Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you unload?

How do you unload?

I don't think this is addressed often, maybe because its obvious, but how do you guys do it?

I've always been taught to point in a safe direction (into a sand-barrel, preferably), dump the mag, rack the slide and watch the round hit the deck. Then check for clear.

I guess the other common variation is dumping the mag, then racking the slide with your palm over the ejection-port, capturing the round. Or racking in a fashion that results in the round flying out, then catching it.

Comments, thoughts?
    --
    Stay Safe,
    Frank

Safe Direction

Drop Mag

Rack slide & allow chambered round to eject

I have in the past racked the slide with my support hand over the ejection port to catch the round, but that is a bad idea.

It's possible that during this process that the primer could come into contact with the ejector, resulting in an unplanned loud noise and unpleasant sensation in the support hand.

Trying to catch the ejected cartridge in mid air is pure showmanship, and IMHO not advised.

Just my 2 kopeks.

Echos my thoughts.
    --
    Stay Safe,
    Frank

Into a berm, till slidelock

I let the round hit the ground. At one of the IDPA clubs I shoot it, there's a rule that all rounds hit the ground. Covering the ejection port is dangerous for the reason explained above, and catching in midair can lead to less than perfect muzzle awareness.

I eject slowly into my hand. It may sound stupid but carry ammo is so hard to come buy here I don't want to damage a round any more than necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I eject slowly into my hand. It may sound stupid but carry ammo is so hard to come buy here I don't want to damage a round any more than necessary.
    Same logic here. On the range I eject onto the ground

I cover the ejection port to catch the round, but when doing so I lock the slide to the rear.

Jay
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

I create a cup for the round with my hand for it to fall into while racking and locking it. I can understand the ejector boom if you are catching it too soon, but the way I do it, the round has completely left the gun before it even hits my hand.

-Drop the mag

-Rack, rack, rack

-Lock the slide back

-Visual chamber check

-Physical chamber check

I let the round hit the ground. I see no need to try and catch it or take attention away from what I should be focused on.

User Tag List