Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carry guy at farmer's market in Northern VA

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    So, what you try to talk to this guy to get him to stop? And if so, what would you say?
    Initial thought is that an armed man, confronting another openly armed man, to talk about how he is wrong, could end badly.

However, upon further review, I might consider the following, if my family were not present.

Strike up a conversation, play dumb, invite him to sit for a cup of coffee. Let him talk, pontificate, bloviate at length, and then after careful evaluation, possibly reveal that you too are enthusiastic about the 2A. Share what you do to increase awareness and further the shooting Sports.
    Taking a break from social media.

I am going to go ahead acknowledge that I am about to pose a suggestion/question that, in all likelihood, is a bad idea.

So, if any of ya値l found yourself there at the farmer痴 market when this fool shows up, is there any prospect of perhaps talking to him and trying to get him/them to understand why doing what they are doing undermines the very thing that they purport to be trying to accomplish? And if you were to undertake this Quixotic quest, how would you approach that conversation? Serious question. As distasteful and frustrating of a conversation that this would be, at the end of the day he is undermining *our* rights and how *we* are viewed by the non-shooting public. And this one tac-tard act is going to leave an impression on far more many voters than all of the responsible gun-owning activities of everyone on this board combined.

So, what you try to talk to this guy to get him to stop? And if so, what would you say?
    It might be a bad idea, but at it core it is still an astute question and one that underlies the posts that I have made.

Many claim that there is a problem, yet no solutions have been offered.

Gonna sit tight and watch. Maybe something good comes of this. We'll see.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    So, if any of ya値l found yourself there at the farmer痴 market when this fool shows up, is there any prospect of perhaps talking to him and trying to get him/them to understand why doing what they are doing undermines the very thing that they purport to be trying to accomplish?
    Me? No. See this thread? Want to do that in person? That's what you get, at best.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Hell, I'll admit to not really cottoning to a workman I didn't know OC'ing on my property when he was there to do some concrete work on my walk.

He was a middle aged gentleman and, as it turned out, a good and likable guy, but I sort of wanted to know that before I came upon someone just showing up armed.
    Last edited by blues; 09-16-2019 at 02:05 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

If I get the opportunity to ask one of these fellas what their plan was for being leg- or ankle-kicked from their 6, while not coming across as confrontational or condescending, I値l take it.

It could be an illuminating conversation for at least one of us - worst case it値l be a real life version of the piss tasting going on in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Ever since I've been on this forum I've had a history of being abrasive and holding no punches. I assure you, as can the rest of the forum that has known me since the beginning that this is not what my posts look like when I'm triggered.
    I'll vouch for TGS on this. He and I both have abrasive personalities and tend to not hold punches. And we've exchanged blows a time or two. But I interpreted nothing out of his question as anything less than the question asked and nothing more than a semi-serious question with a hint or sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Nobody ever went vegetarian after having a PETA-tard throw blood all over their leather coat.
    True story.

If a PETA-tard threw blood on my leather jacket, we'd be having a discussion about how they'll be paying for the replacement or repair of that object.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Hell, I'll admit to not really cottoning to a workman I didn't know OC'ing on my property when he was there to do some concrete work on my walk.
    That is actually perfectly legitimate. Seriously, your private property and you have the absolute right to prefer to be aware of individuals carrying arms and being entitled to discuss your concerns with said individual directly.

Which I suppose gets to the heart of these OC issues. We not only have rights to carry arms, we have rights to not be carried at. I'd guess most OC people don't understand what the Constitution means...Because the number of times I've heard stupid things like, "You (the individual) cannot deny ma rights!" Let's me know that people have a fundamental misunderstanding of how rights in this nation work.

Site Supporter
    If I saw a dude carrying an AR in a mall or farmers's market, I would be tempted to walk behind in case somebody needed to shoot him in the head. There is some jest to this statement. Some not all. First let me say that tailing people for such purpose is not in my nature. Neither is shooting another. But.....

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    That is actually perfectly legitimate. Seriously, your private property and you have the absolute right to prefer to be aware of individuals carrying arms and being entitled to discuss your concerns with said individual directly.
    Yes, Rob, I'm well aware of the law and my rights under them.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Move this thread back to civility, please.
    Name:  you giph.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  27.4 KB

If so, consider me apologized. I could have said it way better.
    "And for a regular dude I知 maybe okay...but what I learned is if there痴 a door, I知 going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    If I get the opportunity to ask one of these fellas what their plan was for being leg- or ankle-kicked from their 6, while not coming across as confrontational or condescending, I値l take it.

It could be an illuminating conversation for at least one of us - worst case it値l be a real life version of the piss tasting going on in this thread
    From experience, you'll be told it's never happened. That OCers are never disarmed is a sacred belief. I have the advantage of having multiple case files of it happening that I personally worked. Then those guys just failed "situational awareness". Not much you can do when 3 people ambush you and know enough rudimentary tactics to approach from different angles. Then how do I know they were targeted for their guns? Maybe the gun was just a happy accident? From the interviews with suspects who were caught. You might then get "well, concealed guns get stolen to". Yes, they do...which means they weren't concealed very well or it was a happy accident...but usually the first. CC gun grabs have mostly been either known parties or gun sale ambushes, sometimes both. Then it will either bifurcate into I'm a liar or it'll never happen to me.

I've tilted at the windmill before.

OC isn't always harmful. I remember rallies in Ohio to get concealed carry passed where state residents were encouraged to open carry a handgun and out of state residents were encouraged to wear an empty holster (it was unclear if the state open-carry-with-no-license applied to residents only or not and the organizers didn't want any test cases). Context matters, though. The more people that see you as a "problem" are more people supporting the eventual "solution".
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List