Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wool Garments

Wool Garments

So having secured an abode that has a much more agreeable (read: cool) clime than my current arrangement, I set out to find apparel well-suited for the enjoyable and coolish temperatures that I anticipate partaking of in the coming months and years. Having spent my entire life on the gulf coast, I had to make some educated guesses as to what might work well for what I’m trying to accomplish. Recently, I got it in my head that some wool outerwear, specifically a hoodie, would be ideal for sipping coffee on the porch during cool mornings and for knocking around the house and woods on cooler days. I arrived at this conclusion, odd as this may seem, after using a heavy wool watch cap and wool neck tube thing from Varastuleka to sleep in on very cold hiking trips. This wool watch cap seems to regulate my temperature and thus comfort; never too warm nor too cold; as compared to a comparable weight fleece watch cap that seems to simply trap heat and moisture. I can say the same of fleece jackets I own. They absolutely trap heat, but sometimes are not the most comfortable things to wear after a while. Hard to describe, but the wool version just seems “better”.

So I started searching for wool hoodies. Hmph. I started with Varastuleka, but the items I would have entertained from there were either out of stock, or out of my price range, or a little over the top with regard to design. From there, I just started googling.

I ended up ordering the Powder Hoody from Duckworth out of Montana. I looked high and low for reviews/comments on this thing, but there was not a lot to go on. I found a couple of articles about some of their items, but most of those seemed to echo the pitch as posted on the Duckworth website. That is, to make much of their items being 100% made in the U.S. That is super, but how does the hoodie work? After eyeballing the sparce offerings from other outfits, I found things that were either double (or more) in price and/or just not what I was looking for in terms of style. (I wanted something I could wear to town without looking like a lost lumberjack or hermit.) Ultimately, I bit the bullet and ordered the Powder Hoody and held my breath.

Well, the hoody just arrived. What follows is strictly my first impression of this garment. It is pretty light in weight with what I would call a medium density weave (on the lighter side of medium I would say). It is not super thick, but it is a somewhat substantial layer. I hope it is heavy enough. As far as sizing, I trusted the Duckworth’s chart and went with XL. (Every Large I have bought ends up being too small, and generally, XXL sizes fit pretty sloppy, so that also pushed me to XL even aside from the sizing chart.). *Out of the package* I am super pleased with the fit / cut. It seems to fit just right. It is fitted, without being skinny cut, if that makes sense. Wife is concerned about shrinkage when washed, but as this will be used between a shirt, and frequently, a shell, I hope to minimize the washing and I will hand wash it when needed. Wife says that I look like I’m getting in touch with my inner-surfer. Cowabunga, or something... Also, with regard to the cut, the tail is longish without being stupid long - again, just right. This is going to be ideal with AIWB. Woot. One thing that is a little wonky of the size of the hood. It is.... roomy. Like UnaBomber plus, roomy. I guess with a ball cap or heavy winter hat on it will be okay, but it is deep and wide. Better that that too small I guess.

It will be a little while before I can really test drive this thing in some cool temps, but I am very much looking forward to doing so. If there appears to be any interest in this thread, I will post back with my findings. I would also like to hear any feedback that any of you have on Duckworth products. I am really interested to see if this fancy Montana merino wool lives up to the insulative billing on the website. I am also interested to see if this hoodie is durable over the long haul. For $150, it had better be.

Aside from wanting to put out some feedback on this hoodie, the other reason for starting this thread is to see if you guys have any recommendations with other wool products; and the concept of wool winter clothing generally. If the wool does the thermo-regulation thing that way I hope it does, there will be more woolen items added to the mix.

If you don't want to wash it as much, do like the denim folks do with their jeans: put it in a large ziploc or plastic bag and place it in the freezer overnight. Kills most of the bacteria and stink.

I don't know anything about Duckworth. I mostly don't like hoodies. Mostly.

I have some of these, worn on extended outings in bad weather and stupid cold. Also casually around town. I like them VERY much:
    https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/fleece/thor-14-zip/

For wool baselayers, check out:
    https://beyondclothing.com/collections/baselayers

Fit matters as well. Not too loose. Not too tight.

$150 is nothing, and you'll get what you pay for with only some limited exceptions.
    Last edited by ST911; 09-16-2019 at 09:48 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Carrying appendix, the rear sight is tough on wool garments, and I have the holes to prove it.

Duckworth is good, as is Icebeaker and Smartwool.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hammertime

Wool Garments

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Carrying appendix, the rear sight is tough on wool garments, and I have the holes to prove it.

Duckworth is good, as is Icebeaker and Smartwool.
    All good. I find myself grabbing the Ibex more than the above though. It just fits better.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 09-16-2019 at 11:17 PM.

My winter underwear is all merino wool, mostly Minus 33 because they do talls. Even though I'm not tall, I find most base layer tops too short in length and I like to tuck them in. I love merino wool because of its warmth and the fact that I can wear the same shirt hunting for a week and it won't hold the stink. I've thrown out poly pro long johns that you never could get the funk out of. I've been looking at Duckworth for an outer layer.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    All good. I find myself grabbing the Ibex more than the above though. It just fits better.
    I still have a bunch of Ibex wool garments, and they used to be my main go to wool choice. Unfortunately, they went out of business.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

you might give First Spear a look

Not much for hoodies either, but had the chance to spend some late spring in the Rockies this past May. Wanted a very lightweight, packable wool layer to put on as necessary. First Spear has a great line of non-mil' looking
    garments. It's cut sort of slim so as an outer garment-CCW layer it may not be best but I tend to use wool shirts from Pendleton or even Woolrich for such things. Used to use Filson but they're gone sort of hipster.

https://www.first-spear.com/hooded-field-shirt

Hammertime
    I still have a bunch of Ibex wool garments, and they used to be my main go to wool choice. Unfortunately, they went out of business.

Didn’t know that! What a major bummer.

According to https://www.ibex.com/ they’re back fall 2019, which pleases me.
    For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4 KJV

User Tag List