Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best budget Ar15?

delete
    Last edited by Isaac; 09-19-2019 at 04:04 PM. Reason: just saw there is already a Colt thread in General

I'd check out the Armalite DEF-15F for something with a low to mid $500 street price. Armalite can build a legit rifle when they want to and it appears they are doing so with this model.

Having the opportunity to spend time at the defense manufacturers training at their facilities, I was very impressed with the way that FN (Fabrique Nationale) as well as Knight's Armament ran their organizations.

I would always recommend Colt, (or FN which we are getting to)but in light of recent event's they are off the table for a "inexpensive" or baseline quality AR. That holds true for Knight's Armament as well, since they have solid products but their prices are certainly at the far end of this discussion.

Colt and FN have been producing M4/M16 series rifles/carbines for our armed forces for decades, as well as other weapons and they do it very well to say the least.

FN was/is a thoroughly modern facility. I was there multiple times and was very impressed by the way everything was run. A Colt or FN M4/AR15 is about the only brand of AR that I would not hesitate to grab off a rack, load and go into a fight.

The FN15 carbine is essentially a 6920 and one would be pretty hard pressed to tell the difference. I just found this one on Gunbroker for $800, and for what you get, that is a very solid deal.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/833295555

The general public may not recognize the FN brand as much as soldiers do, but rest assured, they build solid products.

Build your house on a solid foundation.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I would (and do) feel good with a vetted S&W M&P15.

For what it’s worth - the Cheyenne Wyoming Police Department issue the M&P Sport II.

I don’t own one but Sionics has a great rep. I have almost hit the buy button a few times on the gutless lower.

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/stor...ifle-zero.html

The local sheriff’s office issues the M&P Sport to their deputies. We have a mix of Bushmaster and M&P 15s, plus a Colt SBR or two. The only ones I’ve needed to work on are the Bushmasters. This morning I sent a PO for a couple DD SBRs and some M&P 15s to replace the Bushmasters that mostly date back to the 2001 or so time frame

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I would (and do) feel good with a vetted S&W M&P15.

For what it’s worth - the Cheyenne Wyoming Police Department issue the M&P Sport II.
    Not a ding on Cheyenne but I’ve seen a lot of local PDs issue shitty, ARs without any real testing or consideration.

M&P15 does not automatically equal M&P15 Sport. In fairness to S&W their LE reps do try and steer depts to the M&P rifles vs the Sports. There are differences and S&W’s reps know there are actual reasons why the Sport is cheaper.

The Sport II does seem to be the best of the budget AR’s but that does not mean it’s suitable for LE duty use.

Even Depts that put some real effort into handgun selection will buy ARs strictly on price, brand loyalty, what the deputy chief likes (I.e. my deer rifle is a Ruger so the AR556 is the best AR) these are often the same depts running them as “pool rifles” because that what they did with the shotguns they replaced. I mean even the .MIL zeros rifles ......

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not a ding on Cheyenne but I’ve seen a lot of local PDs issue shitty, ARs without any real testing or consideration.

M&P15 does not automatically equal M&P15 Sport. In fairness to S&W their LE reps do try and steer depts to the M&P rifles vs the Sports. There are differences and S&W’s reps know there are actual reasons why the Sport is cheaper.

The Sport II does seem to be the best of the budget AR’s but that does not mean it’s suitable for LE duty use.

Agreed. My counterpart at the SO has upper management above him with the bean counter mentality. I had a chief that understood the need for quality.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    I'd check out the Armalite DEF-15F for something with a low to mid $500 street price. Armalite can build a legit rifle when they want to and it appears they are doing so with this model.
    Do you have any personal experience with the Def-15 ?

My experience with Armalite has been their premium rifles are decent but their prior budget brand, Eagle Arms looked nice but didn’t run worth a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Do you have any personal experience with the Def-15 ?

My experience with Armalite has been their premium rifles are decent but their prior budget brand, Eagle Arms looked nice but didn’t run worth a damn.
    Yes, I provided a few to family members. DEF-15F's are want-to-be 6920's and don't fall under the Eagle Arms line. Armalite is batch testing components and the only thing they screwed the pooch on is staking the receiver extension castle nut which is an easy fix. Certainly a larger sample size would be better however, we put 1800 rounds through two guns in two days without issue. Armalite can build a solid rifle when they want to and it appears they are doing so with these. If someone is working on a limited budget these are worth a look.

User Tag List