Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best budget Ar15?

If it were handguns instead of rifles that we were discussing, would you want to put a few Taurus or Keltecs away or one Glock/Sig/HK?

I'd buy one Colt, Daniel Defense, or BCM then stack a few stripped lowers away.

Yeah I’m with most of the others here. Realistically, parts availability and prices will go up and down but the lower is really the only part that anyone will ever be able to control. Even then, it’d be unlikely in most states IMO. There’s just too damn many of them out there. So that being said, one good one and a few stripped lowers is a solid move to play. I have a PSA that’s worked great for almost 1k rounds, but it just doesn’t give me the piece of mind that I’d want if it were my only rifle. Get a BCM right now and then stockpile a few Aero stripped lowers and you’ll be covered. The used market is still pretty soft. If you keep an eye on ARFCOM’s EE, there are some decent deals to be had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Def seeing the trend in your replies, thanks guys.

When getting the lower, is it beneficial to get the receiver with it? For a better fit maybe? With Trigger guard or without?
    Last edited by Isaac; 09-19-2019 at 08:21 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Looking to pick up a few value based AR15s.

Seems that the S&W Sport II and PSA (Palmetto State Armory) get recommended often.. what are you guys' thoughts?
    The Sport II will meet the requirements for the vast majority of casual users. Quite accurate, good QC, and a casual user is unlikely to wear it out. Yes, there are better out there. Just ask yourself if they are better in any way that applies to what you want to do.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Just one sample but I was in a class recently with a guy running a sport 2 and his castle nut was not staked, so if you get one you would want to check that and get it staked if it is not.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post
    Just one sample but I was in a class recently with a guy running a sport 2 and his castle nut was not staked, so if you get one you would want to check that and get it staked if it is not.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    There is a reason S&W offers two different grades / lines of ARs, the Sport and the M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    When getting the lower, is it beneficial to get the receiver with it? For a better fit maybe? With Trigger guard or without?
    It might be a good idea to get an upper and lower from the same manufacturer, but these things really are mass produced items that as long as there are no errors are what they are.

As far as the trigger guard, some of them are integral, but it is an inexpensive piece that there are many options out there. One advantage of buying on with an integral trigger guard is that you will not have to install a trigger guard. The little tabs are supposed to be pretty fragile and the simple ones require you to drive a roll pin through the fragile tabs.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The Sport II will meet the requirements for the vast majority of casual users. Quite accurate, good QC, and a casual user is unlikely to wear it out. Yes, there are better out there. Just ask yourself if they are better in any way that applies to what you want to do.
    I'll second this.

A long time ago there was a serious delta between the lower end of the market and the standard of the Colt. The market has improved dramatically and there are manufacturers at the low end making guns that are far superior to what they used to be. If I had to bet my life on a gun right out of the box, it would be a Colt 6920.

If I wanted to buy a gun that I could just put an optic on and never really fiddle with apart from maybe changing some furniture, it would be a Colt 6920.

If, however, you're looking for a gun that is less expensive but still has good manufacturer support then the S&W Sport guns are an excellent option.

And while it's easy to piss on PSA because of their price point, they have done a whole lot to improve their product line. I wanted to screw around with the AR pistol concept so on a lark I bought a PSA pistol setup with one of their nitrided barrel uppers. I put a nitrided Brownell's bolt carrier group in it and to my pleasant surprise the gun runs and shoots pretty accurately, too.

I'm a lot less inclined to dismiss the lower end stuff than I was some years ago, especially after watching multiple samples of M&P Sport guns with cheap variable power optics on them run extremely well in class and have no problem hitting reduced sized silhouette targets 300 yards away with ease.

If you go with something on the lower end just be prepared to deal with some QC issues.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 09-19-2019 at 02:49 PM.
    3/15/2016

In recently bought a Palmetto upper and assembled lower. They required tightening and staking, but so far I’m very impressed with the quality relative to the price.

But, I would choose BCM if you want an out of the box gun you can trust.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I wanted to screw around with the AR pistol concept so on a lark I bought a PSA pistol setup with one of their nitrided barrel uppers.
    Me2, and I can say if there was not an option like PSA I would not be screwing around with the AR pistol idea.

User Tag List