Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: In 2019 - It's okay to not have BUIS on your defensive AR

Completely agree with this statement from Jay. Leupold Tactical Prismatic optic with etched reticle works better for me in this application then my Aimpoint T- series. I have gone back and forth with front sight up/down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    If mission drives the gear train, then the mission of my short 5.56mm carbine is home defense, and possible property defense. Inside it's going to look a lot like the classic CQB mission requirements. Magnified optics aren't the right gear. A variable can work, but is likely very expensive overkill. Irons alone are proven inferior against

A reliable, large tube 1X optic with a fixed or deployed front iron sight. Rear optional or mounted and simply folded away.

For me and my mission - simple arithmetic.

For my part (like rob mentioned) I need to shoot it with the dot turned off to make sure I know where it hits at inside house distances. If the rear is mounted, then I need to zero it at 100 yards using the small aperture.

If my optic can come off quickly, I need to zero the irons with the optic off the gun. If my optic does not come off quickly, then I need to zero my irons through the optic.

More simple arithmetic.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Can iron sights be seen through a 1x optic? I know they can be seen fine through a common 0x red dot/holographic sight (Aimpoint, PA, Romeo, EOTech etc), but I've never tried using iron sights with a 1x in place.
    Not any one I've used, but I see that Jay cleared that up. I agree totally with him. I like to run FSB carbines, or those with D.D. fixed fronts. I use the "dead" Aimpoint as a giant ghost ring and you'd be stunned at the accuracy you can get out to even 100 yards on man sized steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I’m talking about a zero magnification optical aiming aid. A 30mm Aimpoint.
    Got it
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post
    Eotech, aimpoint etc are 1x optics as they dont offer any magnification (1 times the picture just equals the picture)
    There's a difference between a 1x optic and a 0x optic. A 1x optic can be a fixed power or part of a zoom. 1x optics have a focal length.

Ox is like looking through a pane of glass. If an Aimpoint is a 1x optic, so are iron sights.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-17-2019 at 11:37 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Magnification is the ratio of the size of the image to the size of the object. When the image and the object sizes are equal, the magnification is 1x.

Magnification less than one is a wide angle lens.

There can’t be 0x magnification.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Indeed - it would be the visual equivalent of a divide by zero error.

Magnification is the ratio of the size of the image to the size of the object. When the image and the object sizes are equal, the magnification is 1x.

You math guys sure know how to piss in the punch bowl.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I like having BUIS on my rifles because I enjoy shooting irons at the range too. Nice to be able to yank off my aimpoint or LPVO and shoot irons for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    You math guys sure know how to piss in the punch bowl.
    Sorry. But not really.

This thread inspired me to experiment with a front-only BUIS on my 300BO pistol. I have a TLR7 at 12:00 and a mostly smooth handguard. But there's a small rail section in front of the optic. I put the BUIS there, and am surprised how well it works (at least in dryfire).
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

When looking through a scope, the scope projects an image of the object. When you look through an Aimpoint (or simple pane of glass or with nothing between the eye and the object) your eye sees the object, not a projected image. A 1x optic projects an image of the object at a 1:1 ratio. A 0x "optic" does not project an image.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-18-2019 at 02:26 PM.

User Tag List