Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carry guy at farmer's market in Northern VA

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Hell, I'll admit to not really cottoning to a workman I didn't know OC'ing on my property when he was there to do some concrete work on my walk.

He was a middle aged gentleman and, as it turned out, a good and likable guy, but I sort of wanted to know that before I came upon someone just showing up armed.
    If only other's behaviors were as measured as yours. My guess, from the impression that I have of you from this board, is that you probably wandered out to the guy, struck up a friendly conversation and discovered what you did.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    There are genuine OCers out there; thanks for acknowledging that. Not all of them are "stupid", "retards" or "attention whores".

Nice to see that there are some here who see it as necessary right (appreciated your post #91 LL!) and can refrain from name-calling because they dislike the right (or law) or see it as some sort of an ''evil''.
    I pose this question with no ill intent; if the option to carry concealed exists and there’s no legal restriction , why carry openly?

Exercising your right is no less true regardless of whether your shirt is atop or behind the grip. Data historically showed most LEOs were killed with their own openly carried firearms; that’s a substantial risk to assume. Within conversation distance , at some angles an offender can get to the gun faster then you can. After witnessing an oblivious LA security guard order a drink with his head down and XD openly presented for all to grab , Ive taken to calling it “charity carry”- as with one moment’s lapse of attention you’ll be donating the gun.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I pose this question with no ill intent; if the option to carry concealed exists and there’s no legal restriction , why carry openly?

Exercising your right is no less true regardless of whether your shirt is atop or behind the grip. Data historically showed most LEOs were killed with their own openly carried firearms; that’s a substantial risk to assume. Within conversation distance , at some angles an offender can get to the gun faster then you can. After witnessing an oblivious LA security guard order a drink with his head down and XD openly presented for all to grab , Ive taken to calling it “charity carry”- as with one moment’s lapse of attention you’ll be donating the gun.
    In a rural (ranching or hiking) environment I would rather OC. More comfortable and there may be critters.
    But in that context I am not annoying anyone or around much anyone frankly.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 09-17-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post

Sometimes it is for my own comfort, for others merely my own convenience. There are those here who get all upset about and say that it is not a legitimate reason, but here in Ohio (where it is constitutionally enumerated) I can do that and sometimes choose to do so rather than sweat my clothes through. Fortunately, those complaining about my practice are not in a position to deny it. Just as they make their own choices, I also have that same ability. Of course, I never carry a long gun (so ''slung'' or ''unslung'' is never a question that needs to answered) as it is not practical and eliminates the convenience of a having a smaller pistol. On those rare occasions that I do OC, I am dressed "business casual". I smile and engage those I meet (whether they notice the gun or not) with friendly conversation and humor. I am always aware of my surroundings. The name-calling (e.g.: "stupid", "retarded", etc.) is suggestive of folks who've no valid argument to offer. Could not care less of about their bloviating...

I carried openly as LE here in Ohio, and in other jurisdictions, and survived three weapon snatch attempts during the course of my LE employment and even with that I support the right of the people to avail themselves of OC as they see fit.

Will some folks misuse or flaunt it? Sure. Not much that I can do about it.

When they get "ventilated" (as some here use the parlance), then the courts can sort out the liability of all involved.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

There are genuine OCers out there; thanks for acknowledging that. Not all of them are "stupid", "retards" or "attention whores".

Nice to see that there are some here who see it as necessary right (appreciated your post #91 LL!) and can refrain from name-calling because they dislike the right (or law) or see it as some sort of an ''evil''.
    I think almost everyone here thinks that it is a necessary right.

The difference is being a responsible citizen with our rights.

The citizens of Athens, Tennessee circa 1946? Rooftop Korean-Americans circa 1992? @GJM flying his bush plane or @Malamute living his best life in the mountains? All perfect examples of why open carry needs to be a right, and I think everyone here is onboard with that.

The "Open Carry Movement"? Not a good example of why it needs to be a right.

In the end, regardless of whether one thinks OC activists are attention whoring retards or "genuine", reason demands that we look at the impact that open carry activism has. This is the reason I asked my previous question, how many people were "normalized" to guns that day?

If the default response (as it always has been with OC activists, IME) is to get defensive and indignant because someone would even ask that question, then I think that's pretty indicative and self-evident of the true answer and reason people are partaking in this movement.

I am always aware of my surroundings.
    Ah, there it is.

Anyone know if Donut Operator has an OC bingo game yet? I love his bingo games.
    Last edited by TGS; 09-17-2019 at 02:07 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    My reference to printing/accidental exposure did/does = OC in MI’s case...OC and buy extension printing/accidental exposure has always been LEGAL in MI, City’s/ counties and LEOs just decided they could apply the law how they wanted and either ticketed or arrested people on BS charges of brandishing or disturbing the peace
    OC “educators” are who put a stop to this, not CC only guys, not hunting only fudds and not LEOs
    So while there are plenty of douche bag OCers not all are just like not all CCers,LEOs or hunters are apathetic “appeasement” is the answer douche bags
    In TX OC ‘we are, and have been the biggest impediment to rolling back restrictions on firearms. Period.

Open Carry Texas are THE reason TX does not have constitutional Carry today. Armed occupation of legislative offices, death threats vs legislators and armed protests at legislators homes are not education.

What ever Michigan does, my point is that open carry is not required to write a statute that prevents legal action for printing and accidental exposures while carrying concealed. Michigan May have chosen to address it via OC but that does not mean OC is necessary to mitigate printing and accidental exposure issues. It can and has been addressed without OC in TX and elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    In TX OC ‘we are, and have been the biggest impediment to rolling back restrictions on firearms. Period.

Open Carry Texas are THE reason TX does not have constitutional Carry today. Armed occupation of legislative offices, death threats vs legislators and armed protests at legislators homes are not education.

What ever Michigan does, my point is that open carry is not required to write a statute that prevents legal action for printing and accidental exposures while carrying concealed. Michigan May have chosen to address it via OC but that does not mean OC is necessary to mitigate printing and accidental exposure issues. It can and has been addressed without OC in TX and elsewhere.
    I guess I’m not being clear, MI didn’t address printing/accidental exposure through OC....printing/ accidental exposure had never been illegal in MI because OC has never been illegal in MI LEOs chose to enforce their idea of what was acceptable by charging with brandishing or disturbing the peace...it took OC activists going in large groups to “educate”the city and police departments

I don’t live in Texas but from what I’ve seen the gun laws there were never that good (comparatively) I would guess that constitutional carry was never gonna happen the OC idiots there just gave them a easy scapu

Site Supporter
    As far as being a human AEGIS system for snatch attempts:

1. Expertise - it has been know for quite a long time that high levels of vigilance can be maintained only for about 20 minutes. You cannot always be 'on'. Well tested.

2. Not being an LEO, snatches from a LEO encounter that are close in wrestling matches are not really relevant to the civilian. He or she may not have a retention holster. He or she may not be in good shape. The snatches for an officer might give more precursor warning signs than a civilian at a gas pump.

A planned snatch of a civilian, spotted by some tough kid or kids, might start with a distraction and rather than gun grab - how about stabbing you a few times? How about a few shots from the Lorcin 25 ACP as your warning sign?

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...nds-open-carry

Piratically useless, the habituation argument is BS. As far as dress and sweat, wah, wah. 99 Degrees here today - concealed a Glock 9 and extra mag.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    IMO the greatest sin committed by the OC movement is that they use guns as a symbol of something greater than they actually are - the same fundamental philosophical mistake of the anti-2A argument.

They are not toys or props, do not treat them as such. When they are used for their intended, lawful purpose, there are no problems, and never have been. Remember how long the machine gun registry was open for?

To the lay public, the civilian AR-15 remained successfully anonymous for many decades. I know the cat is well out of the bag, but I would very much like to return to that status quo.

No idea what you are referring to here. Clarify, please? Not sure if snark, humor, a combination of both, some inside joke here on the P-F that I missed...

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Anyone know if Donut Operator has an OC bingo game yet? I love his bingo games.

User Tag List