Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeling safe with pistols that just have trigger safeties and not slide safeties.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    At least it has a grip safety to deal with that fully cocked striker
    If you didn't know (and I don't know why you would because nobody here gives a crap about XD's) you can get the 4" .45 with a thumb safety.

TBH I briefly owned a no-thumb-safety 4" .45 XDm and really liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Just curious of advice there is to be given about overcoming being uncomfortable with a gun that only relies on a trigger safety.

I’ve just never cared for them. Nothing against Glocks really, I just never was interested in one because of all the horror stories that usually come with these types of pistols. The only pistol I have in my arsenal that is even close to one of these is my little EDC Ruger LC9S that has a safety. At one point before I bought it, I even considered the “Pro” version of this pistol but, wasn’t happy with the lack of a slide safety on it so that’s why I bought what I bought.

Just curious if there’s anyway to overcome that.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My two cents worth of advice. What features do you want on a pistol? It sounds like a thumb safety is high on that feature list. What caliber? Size?.....full-size, compact, or subcompact. When and how will it be carried? My point simply is buy a firearm you are comfortable with. Then practice shooting, reloading, and holstering that firearm. When you practice holstering, use an unloaded firearm. As people, we all make mistakes and that includes handling a firearm. I see a thumb safety as a layer of safety in case we do make a mistake when using a firearm. And the use of a thumb safety is not an excuse for sloppy gun handling. It is great seeking input from others, but ultimately it is you decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    If you didn't know (and I don't know why you would because nobody here gives a crap about XD's) you can get the 4" .45 with a thumb safety.

TBH I briefly owned a no-thumb-safety 4" .45 XDm and really liked it.
    I was trying to be funny.. hence the roll eyes emoji. Anyhoo.. I have a .40XDm that I left to go to the Glock 19. Not because I had a single issue, just because it was too big and I couldn't handle the "uncool" factor. It did make it through 10K rounds with no issue and three RedBack One classes (much to Jason's chagrin), one Frank Proctor class, and 2000+ rounds without being cleaned. And I own an XD-S .45ACP that my wife bought me for my 45th birthday (so I have to keep it) it's heavy for what it is and not any more comfortable to carry than my G19.. Both the Springfield products are my "office" guns at work.

Now back to my rainy day whining....

? Sorry if what I said appears to have rubbed you the wrong way but you’re knit-picking over a word.
    Nit picking.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    My two cents worth of advice. What features do you want on a pistol? It sounds like a thumb safety is high on that feature list. What caliber? Size?.....full-size, compact, or subcompact. When and how will it be carried? My point simply is buy a firearm you are comfortable with. Then practice shooting, reloading, and holstering that firearm. When you practice holstering, use an unloaded firearm. As people, we all make mistakes and that includes handling a firearm. I see a thumb safety as a layer of safety in case we do make a mistake when using a firearm. And the use of a thumb safety is not an excuse for sloppy gun handling. It is great seeking input from others, but ultimately it is you decision.
    Actually, if a Beretta Storm PX4 SC converted to a type G in either 40 or 9mm doesn’t work out due to its thickness and it’s almost the same weight as it’s bigger brothers, probably a single stack hammer fired pistol that’s either like the storms, or I guess maybe even a revolver, I don’t know. I prefer a semi because of the round capacity but I guess primarily something without a slide mounted safety but not only a..... “trigger safety”....

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    I do, yes.

It's like carrying on with an ugly girl. It's not wrong but...maybe don't tell everybody, and you could probably do better.
    My mom had a really nice full-size Springfield XD in 45 that she got for cheap but she ended up selling it because it was just too much for her to shoot and rack the slide.

Funny thing is- years later when I bought my Beretta Storm 45, it shoots way better than that Springfield ever dreamed of shooting. Maybe it’s their revolving barrel that accounts for that.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    One of ToddG's first posts on pistol-training.com...still relevant.

Actions in action
    25-Sep-07 – 09:33 by ToddG

One day a hundred or so years ago, a man built the first semiautomatic pistol. It was an ingenious thing, a gun that could load itself and fire many rounds from a single magazine. He made it so that one could have a short and light trigger which makes it easy to hit what one aims at.

Then someone said, whoa brother, something might touch the trigger when it’s not supposed to and fire the gun accidentally, for I cannot be bothered to learn the manual of arms. So the manual safety was created, so that there was a way to prevent one from using the short and light trigger except when absolutely intended.

Then someone said, whoa brother, sometimes I forget to take the safety off and I cannot fire my gun, for I cannot be bothered to learn the manual of arms. So the double action pistol was created, so that one could fire one’s pistol without dealing with a pesky safety while still having a reasonably hard time of making loud noises unintentionally.

Then someone said, whoa brother, it is hard to learn two different trigger pulls and often I forget to decock my pistol before holstering, for I cannot be bothered to learn the manual of arms. So the double action only was created, so that one could enjoy the safety of a long heavy trigger pull every time and thus avoid ventilating one’s own leg.

Then someone said, whoa brother, your trigger pull is too long and too heavy and I cannot hit anything I shoot at, for I cannot be bothered to learn the manual of arms. So the striker-fired pistol was created, so that one could have a short and light trigger which makes it easy to hit what one aims at.

Then someone said, whoa brother, something might touch the trigger when it’s not supposed to and fire the gun accidentally …

I've owned, carried, trained with, and competed with SAO, TDA, and SFA firearms. They're all good. They're all bad. I have developed some preferences over the years, but ultimately I am comfortable and proficient with all of these action types. Learning the nuances is part of the journey.
    Thanks for that. I always love rereading old TLG. Good for the soul.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Nit picking.
    Yeah, that...

Gotta love Siri and her auto correct.

Actually, if a Beretta Storm PX4 SC converted to a type G in either 40 or 9mm doesn’t work out due to its thickness and it’s almost the same weight as it’s bigger brothers, probably a single stack hammer fired pistol that’s either like the storms, or I guess maybe even a revolver, I don’t know. I prefer a semi because of the round capacity but I guess primarily something without a slide mounted safety but not only a..... “trigger safety”....

DAO pistols (like the discontinued Beretta 92D) or their cousins such as the HK LEM have much to recommend for them as far as safety is concerned. There is, however, a performance trade off. Whether or not the juice is worth the squeeze can only be determined by the operator.

Since you are a PX4 fan, perhaps you should consider a PX4 Type C.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Don't get comfortable

Just curious of advice there is to be given about overcoming being uncomfortable with a gun that only relies on a trigger safety.

I’ve just never cared for them. Nothing against Glocks really, I just never was interested in one because of all the horror stories that usually come with these types of pistols. The only pistol I have in my arsenal that is even close to one of these is my little EDC Ruger LC9S that has a safety. At one point before I bought it, I even considered the “Pro” version of this pistol but, wasn’t happy with the lack of a slide safety on it so that’s why I bought what I bought.

Just curious if there’s anyway to overcome that.

Thanks.

Best NOT get comfortable with a striker with no safety.
    The little tit on the Glock trigger does nothing. Accidentally pull the trigger and the tit goes with it. Their marketing hype reads like the little tit prevents the pistol from firing itself!

I own an HK Vp9, which I much prefer to the Glock, but they both have the "tit" and I'll NEVER feel "comfortable" with either.

I prefer my P30 with the safety. I can load, unload and rack the slide with the safety on, then snap the safety off after holstering for carry. At that point it is as "safe" as a holstered double action revolver.

Carrying a striker-fire w/o a safety is like handling and carrying a 1911 loaded, hammer back and safety off.

User Tag List