Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carry guy at farmer's market in Northern VA

South Dakota recently went “Constitutional Carry.” Rest assured the governor & state legislature didn’t pass it because people took long guns to Starbucks.

For a flip side of this , Open Carry was still legal in CA until relatively recently. It was banned directly because of obnoxious OC activity.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    South Dakota recently went “Constitutional Carry.” Rest assured the governor & state legislature didn’t pass it because people took long guns to Starbucks.

For a flip side of this , Open Carry was still legal in CA until relatively recently. It was banned directly because of obnoxious OC activity.
    Correct on all accounts! Thus why I don't think I'm ever leaving here, no matter how much the winter's suck. Hopefully I'm long dead before the left discover this spot in flyover country.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

While I disagree with OC for a couple reasons, the thing I find most alarming is the idiots like the one in the photo who want to carry a rifle or long gun in their hands. If you are going to OC, for god's sake have the pistol holstered, or a long gun slung. Carrying it in your hands sends the message you are about to do something with it. It's like the OC crowd has no ability to understand context...

Who remembers this douche from Washington State's OC protest? Walking into a government building in a long duster while holding an AR "pistol" at the low ready?
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/was...public-gallery (main pic here)

I can tell you with 99.9% certainty I would shoot him if I saw a dude walk into any public place like that. I would be within policy, and if I'm in policy I'm within the law.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I said what I said based from the majority of what I’ve heard about most open-carriers only aiming to upset the libs.
    Yeah, that's a winner of a strategy. Don't leave anyone on the fence. Don't act responsibly and make your point. Instead, piss off every single one. In a game where a few votes matter, burn it all down.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post

I don’t think using cali as a example is indicative of the rest of the country
    MI had the opposite happen...OC was instrumental in getting shall issue, forcing city/county and LEOs to follow the law and stop wrongly arresting/ticketing people for OC and printing
    I’m not defending the guy in the OP, the discussion seems to moved to OC as whole I’m just giving the other side of the issue

Oils and Lotions SME
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Yeah, that's a winner of a strategy. Don't leave anyone on the fence. Don't act responsibly and make your point. Instead, piss off every single one. In a game where a few votes matter, burn it all down.
    Agree. This is what pisses me off so much.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    While I disagree with OC for a couple reasons, the thing I find most alarming is the idiots like the one in the photo who want to carry a rifle or long gun in their hands. If you are going to OC, for god's sake have the pistol holstered, or a long gun slung. Carrying it in your hands sends the message you are about to do something with it. It's like the OC crowd has no ability to understand context...

Who remembers this douche from Washington State's OC protest? Walking into a government building in a long duster while holding an AR "pistol" at the low ready?

I can tell you with 99.9% certainty I would shoot him if I saw a dude walk into any public place like that. I would be within policy, and if I'm in policy I'm within the law.
    Agree. Gun in hand is gun in use.

There's a crosswalk here in town that's in the middle of a long 45mph street.
    Traffic is required by law to yield to the pedestrian as soon as they enter the crosswalk.
    I could probably get away with just strolling out into traffic on a bright sunny day (people might shake their head if I didn't exercise caution).
    If I dressed up in all black and did it at 2am I'd get splatted within 2 or 3 steps from the curb and everybody would rightfully call me an idiot.
    Both times I would be 100% in the clear legally.
    Only one of those times would I have a good chance at surviving the encounter.
    Dead right is still dead.

Open carry a holstered handgun in public and you might have a few people shake their heads.
    Carry a rifle at the ready in public and not only are people going to call me an idiot, but I might end up splatted.
    100% legal... but dead right is still dead.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post

I remember that guy. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I see the problem here for LE also. There's no way for LE to know what a person's intentions are. Someone calls and says a guy is walking thru a crowd with a semi-auto rifle. That's a defcon 1 situation right there for LE. Personally, I wouldn't stay in close proximity to one of these yahoos for fear of being shot by the police.

Eventually somebody will shoot a guy like this in the head, but at least he made a statement and got his 15 minutes of fame. That has to be worth something.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-17-2019 at 09:43 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I just can’t wrap my mind around permissions slips for any mode of carry or for any reason but if I was, I would agree with you on that one. I just don’t understand why some states allow open carry without a permit but not for conceal carry because you know that most people aren’t going to opt for the fee to exercise their rights. It’s like they are forcing people to open carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    We have both permit for CC and open carry in this state.

Hardly anyone OC's but plenty of people have carry permits. About 8% in my county. I have one and both of my neighbors do also. They don't OC and neither do I.

Might be different where you live, don't know.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-17-2019 at 09:53 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List