullet nose profile doesn't bump the slide stop, very lightly file the stop or change bullet styles to remedy if you lock open with rounds still in the mag.
    #4 : Lightly contour the bottom of the feed ramp so it doesn't touch the magazine follower if you have a problem with broken followers.
    #5 : Make sure the slide stop spring is in the correct position before pushing the pin back home on re-assembly after take down. This spring is easily screwed up and it's easy to screw up the polymer frame if you're ham handed in replacing it.
    Last edited by JodyH; 09-21-2019 at 09:15 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Pocket carried a spare mag in a DeSantis Mag-Packer for years with no problem.
    Loose mag in my pocket or in my range bag will turn into a Pez dispenser.

On the 9mm mags make sure when you seat the last round in the mag you feel the "click", this minimizes the Pez effect somewhat.
    I don't really know what the "click" is, but I do know it when I feel it while loading.

For PM9's there's five things to do for reliability.
    #1 : Read the damn manual. Use the slide stop to feed the first round. Slingshotting the slide is iffy.
    #2 : Install a Wolff XP 20.5# recoil spring (replace every 1000 rounds), increases slingshot reliability and increases all around reliability. Note, I only replace the outer spring regularly, never touched the inner spring.
    #3 : Make sure your bullet nose profile doesn't bump the slide stop, very lightly file the stop or change bullet styles to remedy if you lock open with rounds still in the mag.
    #4 : Lightly contour the bottom of the feed ramp so it doesn't touch the magazine follower if you have a problem with broken followers.
    #5 : Make sure the slide stop spring is in the correct position before pushing the pin back home on re-assembly after take down. This spring is easily screwed up and it's easy to screw up the polymer frame if you're ham handed in replacing it.
    #6: stick with the six round magazines.

Lakeline LLC makes metal followers that solved the issue for me. In 2017 Kahr redesigned their plastic followers to be like the Lakeline ones, but I have not personally tried them. I haven't heard of new owners having problems though.

My early stainless K9 was picky about its ammo, though it was 100% with Federal 9BPLE, so life was good, until my source for 9BPLE dried-up. When I decided that the only auto-pistols I would keep would be 1911, I sold or traded the K9. I later relaxed my all-1911 standard, and have been contemplating re-acquiring a K9, especially now that my “primary” carry side is shifting lefty.

I do, indeed, recall being annoyed by the top round being spit out of the spare mags, but do not remember if that affected my decision to sell my K9.

My wife’s early K9, an unusual variant or model with the frame having the contours of a special run that may have been called the “Lady Kahr,” or something like that, but the weapon not being so marked, seems to like all 9mm ammo. This is a factor in my contemplating re-acquiring a K9.
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-22-2019 at 10:13 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    So were the early ones more finicky with ammo? Or is it just kinda luck of the draw.

I might pick one up later this year. Probably buy a new one—at least I’m covered if there are any issues. Unfortunately, it’s just not a gun you find for rent at most ranges.

User Tag List