Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carry guy at farmer's market in Northern VA

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    The "I'm the NRA and I vote!" t-shirt really completes the picture.
    Just educating the sheeple.

"Where next honey?"
    "I dunno, maybe Chiptole to hook up with gang, or Starbucks?"

Should have worn his ear and eye pro, just to show how he practices his range safety,
    You know, for educational purposes.

You know, I'm kind of starting to see where the anti's are coming from. Coming into a public space, with a large potential body count, with a fucking long arm, with your fucking hand on it.

Yeah, I'm starting to understand why an ever growing number of folks don't trust us.
    Yep, I can’t help but feel that way too. I don’t like thinking that expressing some of our rights might be causing us even more trouble from the gun haters but this doesn’t help our situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hes lucky that mother fucker wasnt shot.

Id be hauling ass and calling the cops if I saw that. That shit just doesnt happen in nova and people will literally freak the fuck out.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Hes lucky that mother fucker wasnt shot.

Id be hauling ass and calling the cops if I saw that. That shit just doesnt happen in nova and people will literally freak the fuck out.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Hell, I'm in Central South Dakota, rural as f*ck, and I would have activated the family egress plan. And called LE.
    I'm no shrinking violet, but carrying a long arm at me these day's does not make me smiley and warm.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Per the article it wasn't just one person but a group. That would cause less alarm I would think, but just as much "look at these idiots."

Open carry guy at farmer's market in Northern VA

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Per the article it wasn't just one person but a group. That would cause less alarm I would think, but just as much "look at these idiots."
    I think you might be right. We have had numerous pairs of people go active killer (San Bernardino, Columbine, the draw Muhammad contest, one of the recent school shootings, and one that I think was in Nevada). I can’t think of any groups larger than that having started murdering folks stateside yet so it makes sense that people aren’t immediately going to condition red when a group of long gun open carriers arrives at an event.
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 09-16-2019 at 10:38 AM.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    I'd leave because:

1. They might be a big group of nuts
    2. Someone might challenge them and they might respond irrationally. What if somebody just tried to get in their face or push one to see how tough they are?
    3. The law could show up and that interaction could go wrong quickly.
    4. A concealed carrier might just draw on them as recently happened.

I've had arguments with folks who think that such behavior will extinguish fear of guns.

Being a psychologist, well versed in learning theory - the postulate that continued exposure will reduce the fear of firearms is an interesting one. The idea that sheer exposure will do this might find some support from desensitization and extinction therapies used for disorders such as phobia.

However, the OC extinction folks miss a crucial point. In the therapeutic use, the noxious stimulus is presented in a manner that is controlled and clearly will produce no harm to the client.

That is not the case with OC (and especially with Modern Sporting Arm (ahem) folks who wander around). There is no guarantee that this OC user is safe. Thus, there is no reason to extinguish the fear. Also, the drumbeat of media portrayals of rampages and other gun crime, through observation and vicarious learning will continue to make the gun a noxious stimulus.

Simple extinction models sound nice don't have sophisticated take on the principles involved.

All in all, OC has been a net negative in the social context of gun usage. Being a theoretical right is correct but pragmatic application can be deleterious. That one can open carry in rural areas doesn't mean that it will be seen as positive in more populated areas without a strong gun culture.
    That annoyed some OC folks.

Site Supporter
    It's obvious that Dummy and the Fat Chick wanted attention. They fit within two categories seen here. One is the stupid and unaware, and the other is immature attention seekers. My small sample consists of lower socio-economic white people. Recently, I talked with an old guy who was open carrying a fine Colt .380 Auto from the early 20th Century. I convinced him to buy a smaller pistol and carry it in his pocket by explaining that his weapon was so valuable that some would knock him in the head to get it. He was working at my house.

I become dismayed and embarrassed when I see others carrying openly. The right is a valuable one that we should exercise only if there is a need. Otherwise we shoot ourselves in the foot. I preach to the choir.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    For the Open Carry advocates on the forum:

How many people were "normalized" to guns that day?
    @triggered, are we? 🙄

Given the behavior of the folks around him and in the immediate area, it looks like quite a few folks there have been "normalized" to guns in their presence; no one seems to be freaking out from what can be seen in the image provided. Looks like they are going about their business instead of getting a case of the "vapors".

It's not the way that I'd OC (certainly not with a rifle and certainly not carried unslung like that) if I had chosen to do so, but some folks just have to make "a tacticool fashion statement". You can't fix "stupid", best to ignore these types or, if you sense trouble brewing....leave.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 09-16-2019 at 11:02 AM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    So if ''one'' engaged in OC is a threat, ''many'' engaged in the same behavior are not?

If I observe behavior that could be described as "alarming", then I'd just as soon have it be only one person rather than a large group.

From the looks of the picture provided in the article, it looks like most of the people surrounding the two people pictured have taken the latter position of "look at those idiots".

Faced with something like this (it is certainly not the way that I'd ever OC) and I sensed something truly wrong, I would leave first, then if that concerned contact local LE and get their input on it.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 09-16-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    @triggered, are we? 🙄

Given the behavior of the folks around him and in the immediate area, it looks like quite a few folks there have been "normalized" to guns in their presence; no one seems to be freaking out from what can be seen in the image provided. Looks like they are going about their business instead of getting a case of the "vapors".

It's not the way that I'd OC (certainly not with a rifle and certainly not carried unslung like that) if I had chosen to do so, but some folks just have to make "a tacticool fashion statement". You can't fix "stupid", best to ignore these types or, if you sense trouble brewing....leave.
    Look, you would have to be living under a rock or sleeping in a van down by the river to not understand the current political climate concerning firearms right now. We are potentially facing sweeping, nationwide restrictions, up to a new AWB. So how does showing up in a public space, inhabited in large part by "normal earth people" help us? Answer: It doesn't. It just adds fuel to the anti's fire that people with firearms are irrational, unable to make good decisions, and in some cases, downright threatening.

You can go on and on with the bullshit of how people will accept it, maybe embrace it, maybe even come over to our side. But I hope that deep down inside, you understand that for the lie that it is. Fact is, most folks just want to live their lives and not be bothered, go to a farmers market with their children and not be accosted by the sight of some non-uniformed, non-LEO identifiable person "swanning" around with a long gun. It cause fear and concern, because they don't know you or your intentions. I don't blame them. It would concern me too.

If you want to express your rights, go get a permit, have a parade or a rally, advertise the event so folks know what is going on. Just appearing out of nowhere, armed with the intent of making a political statement, is really rude and ill mannered.

Also, don't say you are doing this to help me preserve MY rights, I don't need any help.

The rule about "Don't frighten the women and horses", as old as it is, still applies.
    Last edited by wvincent; 09-16-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

User Tag List