Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: In 2019 - It's okay to not have BUIS on your defensive AR

Every carbine and AR pistol we have are wearing BUIS, even the M&P 15-22s.

It's 2019, optics are no longer the common failure point as long as you're not buying them off Wish, it's the batteries that I don't completely trust...and like Doc and Jody pointed out, verifying your dot has shifted with the BUIS is a plus.

Is there an argument stated as to why you would take them off? It seems like the weight add is not material, and you already have it on.

If mission drives the gear train, then the mission of my short 5.56mm carbine is home defense, and possible property defense. Inside it's going to look a lot like the classic CQB mission requirements. Magnified optics aren't the right gear. A variable can work, but is likely very expensive overkill. Irons alone are proven inferior against

A reliable, large tube 1X optic with a fixed or deployed front iron sight. Rear optional or mounted and simply folded away.

For me and my mission - simple arithmetic.

For my part (like rob mentioned) I need to shoot it with the dot turned off to make sure I know where it hits at inside house distances. If the rear is mounted, then I need to zero it at 100 yards using the small aperture.

If my optic can come off quickly, I need to zero the irons with the optic off the gun. If my optic does not come off quickly, then I need to zero my irons through the optic.

More simple arithmetic.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 09-16-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    If mission drives the gear train, then the mission of my short 5.56mm carbine is home defense, and possible property defense. Inside it's going to look a lot like the classic CQB mission requirements. Magnified optics aren't the right gear. A variable can work, but is likely very expensive overkill. Irons alone are proven inferior against

A reliable, large tube 1X optic with a fixed or deployed front iron sight. Rear optional or mounted and simply folded away.

For me and my mission - simple arithmetic.

For my part (like rob mentioned) I need to shoot it with the dot turned off to make sure I know where it hits at inside house distances. If the rear is mounted, then I need to zero it at 100 yards using the small aperture.

If my optic can come off quickly, I need to zero the irons with the optic off the gun. If my optic does not come off quickly, then I need to zero my irons through the optic.

More simple arithmetic.
    Can iron sights be seen through a 1x optic? I know they can be seen fine through a common 0x red dot/holographic sight (Aimpoint, PA, Romeo, EOTech etc), but I've never tried using iron sights with a 1x in place.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-16-2019 at 09:33 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Can iron sights be seen through a 1x optic? I know they can be seen fine through a common 0x red dot/holographic sight (Aimpoint, PA, Romeo, EOTech etc), but I've never tried using iron sights with a 1x in place.
    Eotech, aimpoint etc are 1x optics as they dont offer any magnification (1 times the picture just equals the picture)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I’m talking about a zero magnification optical aiming aid. A 30mm Aimpoint.

1x = zero magnification

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I guess this is what we're doing now, faux-controversial troll posts?
    Yes. That and click bait titles.

The view-count indicator is probably contributing to it.

BUIS with RDS is a great idea.

What seems retarded to me is people who put buis behind shit like ACOGs and Elcans.
    Like, you are completely fucking your eye relief or length of pull with ypur primary so you can have a backup optic that you will never use.

If the optic relies on a battery for the reticle to be seen, it gets backup sights.

User Tag List