Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old School K9 Still Shoots

Old School K9 Still Shoots

One of the better groups I have fired. This K9 hate 124grain Gold Dots, but as you can see it loves Blazer Brass 115 grainers.

Obviously the blazer FMJ is a practice round, so I need to find a comparable round in a SD loading. I have a CW9 that loves the 124 GDs. Now to find one SD ammo they both like.

The K9 is a second year production firearm.

I normally post in revolvers, but the Kahr system just works for me.

I'm a big fan of the Kahr trigger for pocket carry and AIWB.
    Very shootable triggers if you've ever done much revolver training.
    I wish someone would come out with a nice set of thin G10 grips for the K9 and MK9.

I've won several bets shooting micro Kahrs at distance. Amazingly accurate little guns if you have a smooth trigger press.
    Last edited by JodyH; 09-19-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    The K9 has been on my radar lately. I'm mainly a DA/SA fan, but I appreciate a smooth and consistent DA pull. Thinking a Kahr could work for me--sometimes I just want something a bit thinner than my P239. And I don't generally love run-of-the-mill SFA triggers. (I realize Kahrs are technically SFA... but I get the impression they're kind of their own thing.)

One question...

I remember a few years back, Kahr offered a "Standard" (NYPD?) trigger and an "Elite" trigger in the K9. Is that still a thing? Or do all Kahrs have "Elite" triggers now? I ask because I think I'd want the most "double-action-y" feeling trigger I could get. My worry is that the Elite would be lighter than I'd want it to be.

The Kahr NYPD was a mandated 10-12 pouns trigger, they do the same thing to the Glocks.

I've owned 6 Kahrs. A CW45,CM45, CW40, CW9,CM9, and the K9. Oops I forgot I had a K40 for a short while.

Still own and shoot the 45s, a CW9, and the K9. None of them are slouches in the accuracy department. The K9 is the tightest shooter followed by the CW45 and then the CW9.

All the triggers are very smooth and range between 5 and 6 pounds. As Jody remarked: they are a great square gun for old revolver shooters.

The CW 9 is limited in sights but it is nice to carry if you're going to be on your feet all day. Didn't care for either of the 40 cal Kahrs.

Considering a P45.
    Last edited by Zeke38; 09-19-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    The Kahr NYPD was a mandated 10-12 pouns trigger, they do the same thing to the Glocks.

I've owned 6 Kahrs. A CW45,CM45, CW40, CW9,CM9, and the K9. Oops I forgot I had a K40 for a short while.

Still own and shoot the 45s, a CW9, and the K9. None of them are slouches in the accuracy department. The K9 is the tightest shooter followed by the CW45 and then the CW9.

All the triggers are very smooth and range between 5 and 6 pounds. As Jody remarked: they are a great square gun for old revolver shooters.

The CW 9 is limited in sights but it is nice to carry if you're going to be on your feet all day. Didn't care for either of the 40 cal Kahrs.

Considering a P45.
    Yeah, I can see your K9 will definitely get the job done. Nice shooting.

I think I read that Kahr never actually acquiesced to the NYPD's request for a 12lb trigger? Not 100% sure though.

But 5 - 6 lbs seems in line with what I've read. If it has a long enough draw, I suppose I could live with that. I dry fired a Kahr once at a gun show, a long time ago. But that didn't really leave much of an impression, one way or another. The K9 and T9 have always caught my eye--and the design always seemed cool, from a mechanical perspective. Just always seemed to gravitate to more "mainstream" offerings.

I expected...something different in this thread...

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  101.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post

One of the better groups I have fired. This K9 hate 124grain Gold Dots, but as you can see it loves Blazer Brass 115 grainers.

Obviously the blazer FMJ is a practice round, so I need to find a comparable round in a SD loading. I have a CW9 that loves the 124 GDs. Now to find one SD ammo they both like.

The K9 is a second year production firearm.

I normally post in revolvers, but the Kahr system just works for me.

I think a lot of it might also have to do with the shooter.... nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    The K9 has been on my radar lately. I'm mainly a DA/SA fan, but I appreciate a smooth and consistent DA pull. Thinking a Kahr could work for me--sometimes I just want something a bit thinner than my P239. And I don't generally love run-of-the-mill SFA triggers. (I realize Kahrs are technically SFA... but I get the impression they're kind of their own thing.)

One question...

I remember a few years back, Kahr offered a "Standard" (NYPD?) trigger and an "Elite" trigger in the K9. Is that still a thing? Or do all Kahrs have "Elite" triggers now? I ask because I think I'd want the most "double-action-y" feeling trigger I could get. My worry is that the Elite would be lighter than I'd want it to be.
    Find a local range where you can rent them, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I'm a DA/SA guy and would feel totally comfortable with a Kahr trigger, including AIWB.

The K9 I shot was the easiest gun to shoot well I have ever tried in that size class. Of course, it was also the heaviest gun I have ever tried in that size class. The trigger for me was the ideal balance between shootability and safety for a pocket pistol.

Reading about their hit or miss reliability plus the lack of sight options has kept me with a G43 so far. I'm really hoping the Naroh N1 provides a Kahr like trigger while solving those other issues.
    Last edited by TicTacticalTimmy; 09-19-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Find a local range where you can rent them, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I'm a DA/SA guy and would feel totally comfortable with a Kahr trigger, including AIWB.

The K9 I shot was the easiest gun to shoot well I have ever tried in that size class. Of course, it was also the heaviest gun I have ever tried in that size class. The trigger for me was the ideal balance between shootability and safety for a pocket pistol.

Reading about their hit or miss reliability plus the lack of sight options has kept me with a G43 so far. I'm really hoping the Naroh N1 provides a Kahr like trigger while solving those other issues.
    Cool. I appreciate the input. I’m kinda approaching it from a similar perspective, so your insight makes sense.

With respect to reliability... I get the sense that the P380 is more or less a train wreck and people have occasional issues with other models. But I’m hard pressed to find negative reports (forums, Youtube, etc) on the K9. I guess since it’s the OG of the lineup.

And by “OG” I mean... “Original Gun.”
    Last edited by MattyD380; 09-19-2019 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Cool. I appreciate the input. I’m kinda approaching it from a similar perspective, so your insight makes sense.

With respect to reliability... I get the sense that the P380 is more or less a train wreck and people have occasional issues with other models. But I’m hard pressed to negative reports (forums, Youtube, etc) on the K9. I guess since it’s the OG of the lineup.
    Yeah plus it is quite a bit more expensive so they probably do a few more QC steps. Lots of good deals for used K9s on Armslist.

User Tag List