Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch Winder?

Site Supporter

Watch Winder?

Just got my 50th Anv Omega GMT back from the mothership after a full on reconditioning. I wear a number of watches such that I have to reset the Omega on a weekly basis. Perhaps I should just put it on a winder?

Thoughts?

Recommendations for such a device in the intersection of quality/value matrix.

Thank you all in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Just got my 50th Anv Omega GMT back from the mothership after a full on reconditioning. I wear a number of watches such that I have to reset the Omega on a weekly basis. Perhaps I should just put it on a winder?

Thoughts?

Recommendations for such a device in the intersection of quality/value matrix.

Thank you all in advance.
    Up until requiring the service my watch is in for now, I've been using a winder for my Seamaster for the past several years as I wear it infrequently.

I think they are a good investment...

Omega has a chart you can use as a go-by to let you know the recommended turns per day for your particular caliber.

ETA: Mine was purchased at our local jewelry shop a few years back. It's a nice looking wood / lacquer affair that matches our bedroom furniture, but it doesn't have the brand name on it.
    Last edited by blues; 09-16-2019 at 11:07 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Here's the link to the Omega site's recommendations for each caliber, and whether to set for clockwise, counter clockwise or both:

https://www.omegawatches.com/fileadm..._winder_EN.pdf

Site Supporter
    I have two automatic watches and keep them in a Versa two-watch winder that sits on my nightstand. I've had it for nearly 10 months. When it runs, it makes a low hum that barely rises above ambient noise at night and is practically inaudible during the daytime while in the same room.

I'd buy it again.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Blues-Thxs for the link, that is very helpful info should I go the winder route.

DB

I have two Orbita winders. Made in the US, completely programmable.

The glass front cracked in one during shipment, they were cool to work with when replacing.

I don't get winders (and I have a lot of automatic watches), additional wear on the drivetrain with no benefit is how I view them.
    I pick a watch, I wind, set and wear. Takes me all of 30 seconds at most and that's if I am syncing to atomic or setting a day/date.
    The only exception would be if I owned a grand complication watch like a perpetual calendar or something else that requires an elaborate set procedure.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I can definitely see both points of view. Considering that it took me 16 years to get around to the first service on the Seamaster, my small sample of one tells me that it's not that big a deal either way.

Btw, @blues, your Omega has a single barrel (like mine), so it's not recommended.

ETA: I, Like @JodyH, see no trouble in just hand winding a watch that has been sitting past its power reserve. it doesn't take long and it enables you to enjoy working with the watch you bought for, hopefully, your own pleasure.
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 09-16-2019 at 03:24 PM.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Thanks, WB. That's something I was not aware of.

User Tag List