Thread: Ruger Service Six question

Ruger Service Six question

So, is a Ruger Service 6 grip frame closer to K or an N frame?
    Trigger reach?

Asking for a friend, of course.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

K frame 100%
    Last edited by SJC3081; 09-16-2019 at 07:46 PM.

Think of the Ruger Speed/Service/Six as being much like an L-Frame, with K/L grip size and trigger reach, with other frame and cylinder dimensions a bit larger than K-sized.

The open area behind the trigger guard is shallower than S&W revolvers, a bit of an integral “grip adapter.”
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Think of the Ruger Speed/Service/Six as being much like an L-Frame, with K/L grip size and trigger reach, with other frame and cylinder dimensions a bit larger than K-sized.

The open area behind the trigger guard is shallower than S&W revolvers, a bit of an integral “grip adapter.”
    Ahh, just what I'm wanting to hear.
    What would one call a Ruger/Colt combo? Cuger? Rolt?
    Asking for that same friend from earlier, who spends way too much time in the classified sub forum
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke

Student
    It was listed as a 'Couger' in the Arizona Shooting Forums when I'd first seen it a little over ten years ago.

Another bit of trivia: Security/Speed/Service Sixes use HKS speed loaders labeled “MK3-A,” which means the chamber pattern matches the Colt Trooper Mark III. I actually bought a nicely-preserved Trooper Mark III snubby, with the idea of it sharing speed loaders with my Security Six and Speed Six, but in actual practice, there were enough ergonomic differences that I decided to let the Colt go, and eventually acquired a 2.75” Speed Six. (Yes, now that I buy revolvers “just for fun,” no longer requiring that they earn their keep, I do wish I had kept the Mark III Trooper snub-gun!)

In actual practice, one can manage to speed-load a DA Ruger Six with at least some speed loaders intended for S&W revolvers, though it will not be as smooth as with the proper size/fit weapon. It has been so long since I tried, I have forgotten whether the Sixes are closer to K or L in chamber center pattern.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Trooper Mark III snubby ? Your'e killing me Smalls.
    And you traded it.
    Mark III snub is one of my grail's, but the price they fetch on GB could buy a new BCM carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Trooper Mark III snubby ? Your'e killing me Smalls.
    And you traded it.
    Mark III snub is one of my grail's, but the price they fetch on GB could buy a new BCM carbine.
    Once upon a time, very nice Mark III Troopers were relatively cheap; the unloved sixgun, known for being very strongly-built, but not for having smooth actions.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Ahh, just what I'm wanting to hear.
    What would one call a Ruger/Colt combo? Cuger? Rolt?
    Asking for that same friend from earlier, who spends way too much time in the classified sub forum
    The combo of a Ruger Security/Service Six frame and a Python barrel was commonly called a Cougar back in the 70s and 80s. Bill Davis' shop out of Sacremento was known for doing this custom build in addition to their bespoke PPC revolvers. The Davis Cougars were considered "duty-grade" for the day, and were popular with cops who worked for west coast agencies that allowed officers to carry whatever gun they wanted, so long as it was a .357 Magnum revolver.

My father, an LASD deputy, carried a 6 inch Cougar for his early years on the department, before they transitioned to the 92 series. He still has it, and it is one of the most accurate revolvers I've ever shot.

@jetfire, thanks for that ^^^. Good info right there.

User Tag List