Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYPD shooting, officer shot and injured, suspect shot and killed.

NYPD shooting, officer shot and injured, suspect shot and killed.

Be safe out there. Neighborhood mob confronts NYPD officers after the incident.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/17/female...staten-island/

That piece of human garbage had no business being out on the street. Kudos to NYPD for prevailing.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Two interesting points:

1. The perp fired two rounds and the gun had what sounds like a failure to eject: from the original story linked: "After shrugging off a Taser shock, Gregory Edwards squeezed off two shots at officers around 8:45 a.m. on Prince Street in Clifton — and apparently only stopped firing because a spent shell jammed his gun, cops said.

2. From a follow-up story, it seems that the gun was a Sig stolen from the car of a NY Police officer in 2016: https://nypost.com/2019/09/18/gun-us...ce-issued-gun/:

"Gunman Gregory Edwards, 39 — a domestic violence suspect who was killed in the gunfire — fired two shots from a 9 mm Sig Sauer with a serial number matching a gun issued to a Staten Island police supervisor who reported it stolen from his vehicle in 2016, according to the police source.

“It didn’t look like a criminal’s gun,” the source said. ”That raised [cops’] eyebrows right away. It did look like a typical member of service gun.”

It was unclear whether the weapon was stolen from a police car or a personal vehicle."

I can hear Chuck H. grumbling now, and rightly so. For what it is worth, when I lived in NYC and had a pistol permit in the 1980s, you were strictly forbidden from leaving a handgun unattended in a car. I imagine the same held true for Police Officers.

Having said all of this, articles have been known to get facts wrong.

One of the handgun choices of the NYPD is a Sig P226 set for D/A only in 9mm. Below is a picture from the article which is supposed to be the gun in question:

On the subject of "car guns".

The local Chief of Police literally begged citizens to quit leaving guns in unlocked cars. The problem is so widespread I got a call from a detective once; he was working a case about a Glock I used to own and sold years back. The last owner reported it stolen from his car,thus the call.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 09-18-2019 at 11:14 PM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

As previously stated in this thread, why was this career criminal not in a confined setting for the rest of his life? Sounds like ADA's let him plead to some good skid-bids. There comes a time when an individual continuously shows violence in society, as this perp. had on many occasions, that they forfeit any privileges of living in this setting with the rest of us! Nothing is more troubling then watching these predators max-out knowing they will be harming the unsuspecting as soon is they hit the streets. Because of the recidivism rates with sex offenders a program was adopted that allowed for them to be examined by two behavioral health experts and if determined by both experts they posed a threat to society at completion of the court ordered sentence they could then be confined indefinitely in a psychiatric institution. It would be nice to see this program expanded to include repeat violent offenders, there comes a time when enough is enough.

I am not knocking the NYPD. Invariably the worst things make the paper rather than the thousands of competent things that the officers do every day.

If the story is to be believed, they caught a turnstyle jumper, forgot to frisk him and, failed to notice the Sig .45 Auto in the front of his waistband. My guess is that if this picture is real, it was taken when the cop pulled the perp's shirt up and noticed the relatively large pistol stuffed in his waistband.

From the article: https://nypost.com/2019/09/19/cops-o...ers-waistband/

"Cops brought an accused turnstile jumper all the way to a police station — and marched him in front of a desk sergeant — before realizing the man was packing a handgun in his waistband, The Post has learned."

Cops took him to Transit District 11 near Yankee Stadium but didn’t discover the .45-caliber Sig Sauer in his waistband until they got him in front of the station’s desk sergeant, according to a source and photo obtained by The Post.

The NYPD patrol guide states that a frisk should be conducted as soon as a person is taken into custody — with special attention given to the waistband."

And the picture:
    Last edited by Ed L; 09-19-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quite clearly a screw-up in the second case. I understand the reason for a cursory frisk if under threat, but clearly the pistol should have been found on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    There comes a time when an individual continuously shows violence in society, as this perp. had on many occasions, that they forfeit any privileges of living.
    Let's just put the period there.
    I don't think it will be soon, but it is coming. If we can get beyond the criminalization of gun owners, intemperate speakers, etc.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter

failure to search

Anytime there is more than one officer involved, there is the possibility of confusion. Sometimes you get confusion when there is only one officer involved . . .

"I thought you searched him."

"No, I thought YOU searched him."

"I only patted him down."

I have never missed a weapon but I missed $200 in cash a suspect had on him once, and several times missed baggies of dope I should have found. (If the guy hides the dope behind his sack, it's not likely I'm gonna find that out on the street)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    On the subject of "car guns".

The local Chief of Police literally begged citizens to quit leaving guns in unlocked cars. The problem is so widespread I got a call from a detective once; he was working a case about a Glock I used to own and sold years back. The last owner reported it stolen from his car,thus the call.
    How did they trace a Glock to you - thought there was no gun registration?

User Tag List