Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carry guy at farmer's market in Northern VA

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    For the Open Carry advocates on the forum:

How many people were "normalized" to guns that day?
    That's part of the problem with these clowns. What does it mean to normalize something? That is going to vary from person to person. Take myself for example, I carry concealed every single day, shoot multiple times a week, "bin shootin fir yurs", my wife, father, and mother are staunchly pro gun. I view open carry as deviant in all but a few instances. OC advocates want to normalize Suzie soccer mom to firearms, by strolling through a public place? You cant even normalize me.
    Taking a break from social media.

Exposure of deadly weapons does not desensitize people. Instead ,it quite rationally puts them on edge. Scaring the client is not the best marketing strategy.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

If you'd bothered to read my post, you'd see that at no time did I ever state that I agreed with what they were doing―

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    @triggered, are we? 🙄

Given the behavior of the folks around him and in the immediate area, it looks like quite a few folks there have been "normalized" to guns in their presence; no one seems to be freaking out from what can be seen in the image provided. Looks like they are going about their business instead of getting a case of the "vapors".

It's not the way that I'd OC (certainly not with a rifle and certainly not carried unslung like that) if I had chosen to do so, but some folks just have to make "a tacticool fashion statement". You can't fix "stupid", best to ignore these types or, if you sense trouble brewing....leave.
    ―however, having a "hissy fit" when you get "triggered" by seeing something that you dislike or disagree with solves nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Look, you would have to be living under a rock or sleeping in a van down by the river to not understand the current political climate concerning firearms right now. We are potentially facing sweeping, nationwide restrictions, up to a new AWB. So how does showing up in a public space, inhabited in large part by "normal earth people" help us? Answer: It doesn't. It just adds fuel to the anti's fire that people with firearms are irrational, unable to make good decisions, and in some cases, downright threatening.

You can go on and on with the bullshit of how people will accept it, maybe embrace it, maybe even come over to our side. But I hope that deep down inside, you understand that for the lie that it is. Fact is, most folks just want to live their lives and not be bothered, go to a farmers market with their children and not be accosted by the sight of some non-uniformed, non-LEO identifiable person "swanning" around with a long gun. It cause fear and concern, because they don't know you or your intentions. I don't blame them. It would concern me too.

If you want to express your rights, go get a permit, have a parade or a rally, advertise the event so folks know what is going on. Just appearing out of nowhere, armed with the intent of making a political statement, is really rude and ill mannered.

Also, don't say you are doing this to help me preserve MY rights, I don't need any help.

The rule about "Don't frighten the women and horses", as old as it is, still applies.
    Sure, the rule applies, but judging from the images provided in the article, no one seems to have been "spooked" except for a notable few here.

I don't like seeing stupid behavior either, but there is little that I can do to stop others from doing stuff like that.

It is simply not worth the additional blood pressure (e.g.: "hissy fits", breathless exclamations of disbelief and dislike) that it requires....
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    If you'd bothered to read my post, you'd see that at no time did I ever state that I agreed with what they were doing―

―however, having a "hissy fit" when you get "triggered" by seeing something that you dislike or disagree with solves nothing.

Sure, the rule applies, but judging from the images provided in the article, no one seems to have been "spooked" except for a notable few here.

I don't like seeing stupid behavior either, but there is little that I can do to stop others from doing stuff like that.

It is simply not worth the additional blood pressure (e.g.: "hissy fits", breathless exclamations of disbelief and dislike) that it requires....
    Judging by the man on the streets interviews in the link, I don't think anyone was normalized.
    I guess one persons hissy fit or triggered is just another persons concern for their safety.
    Using snarky catch phrases doesn't change the fact that you are causing fear in the general populace.
    If OC advocates can't convince the majority on this forum, how do you think normal people feel?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Per the article it wasn't just one person but a group. That would cause less alarm I would think, but just as much "look at these idiots."
    I don't know, 5 persons almost sounds like a cell to me.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    For the Open Carry advocates on the forum:

How many people were "normalized" to guns that day?
    None.

Would be better if a scout troop was marching with .22s or if a hunter had a rifle slung over his back while mountain biking from his home (as was legal in my youth here, but no longer is).
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 09-16-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I'd leave because:

1. They might be a big group of nuts
    2. Someone might challenge them and they might respond irrationally. What if somebody just tried to get in their face or push one to see how tough they are?
    3. The law could show up and that interaction could go wrong quickly.
    4. A concealed carrier might just draw on them as recently happened.

I've had arguments with folks who think that such behavior will extinguish fear of guns.

That annoyed some OC folks.
    ALso if they are OCing for a political statement, why are they doing it with a mag in?

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    If OC advocates can't convince the majority on this forum, how do you think normal people feel?
    Oh, does the "majority" (whatever the Hell that is supposed to be) on this forum have some sort of special legislative/moral authority that I was not made aware of?
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    The OC folks in TX managed to produce the ever increasing number of 30.07 signs with some associated 30.06s. Not too much successful behavior therapy there.

I have suggested that OC folks also promote their rights to wear nothing but a flesh colored thong (as a guy did here for grins). I suggest they do that in the public library parking lot where loads of school children leave their buses for the associated park and playground (along with library events).

Please extinguish their fear of guns and lard ass human bodies. Fat shaming is a problem as seen by the controversy surrounding Bill Maher's comments on fat. Thus, kill two birds with one stone. No long afraid of guns and fat, these kids will be psychological health.

Now since I use that library a good deal, what should I do when AR-15 lardball in a thong gets off by the school bus. Call the law or shout Hurray for the RKBA and the Right to Keep a Bare Ass!

Oils and Lotions SME
    I'm sick to death of this, at best, misguided attention whoring.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

User Tag List