Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you unload?

Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    -Drop the mag
    -Rack, rack, rack
    -Lock the slide back
    -Visual chamber check
    -Physical chamber check

I let the round hit the ground. I see no need to try and catch it or take attention away from what I should be focused on.
    THIS.

Never cover the ejection port to catch the round. We've all probably done it at some point but it's a BAAAAAAD idea. Even if you eject the round slowly and lock the slide to the rear there is the off chance you could accidentally let the slide go or it could slip from your grip and slam the round in the ejection port causing a BANG. I saw a picture once of someone who did this and blew a nasty hole in his hand.

Safe direction, trigger finger high and straight, and lock the slide to the rear. Remove magazine. Visual and tactile chamber check.
    In one step, the gun is "out-of-action" to guard against the brain-dead syndrome---i.e. Mr. DEA man..

Open cylinder
    Press ejector
    Let rounds fall onto soft surface
    Visually check all chambers
    Verify number of loose rounds = number of chambers
    Visually check chambers again
    Close cylinder

Yeah, I just had to be different.

I'm one of the "catch the round in the air" guys, actually. The big fault of this approach is that people who haven't practiced doing it don't know when to just let the round go. Sometimes you botch the catch, and a newbie may try and grab it when they should really let it go.

If you want to show off and do the round catch, I practiced it in dry fire. Not intentionally, I just got tired of picking up my snap caps off the ground when I changed drills, so in the process of practicing, I learned how to be a big ol' showoff.

Besides, a little flash is fun.

I might derail my own thread here, I think the original topic is probably a little to simple too start any real discussion - what about reholstering?

I always bring the gun in to a high-ready, check my ass, deal with safeties (if applicable), exhale and put my thumb on the hammer, then look down and get a visual confirmation that my finger is indeed off the trigger.

I like having a cue (exhaling), tactile and visual feedback with something so simple. It is very easy to get complacent.

It might be excessive, but I had a cousin who put a round into the ground about a half-inch away from his foot, in my 'formative' years of shooting. Pretty much scared me straight.
    --
    Stay Safe,
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D. View Post
    I might derail my own thread here, I think the original topic is probably a little to simple too start any real discussion - what about reholstering?

I always bring the gun in to a high-ready, check my ass, deal with safeties (if applicable), exhale and put my thumb on the hammer, then look down and get a visual confirmation that my finger is indeed off the trigger.

I like having a cue (exhaling), tactile and visual feedback with something so simple. It is very easy to get complacent.
    In the AFHF class Todd called this concept a "hard break", always stopping before re-holstering to make sure you don't do anything unsafe ... especially if you are in a rush.

We are diminished
    The "hard break" actually originated decades ago at Gunsite after a number of students shot themselves while reholstering. I actually re-learned it from Tom Givens and SLG.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Into a berm, till slidelock
    Well played, YVK.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    In the AFHF class Todd called this concept a "hard break", always stopping before re-holstering to make sure you don't do anything unsafe ... especially if you are in a rush.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The "hard break" actually originated decades ago at Gunsite after a number of students shot themselves while reholstering. I actually re-learned it from Tom Givens and SLG.
    Obviously a case of Great minds think alike...small minds seldom differ .

In anycase, I like the concept - would you mind sharing your procedure, even though I think its posted somewhere in the AIWB thread?
    --
    Stay Safe,
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D. View Post
    In anycase, I like the concept - would you mind sharing your procedure, even though I think its posted somewhere in the AIWB thread?
    I realize you were asking Todd and not me but I'll respond anyway.

The "hard break" as I understand it is simply any act that stops your direct route to the holster after engaging.

For most a visual scan of your surroundings (searching for add'l threats) while at a ready or retention position is enough of a "hard break" to do the job. Most of us do (or should) be doing this already.

EDIT: Timely topic found here .... guy went BANG while trying to unload with his hand over ejection port.
    http://www.firearmstrainingandtactic...ead.php?t=1391
    Last edited by VolGrad; 03-14-2011 at 12:48 PM.

User Tag List