Thread: Gritty Trigger

Gritty Trigger

One of my Kimber Micro .380s has a fairly light trigger, though quite variable (about 2.9 to 4 pounds). That's OK, but it is also very gritty. Any suggestions to address the grittiness would be welcome.

Banned
    I'm fairly new to shooting and mostly have shot a Glock 19 Gen 5, a M&P 22 compact semi, and a old High Standard Double Nine revolver. I see the term "gritty trigger from time to time, but I don't know what that means. Is there any way you can explain to me what it means ? Seems like a very light trigger on your gun from the things I have read. I think my Glock 19 runs about 5.5 to maybe 6 from what I have read.

Light and gritty are two entirely different things.
    To exaggerate by way of illustration, it feels like it has sand in the action. This is usually caused by rough sears, rough edges of moving parts, etc.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    Light and gritty are two entirely different things.
    To exaggerate by way of illustration, it feels like it has sand in the action. This is usually caused by rough sears, rough edges of moving parts, etc.
    Yes, I understand they are two different things. Sand in the action, huh ? OK I guess I can kind of imagine what that means, but I don't think I have ever shot a gun that the trigger felt like that. So, I guess that's a good thing too.

Thanks
    Last edited by HJB; 09-16-2019 at 05:42 PM.

Gritty Trigger

The inconsistency combined with gritty trigger feel isn’t good. You need to get to the bottom of this before relying on this gun for real world purposes. A few possibilities:

Debris in the action
    Broken trigger return spring
    Broken pin
    Worn/galled sear surfaces
    Inoperable/intermittent sticking firing pin safety

If this were my gun, I would strip and clean it, and inspect it carefully. If all looks ok, lubricate, reassemble, and test. But, a trigger pull shouldn’t be unusually light. That’s sounding like a worn part.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-16-2019 at 06:01 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Cluster, I totally agree. The gun has never been fired, so it isn't worn parts, but the surfaces of the sear and hammer hooks do look rough to the eye.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    Cluster, I totally agree. The gun has never been fired, so it isn't worn parts, but the surfaces of the sear and hammer hooks do look rough to the eye.
    Typical Kimber.

I would just send it back to Kimber and let them clean up their own mess.

User Tag List