Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carry guy at farmer's market in Northern VA

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Correct.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Me? No. See this thread? Want to do that in person? That's what you get, at best.
    I think the time for those conversations is on sites like this, at your LNGS...anywhere but where someone thinks they are doing their bit for 2A rights by OCing. A public argument isn't going to help us at all.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I don't believe in firearms permits, but I have several friends that have pointed out that OC people should be required to get permits and concealed carry should be allowed with no restrictions. I find myself leaning closer to that direction every day.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I don't believe in firearms permits, but I have several friends that have pointed out that OC people should be required to get permits and concealed carry should be allowed with no restrictions. I find myself leaning closer to that direction every day.
    No permit has been required open carry in Colorado since we became a state I wouldn't want that to go backwards even if I never open carry again.

I would be willing to bet that if we got permitless concealed carry (Which would actually require an amendment to the Colorado state constitution) a bunch of these open carry people would quit doing it.

I realize it's apples and oranges but I think in general the Firearms Community would have been a lot better off if all the people that were pushing for open carry had pushed for permitless concealed carry instead.
    Last edited by Cypher; 09-17-2019 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I realize it's apples and oranges but I think in general the Firearms Community would have been a lot better off if all the people that were pushing for open carry had pushed for permitless concealed carry instead.
    No argument from me on that.

Site Supporter
    FWIW, Open Carry is perfectly legal in VA. Additionally, until about 10 years ago, it was essentially required because you could not CCW in a bar. In VA, a bar is essentially any restaurant that served alcohol. I'm not saying you couldn't CCW and drink, you couldn't be in the establishment at all while CCWing. So, you could go with your friends or family to TGIFridays for a burger if you were carrying concealed (we ate a lot of meals in Cracker Barrel as a result). However, you could OC just fine in a bar (restaurant or honest-to-goodness bar). It was not unusal for CCWers to doff their cover garment or tuck it in behind the gat. That, along with a whole bunch of other BS gun laws in VA got changed due to the efforts of the VCDL. Now, CCW is just dandy in a bar or restaurant as long as you're not drinking.

Those changes in the law are exactly what locales such as Alexandria want to revert.

My wife, who is not a gun person even after nearly 20 years of marriage to me (and having a father who is a hunter and CCWer) is not put off by someone OCing a pistol. I suspect she'd have an issue with Mr.Jorts-with-Rifles.

So, not only is pistol OC perfectly acceptable legally and socially, it was actually necessary up to a point. However...OC of long guns was never the intention, nor is it necessary to "normalize guns".

Chris

Site Supporter
    Wanna get 'Red Flagged'? Because OC'ing like that is how you get red flagged. The fucking jorts are icing on the shit-cake. The goddamn jorts are actually more offesive than the shrub-master.

OC vs CCW isn't the discussion we need right now. It wasn't one in 2016, 2017, 2018 etc...especially in Texas.

in 2019, 2020, 2021...2030...OC is a purely political ploy. Its virtue signaling in purest form.

In 1880 on the frontier, OC was a part of life. It wasn't even OC--it was how you got shit done.

No matter how much we wring our hands, shake them at the sky, scream into pillows--right now OC is just not a tolerable way of protesting or a way of life.

People are utterly losing their shit over the sight of a firearm. People running from a Harley backfiring...People are having to confront a reality that at any time a random human being is going to start firing at them. For most people this is a reality they can't and won't accept. There are a dozen folks now running for President on some variation of a scheme to remove you from your 1st, 2nd, and 4th amendment rights--and they are getting standing-fucking-ovations. They will take any excuse to use executive action to make this happen. This is not a healthy and productive backdrop to make your case for OC or normalzing folks to carrying weapons.

We are a very, very long way from the point where casual OC of any weapon is normalized. It isn't the 1880's frontier (although Hobbs and Seminole feel that way sometimes). If modern life turned to such conditions, OC wouldn't be some political victory. It'd be a sad and embarrassing reality that you can't go to the goddamn grocery store without a rifle to protect your family's one month supply of goods from outlaws and savages. It was a brutal fucking existence that bares no realistic similarity to today.

On another note...want to normalize the ownership and use of weapons? Great...so do I. Folks are way too far gone from their own accountability in their survival. I get it. However look at the Mary-J movement. Did they advocate for folks to shoot up in the streets as a form of protest? Did they walk around blowing their doobie-smoke into people's faces? Were people doing lines of cocaine in Walmart as a form of protest?

NOPE!
    Last edited by fixer; 09-17-2019 at 06:23 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    On another note...want to normalize the ownership and use of weapons? Great...so do I. Folks are way too far gone from their own accountability in their survival. I get it. However look at the Mary-J movement. Did they advocate for folks to shoot up in the streets as a form of protest? Did they walk around blowing their doobie-smoke into people's faces? Were people doing lines of cocaine in Walmart as a form of protest?

NOPE!
    That's why I don't even mention self defense or any of that when I'm trying to recruit new shooters. I talk about the fun aspects and compare it to golf, darts, and any number of other hand-eye-coordination sports or games. It's fun. It's challenging. It's an activity you can engage in with your friends and family. It's...wholesome.

First hit is free...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I've said for years that instead of advocating for OC, they should be advocating for the ability to carry on campus or other areas that are currently restricted. Every time OC advocates pop up, they manage to kill the chances of other needed changes.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Wanna get 'Red Flagged'? Because OC'ing like that is how you get red flagged. The fucking jorts are icing on the shit-cake. The goddamn jorts are actually more offesive than the shrub-master.

OC vs CCW isn't the discussion we need right now. It wasn't one in 2016, 2017, 2018 etc...especially in Texas.

in 2019, 2020, 2021...2030...OC is a purely political ploy. Its virtue signaling in purest form.

In 1880 on the frontier, OC was a part of life. It wasn't even OC--it was how you got shit done.

No matter how much we wring our hands, shake them at the sky, scream into pillows--right now OC is just not a tolerable way of protesting or a way of life.

People are utterly losing their shit over the sight of a firearm. People running from a Harley backfiring...People are having to confront a reality that at any time a random human being is going to start firing at them. For most people this is a reality they can't and won't accept. There are a dozen folks now running for President on some variation of a scheme to remove you from your 1st, 2nd, and 4th amendment rights--and they are getting standing-fucking-ovations. They will take any excuse to use executive action to make this happen. This is not a healthy and productive backdrop to make your case for OC or normalzing folks to carrying weapons.

We are a very, very long way from the point where casual OC of any weapon is normalized. It isn't the 1880's frontier (although Hobbs and Seminole feel that way sometimes). If modern life turned to such conditions, OC wouldn't be some political victory. It'd be a sad and embarrassing reality that you can't go to the goddamn grocery store without a rifle to protect your family's one month supply of goods from outlaws and savages. It was a brutal fucking existence that bares no realistic similarity to today.

NOPE!
    Good information here. Although I am still a firm believer that open carry- not what these libs refer to as an almighty assault rifle but, open pistol carry can have its place in society if done correctly. This is just my opinion. Do I open carry? No. Out in the woods or outside at the home 20 sometimes? Yes. Do I agree with open carry in urban environments? I don’t really have a straight up answer to that totally but, there are many reasons why I prefer concealed carry and a lot what you all already posted in this thread alone is why I conceal carry.

Although I do sometimes think it’s funny when somebody open carries just to piss off the liberals but unfortunately, constantly scaring and pissing people like that off is what’s probably going to lead to even more gun control. These people are scared, and they’re tired of all the shootings that keep happening and they refuse to not see everybody openly carrying anything as a threat, that it’s just gonna make more problems for us in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List