Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best budget Ar15?

Best budget Ar15?

Looking to pick up a few value based AR15s.

Seems that the S&W Sport II and PSA (Palmetto State Armory) get recommended often.. what are you guys' thoughts?

If budget is a concern and you’re doing this (I’m assuming) in case of a future ban, why not just by the lowers and buy quality uppers later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like PSA for range stuff and trying out configurations I haven't tried before but I don't think I'd want to trust my life to one.

I had a Sport II for a short time that I bought after reading good things about them here. It seemed like it was a decent option if you can find them on sale for $500 or less and probably the only one I'd want for that price. I've seen Aero Precision rifles on sale for less than $650, I would feel a lot better about one of those.

Midwest Distributors had used LE M&P15 lowers with Magpul furniture for $155 each. I got lucky and someone here was selling a barely used BCM upper with BCG for $450 so that's $605 for a pretty solid carbine.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Aero Precision makes very reasonably priced rifles. Good value for the money IMO.

I like DSG, too. Really good value, especially if you buy the assembled uppers.

Budget is a very subjective term. One man's budget is a non CHF barrwl BCM with an eotech. Another's might be a second hand Core-15 or something a buddy assembled. Even assuming you mean factory assembled new rifles, It kind of depends on the price range.

Personally I try not to let budget dictate defensive weapons too much. That said I have to plan purchases a year - year and a half in advance because of it.

-Cory

Thanks for the replies,

Wasn’t aware of Aero Precision, glad I asked. They look closer to Colt prices.. which I have been unable to find any new ones online..

PSA rifles come with everything you need minus the quality control and engineering.

If you want a rifle that isn't going to break or need constant fixing you need to spend at least $900 - $1k. Only companies I recommend anymore for a good rifle in that range is Bravo Company or Colt.
    Owner Rockey Brass
    www.rockeybrass.com
    Reloading supplies and firearms parts

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Looking to pick up a few value based AR15s.

Seems that the S&W Sport II and PSA (Palmetto State Armory) get recommended often.. what are you guys' thoughts?
    What is your intended purpose for these rifles ? Why a few ?

For the cost of a few budget AR’s you can get a good AR and equip it with enablers like lights, optics, sling etc.

I’ve always applied the 2-3 duplicates to my carried pistols, just felt it made sense to apply it here too.

Figured I’d just put em in the safe and forget about them. Have them available to my grown children one day.

I’ve never really been interested in the MSR platform, and as blasphemous as it is to say on PF, I doubt I’d ever take an semi rifle class.

But lately I just feel like it’s time to own one, seems almost like a duty. Due in large part to the political climate I’m sure.

I could swing getting a single nice one now, and worry about the duplicate down the road. My thinking was more twds checking the box and forgetting about it in the OP.

My personal experience is that one good example beats multiple low cost examples.

Inevitably, one winds up getting that good example, because the cheap one just doesn't hold up as well.

YMMV
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List